E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
ilikpizza

My Ride: 2002 325i
Bmw transmission limp mode

Hey, I have a 2002 bmw 325i, with a ZF 5hp19 transmission, I recently changed out some of the transmission fluid with Valvoline MERCON V, I think I ended up putting around 5 bottles in, doing the technique everyone else uses. It was done right.

Anyway, a week later, I was driving down the highway and my serpentine belt snapped, due to me not tightening the power steering pump bracket in all the way, forcing the belt to come off, so I coasted down the highway (to try to get to a safer place to pull over) When I peeked under my car, I saw that the transmission line was broke off from the connector. And I started the car back up and tried to move it, and it did not move, probably because there was no fluid inside the torque converter.

I filled it up today, repaired the broken hose, and filled the transmission all the way up with transmission fluid. put it in drive and reverse will filling it up as well. While the car is on a flat surface. While we were filling it up, I noticed the transmission icon had a gear icon and the gear I was in... ie Drive, Park, Neutral, Sport Drive. It had no manual selection though. I thought that it would turn off once I had it completely filled.

So I got the car off the jack stands, put it in gear, and tried to take off. Well the gear icon is still on. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes, and it was still on when I plugged it back in. I ended up driving it back home because it was still in my work parking lot, and I am planning on driving it back to work on monday, as there is a BMW tech shop right next to it to get it scanned.

I am just wondering what some peoples opinions or fixes are for this, Just kind of nervous because I really don't want to put another transmission into this car. I will post codes as soon as I get them, I know they are super important to get!

IT IS STILL IN SAFE MODE!!!

THE IMAGE IS NOT MY CAR, BUT WHAT THE TRANSMISSION ICON LOOKS LIKE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00239-20110324-0807.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	651080  

Last edited by ilikpizza; 03-04-2017 at 09:03 PM.
ilikpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikpizza View Post
Hey, I have a 2002 bmw 325i, with a ZF 5hp19 transmission, I recently changed out some of the transmission fluid with Valvoline MERCON V, I think I ended up putting around 5 bottles in, doing the technique everyone else uses. It was done right.

Anyway, a week later, I was driving down the highway and my serpentine belt snapped, due to me not tightening the power steering pump bracket in all the way, forcing the belt to come off, so I coasted down the highway (to try to get to a safer place to pull over) When I peeked under my car, I saw that the transmission line was broke off from the connector. And I started the car back up and tried to move it, and it did not move, probably because there was no fluid inside the torque converter.

I filled it up today, repaired the broken hose, and filled the transmission all the way up with transmission fluid. put it in drive and reverse will filling it up as well. While the car is on a flat surface. While we were filling it up, I noticed the transmission icon had a gear icon and the gear I was in... ie Drive, Park, Neutral, Sport Drive. It had no manual selection though. I thought that it would turn off once I had it completely filled.

So I got the car off the jack stands, put it in gear, and tried to take off. Well the gear icon is still on. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes, and it was still on when I plugged it back in. I ended up driving it back home because it was still in my work parking lot, and I am planning on driving it back to work on monday, as there is a BMW tech shop right next to it to get it scanned.

I am just wondering what some peoples opinions or fixes are for this, Just kind of nervous because I really don't want to put another transmission into this car. I will post codes as soon as I get them, I know they are super important to get!

IT IS STILL IN SAFE MODE!!!

THE IMAGE IS NOT MY CAR, BUT WHAT THE TRANSMISSION ICON LOOKS LIKE.
You really need to post codes. Otherwise we're just wasting each other's time.

Edit : Because it could be something serious, or something as simple as an unplugged MAF or bad battery

Last edited by cvx5832; 03-04-2017 at 09:39 PM.
cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Check to see that the connector for the MAF is connected. Had the cog of death when I forgot to reconnect it, but I have the GM trans.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Get PA Soft Scanner version 1.4.x, read your error codes and then clear your codes.

Put at least 6 quarts into ypur transmission when you change out the fluid.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 03-04-2017 at 10:54 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
ilikpizza

Brand new battery of last year, and maf is plugged in, just trying to get peoples opinions
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
ilikpizza

Would transmission fluid in/on the maf set it off? (cold air intake)
Old 03-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
I had a similar problem after road debris had pietced yhe transmiision cooler.

I cleared the error codes with PA soft ver 1.40.1 and had a petfectly running transmission.

Start with the easy things to do!

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com
Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #8
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Hey, I have a 2002 bmw 325i, with a ZF 5hp19 transmission, I recently changed out some of the transmission fluid with Valvoline MERCON V
On a side note, that Mercon V ATF you put in is not the correct fluid. According to Valvoline's application guide, it should be MaxLife Import Multivehicle ATF.
http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...%206.10.13.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/our-product...smission-fluid
Old 03-05-2017, 01:32 AM   #9
ilikpizza

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166135

I honestly just went off this guide honestly haha
Old 03-05-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Quote:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166135

I honestly just went off this guide honestly haha
That post is 10 years old and that compatibility letter from Valvoline is 12 years old.
http://www.e38.org/Mercon%20V%20ATF%20Letter.pdf
Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #11
ilikpizza

I got a hold of a cheap scanner, got something for gear 4 in the transmission part, cleared it. And now it runs better than when I first got the car. Problem solved, thanks guys!!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 AM   #12
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Clearing the EGS codes took it out of limp mode but hasn't fixed anything. The problem will be back soon. Take the advice we gave you and buy proper scanners for when it does.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-06-2017 at 01:09 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
BMWCaptain

You welcome!

Glad I could help.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com

Tags
325i, 346, bmw, limpmode, transmission