E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars - Private

Complete Cars - Private
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
coyoteoty

My Ride: 2000 323i
Feeler: Black/black 2003 330ci 5-Speed Coupe

Update: Added crappy cell phone pictures. If I sell, it won't be for about 2 months so I'll get the summer wheels put on and have the car detailed before the "real" posting. Also found a chip in the windshield, so I'll be repairing that.

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to post a quick feeler on here to see if I'm wasting my time. I just want to gauge interest/value in my car before I decide on a 340i/330e. I live in Columbus, OH.

As the title states, the car in question is 2003 330ci Coupe Sport 5-Speed Manual, ~119,000 miles. It is Black Sapphire Metallic on Black Leatherette. Options are as follows:
  • Sport Package
  • Moonroof
  • Power Front Seats
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Xenon Headlights
  • Harman Kardon

Overall, the car is in good shape mechanically. In the past year I've done:
  • Water pump/T-Stat
  • Coolant expansion tank
  • Starter motor
  • Brake rotors/pads front and rear
  • 4 tires (MPSS, 7k miles ago)
  • Rear shocks (almost 2 years ago)

Here are the mechanical "needs" to my current knowledge:
  • Front control arm bushings. My techs tell me it needs them, I don't really feel it TBH.
  • 5th gear shift pin detent/sleeve failure. Aka 5th gear lean. Basically, the shifter doesn't spring back to center half of the time when taking it out of 5th. Reverse is fine. The parts are cheap, but the labor is a PITA as you have to drop the transmission, so I've learned to live with it. Really not so bad once you're used to it, but it makes me extra cautious of letting others drive the car.
  • Oil pan gasket. Maybe burns a quart every 1000 miles. Not bad yet. (The main oil culprits, valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets, were done at 90k and 78k miles respectively, and they look good at the moment).

And, now to cosmetics. This is the main "problem" area. It's not a terrible car, but it has spent 119000 miles in Central Ohio, and pretty much looks like it. I always had this idea that I would eventually try my hand at SE46 with this car, which is the main reason I never addressed any of these items. 95% of these were present when I bought the car. Again, never prioritized fixing any cosmetics. So, here's the list:

Exterior:
  • Dents are scattered around the car. A few on the hood, a few on the passenger side, and a few on the driver's A-Pillar are the standouts.
  • Crease along the length of the passenger door just underneath the side moulding.
  • Some scratches, could use a good buff/polishing. Maybe one or two spots that wouldn't rub out.
  • Touched up scuffs on front bumper and rear bumper.
  • All 4 wheels need refinishing from curb rash.
  • Rust spot about the size of a Quarter on right rear quarter where it meets the bumper. It was painted over before I bought the car, and it has held up well. Won't "pop" when I press it with my finger.
  • Weather stripping is pretty rough.

Interior:
  • 2 tears on driver's seat, on base and side bolster.
  • All four A/C pillars are sagging. A pillars can be repaired, C might as well be replaced since they don't have airbags. I have already purchased the C pillars, never got around to installing them.
  • One scratch in passenger side dash trim.
  • Crack in driver's center air vent.
  • Front speakers sound horrible. I actually bought replacement front door mid base speakers thinking they were blown, but that did nothing. I have just kept my audio pushed through the rear.
  • Moonroof shade rail(?) is bent, and there's a little piece sticking out. It will slide back 90% of the way. I've never been one to open the moonroof in any of my cars, so I ended up pulling the fuse for the moonroof so I didn't accidently force the cover back and damage the headliner while remotely opening the windows. To reiterate, the glass/motor/rails are fine. It's just that cloth cover that you open by hand.

So that's all I can think of. This listing makes it sound like a POS, but the car really is solid, and still a blast to drive. I just wanted to comprehensively list all the issues/quirks. It's perfectly liveable as is, my current daily, and it's a car that could still make the right buyer very happy.

Again, not really sure I want sell this and go 340i vs keep it and daily a 330e, so I figured I'd throw this feeler out to see if anyone was interested, and if the numbers may sway my opinion. I'll add pics as soon as the weather here warms up and I can get it cleaned up a bit (hopefully tomorrow, our car wash has been closed almst all of this week due to cold). If I get to the official "For Sale" point, I'll provide high-res pictures of the wheels, tires, underbody, visible rear subframe, engine bay, paint, and every listed flaw.

So, what's this thing worth (assuming my description is accurate)?

P.S. I do have a set of 17" OEM winter wheels/tires I'd throw in. The tread is still decent, but they sat in storage from 2007-2016 so I'd highly recommend replacing the tires. That said, I just survived this last (mild) winter in those very tires. Also have a set of 16" OEM steelies with good tread. So if you have another E46 (non-330), I'll toss those in as well.

Pictures: Couldn't get the dents to really come through in photos, aside from the driver's A pillar. There's a few on the hood (above the intake area) and a few below the passenger side rear window (behind the door). Sorry for the quality, but again, I would be posting better photos with the car detailed/summers for the official "For Sale" post.

Here's the link to the full Google Photos album: https://goo.gl/photos/3LxMXVtZegodid7K6 _sl__nr_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	651875   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	651876   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	651877   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	651878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	23passengerdoorcrease.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	651879   Click image for larger version

Name:	24passengerdoorcrease.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	651880  

Last edited by coyoteoty; 03-17-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add pictures
coyoteoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
RichG

My Ride: BMW
Can you post photos? From your description it sounds like around $5,000 to $6,000. Need pics of the crease to determine estimate. Good luck and if you get the 330e stop back with pics.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
coyoteoty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post
Can you post photos? From your description it sounds like around $5,000 to $6,000. Need pics of the crease to determine estimate. Good luck and if you get the 330e stop back with pics.
For sure! Hopefully I can get it washed and get some pictures taken tomorrow. The dirt/salt is currently masking all of the paint imperfections.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
coyoteoty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post
Got some photos up!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
freerides

My Ride: anything I can
My (biased) opinion is that $5-6k would be overpriced. The mileage is a strong positive. But you've listed a lot of fixable but non-trivial issues that adds up to thousands of dollars of labor and parts. Your openness of the problems is certainly a positive. All depends on how fast you want to sell. IMO, if you list at $5k, be prepared to negotiate and be waiting for the perfect buyer. But as usual, it's worth what someone will pay for it.
freerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
coyoteoty

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerides View Post
My (biased) opinion is that $5-6k would be overpriced. The mileage is a strong positive. But you've listed a lot of fixable but non-trivial issues that adds up to thousands of dollars of labor and parts. Your openness of the problems is certainly a positive. All depends on how fast you want to sell. IMO, if you list at $5k, be prepared to negotiate and be waiting for the perfect buyer. But as usual, it's worth what someone will pay for it.
Yeah, I'd be ecstatic to get $5 for it as it sits. Fortunately, selling it quickly wouldn't be a necessity.

If it were you (or anyone who sees this), is there anything on that list that you'd address yourself before listing? I figure the the exterior kind of is what it is on a 14 y/o black car, but I'm considering fixing/replacing the interior pillars, and fixing the seat and shifter issue and maybe asking $6k OBO. Thoughts on that idea?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
GTBrandon

My Ride: 335xi GT
Message me if you are serious about selling!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
GTBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, 5speed, coupe, feeler, manual