E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Stevesimpson94

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci
E46 Climate Control - Blows Cold

I set my climate control to 23C (England) and select auto.

The heater starts blowing warm air and the air temperature in the cab raises to what feels like 23C which is great.

But....

After about 10/15mins all the heater vents start to blow cold. Including foot vents and the centre vent. If i increase the temp to 25C it gets warmer again but then after 10/15mins starts blowing cold again.

Is this normal? If not WTF is going on. i just want to be able to leave it on 23 without getting hypothermia, all engine temps and water levels are spot on.

Its as though its timered to start blowing cold after its reached the desired temp on the climate control. Its not like any other climate control system iv used before.

Please some shed some light on this, tell me how yours works.

cheers

steve
Stevesimpson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
No, that's not normal. Is the AC coming on? Is the AC "snowflake" off?

There's a temperature sensor in the heating coil. The system is designed to stop coolant from flowing through the heater coil if the coil temperature gets too high. I've seen a couple of posts where the owner replaced the sensor and the heat started working properly. Also, there's a cabin air temperature sensor in the climate control module. That could be going bad.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Stevesimpson94

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci
No the air con doesnt come on because i never have it selected. But when i do have it selected i can hear it dropping in and out as though it is working correctly.

So lets conclude; air con off - heater drops cold after 10/15mins as though the valve is shutting not allowing hot water through the coil.

air con on - i can hear the air con coming in and out accordingly.

SO ... possible temp sensor in heater coil or cabin temp sensor. brilliant.

How could i check these sensors? Any way of INPA diagnosing the hole climate control system?

Thanks for you input mate
Stevesimpson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
E46 Climate Control - Blows Cold

I'm not familiar with inpa software but it may be able to check that sensor. You might find someone with the same model year car and swap IHKAs to see what happens. You could shotgun it and replace the sensor. Unfortunately realoem doesn't show that sensor. It doesn't show the AC evaporator temp sensor either. Check with the dealer.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 02-22-2017 at 09:30 AM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesimpson94 View Post
How could i check these sensors? Any way of INPA diagnosing the hole climate control system?
Yup, INPA is very useful for diagnosing IHKA issues.
https://goo.gl/images/hHmC1J
https://goo.gl/images/B9N1QO

Read this document as well.
http://bmwcarx.com/web/DocumentosBMW...lClimatico.pdf

Tags
ac, climate control, cold, e46, heater