E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Joey 330ci

My Ride: 330ci
E46 **headlights** help

Hey Guys,

So I bought my 01 330ci about 6 months ago and its been having all sorts of problems since I bought the damn thing. One of the things that that I need to fix immediately is my headlights. The original owner of the car had replaced the oem headlights with Eagle Eye headlights with HID's or whatever. The problem is that he did a horrible job installing these things and half the halos are dead and the projectors are not aligned correctly. There is also moisture inside of the housing because when it rains i can see the lenses fogging up. He used some sort of cheap $30 boxes to power them somehow and my Mechanic and myself have decided to avoid from fixing these or reusing them in anyway. They look identical to the DEPO projector headlights and I really like the styling of them. So my question is: What would be the best headlight option that is completely plug and play ABSOLUTELY no modification or DIY. I don't want to buy junk and I've heard bad things about DEPO headlights. I dont want to run into the same problems I am currently experiencing with the moisture or the lights dimming and I want them to plug in like oem headlights and not with those stupid electrical boxes that are zip tied under the hood. **I will provide pictures soon** I dont understand the differences between HID, Projector, LED, Halo, Halogen, Xenon and anytime I read any threads about this topic I can hardly understand what anyone is talking about. I just want halos, I want them to be bright enough to see, I want them to be white light, and I want them to be reliable and Plug and Play. Does that exist or am i going to have to pay some kid to diy some oem ones i bought from ebay which would be the LAST thing I want to do. Any help is greatly appreciated and ill be willing to listen to anyone's opinions on the matter because I'm sure you know much more than I do.

I just wish I could buy headlights online have someone install them and call it a day, but its never that easy is it
Joey 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey 330ci View Post
Hey Guys,

So I bought my 01 330ci about 6 months ago and its been having all sorts of problems since I bought the damn thing. One of the things that that I need to fix immediately is my headlights. The original owner of the car had replaced the oem headlights with Eagle Eye headlights with HID's or whatever. The problem is that he did a horrible job installing these things and half the halos are dead and the projectors are not aligned correctly. There is also moisture inside of the housing because when it rains i can see the lenses fogging up. He used some sort of cheap $30 boxes to power them somehow and my Mechanic and myself have decided to avoid from fixing these or reusing them in anyway. They look identical to the DEPO projector headlights and I really like the styling of them. So my question is: What would be the best headlight option that is completely plug and play ABSOLUTELY no modification or DIY. I don't want to buy junk and I've heard bad things about DEPO headlights. I dont want to run into the same problems I am currently experiencing with the moisture or the lights dimming and I want them to plug in like oem headlights and not with those stupid electrical boxes that are zip tied under the hood. **I will provide pictures soon** I dont understand the differences between HID, Projector, LED, Halo, Halogen, Xenon and anytime I read any threads about this topic I can hardly understand what anyone is talking about. I just want halos, I want them to be bright enough to see, I want them to be white light, and I want them to be reliable and Plug and Play. Does that exist or am i going to have to pay some kid to diy some oem ones i bought from ebay which would be the LAST thing I want to do. Any help is greatly appreciated and ill be willing to listen to anyone's opinions on the matter because I'm sure you know much more than I do.

I just wish I could buy headlights online have someone install them and call it a day, but its never that easy is it
Is your car halogen or xenon originally? eBay is where I got my factory Xenon units used.

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Joey 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Is your car halogen or xenon originally? eBay is where I got my factory Xenon units used.
I have no idea. Its an 01 so its prefacelifted
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: Project 330xi
You should be able to find a vendor that has a complete plug-n-play DEPO set for sale. I'd say that DEPO as far as quality is so-so. Their fitment is OK and the initial quality is decent. They don't age well though, at least through my experience.

My suggestion is to try and source a set of OEM Xenons. They are pretty easy to find these days and will likely run you about the same price as a full projector/HID kit.

I'd also take some time to browse our Lighting Forum to familiarize yourself will all of the lighting terms.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
protocol1

My Ride: 2001 330i
OEM HID xenon headlights are available on eBay. If not already installed. add the halo lights before installing the headlight assemblies. If your car is not factory fitted with HID xenon lamps, you won't have the auto leveling function, but that will not be a problem since auto leveling only compensates for the load on the car. The OEM HID headlights are made by Automotive Lighting, AL, a Bosch owned company.
The subject of headlight tech for our cars can be somewhat confusing at first, but after reading up on the subject should be less of a mystery. I suggest posting here any questions you can't find answers to already, someone will be able to clarify the terms of the technology.
protocol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Joey 330ci

Did I forget to mention that my driver's side headlight is constantly going out so i have to pull over on the side of the road pop the hood and hit the box to get it to come on again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_155551.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	650249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_155600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	650250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_155902.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	650251   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_155905.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	650252  

Old 02-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
dh3225

My Ride: 2001 E46 Convertible
theretrofitsource.com

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/partners/

dh3225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 AM   #8
protocol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey 330ci View Post
Did I forget to mention that my driver's side headlight is constantly going out so i have to pull over on the side of the road pop the hood and hit the box to get it to come on again
Replace the ballast.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Joey 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol1 View Post
Replace the ballast.
So after doing some research I'm starting to get a better understanding of what to do and I have a friend that could help me diy my headlights becuase it just seems like that's the best option at this point even though it wasn't what I originally wanted to toffer. Is the ballast the box that controls the hid?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
protocol1

Yes, the ballast controls the voltage supplied to the HID lamp/burner. The applied voltage and current is varied during the lamp ignition and warm up stages. The ballast is designed to provide tight voltage and current control to the HID lamp. Being full of various electronic components, failure of any one will cause different malfunctions of the headlight, or complete failure. Individual electronic parts randomly fail, that is the way electronics devices malfunction.

See:http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/r...-ballasts.html

Last edited by protocol1; 02-17-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Tags
halo, headlights, hid, projector, xenon