Convertible bowden cable diagram - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
2000e46vert

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Convertible bowden cable diagram

Does anyone know of a diagram for the bowden cable that control the tonneau cover. The one in the passenger side is so loose it leads me to believe it is unhooked at the larch or broken. I'm sure to get a look at the larch properly I'll need to remove the rear interior panel. The cables are readily available, but I can't seem to find any vids or diagrams showing how to route it, or in this case showing me what I need to disassemble.
2000e46vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Not sure a diagram would help much; there's only one cable (per side) and even if it's broken you can use the old one to figure out the route. Did you remove the seat and gear cover? You can operate the whole sequence by hand and figure out whether you need to tighten the end of the cable or simply reseat it.

BTW the driver side latch is controlled on the passenger side and vice versa.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
2000e46vert

Yes, the rear bottom cushion was out. One of the two cables has so much slack that adjusting the screws did nothing. The one that has too much slack at the motor is on the passenger side, which is also the side that I hear the latch trying to close.

I know I can follow the cables that are there, but I was hoping some had done it before or that there was a diagram so I could know ahead of time exactly what I need to take apart.

Realoem.com shows only one cable and latch, but if they are identical for both sides that may be for simplicity. They show the cable, but not necessarily it's route.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BR33-USA-01-2000-E46-BMW-323Ci&diagId=41_1348#51258227907
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
The route is under the carpet, behind the armrest panels and into the storage area.

The hydraulics DIY for the main cylinders has photos of the latch and where the cable runs behind the panels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 03-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
2000e46vert

I ordered two bowden cables from ecstuning.com. I assume the two cables are identical in length since realoem.com listed only one part number. Even if the cables aren't broken (although I assume at least one is), for about $21 each, I prefer to have them on hand when I pull things apart to investigate. I also figure I'll replace both since there must have been some reason the one broke, the other can't be too far behind.

On another issue, I also ordered a new antenna base since an automated car wash tore off the mast (that I forgot to remove) and messed it up so the new mast won't screw in. It appears to me I need to remove a bracket that holds one of the lift cylinders in place to access the nut to remove it, am I right?

Tags
bowden cable, convertible, lid