E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #41
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
oem ipod kit ftw?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #42
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
You relieze I-bus and K-bus a pretty much the same thing depending on what car you are talking about???

BTW the E46 does NOT have an I-bus only a K-bus and yes the Dice goes into the K-bus.

I had a Dice last week we tried to install kill the K-bus on an E46 turns out the harness they supplied was defective. I repinned their harness and it was fixed.
werd. Thanks Seth. I did my homework before I went out and trashed on the Dice kit. I'm guessing he assumed I had the trunk interface but either way, its still messed up. The radio interface of the Dice uses the radio harness, therefore it uses the K-Bus. Someway somehow, the Dice module/harness is causing the K-Bus to not get 12v so it freaked out.

I kinda just laughed off Tom's comment.... sorry but it's true. He was very quick to slander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
oem ipod kit ftw?
Yes Drew... If the new kit they are sending me doesnt work, I will be dumping the Dice/preaching about it's demise.

Last edited by neil1138; 09-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #43
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
Not all of us here are missing the boat I too use the Dension Gateway 300, and it is fantastic. Far superior and much more stable than the DICE units. No silly DIP switches to mess with. Rock solid. Fantastic feature set. Costs a bit more than the DICE, but worth every darn cent. It just works.

It's actually really unfortunate that Dension left the US market. People here in the US are so missing out on the best iPod connection kit for the E46 + Business CD radio.

P.S. I couldn't imagine what I would do without the ABC-Search feature!
Does text id scroll on the display?

Also, how do you change modes from ipod to aux/3.5mm to USB and back?

Thanks.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #44
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
werd. Thanks Seth. I did my homework before I went out and trashed on the Dice kit. I'm guessing he assumed I had the trunk interface but either way, its still messed up. The radio interface of the Dice uses the radio harness, therefore it uses the K-Bus. Someway somehow, the Dice module/harness is causing the K-Bus to not get 12v so it freaked out.
Neil, when you had the trunk kit with the Dice, did you ever try swapping pins 2&3 on the k-bus wires in the trunk? The Dice has the ground on the wrong pin.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #45
neil1138

I've never had the trunk interface yet, the Dice person said they would send me both interface harnesses but I have the radio interface as of now.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #46
chicane
Banned

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I've never had the trunk interface yet, the Dice person said they would send me both interface harnesses but I have the radio interface as of now.
I didn't have any better luck with the trunk interface.
chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #47
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane View Post
I didn't have any better luck with the trunk interface.
Yeah I'm hoping that isnt the case with me, but if it is... well i'll be pissed
Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #48
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Can the problem be not with the DICE unit, but with the headunit connector, like some pins breaking contact occasionaly? No way to be sure about it, but since you have already tried two units with same result...

I agree the DICE is far from perfect (does not bookmark playlists, does not remember the shuffle setting, etc.), but it has been working fine for me. I used the trunk interface (read the manufacturer's warning the unit should be made easily accessible) and have experienced two problems:
- the text stops scrolling until the unit is reset. However, I rather like that it is not moving and keep it this way. :-) I guess this is because I have an early CD43 headunit.
- occasionally the DICE unit will switch the ipod to "repeat one" mode. However, this causes the first song to be repeated endlessly, not just once. Very annoying sicne the only way to turn the repeat mode OFF is to disconnect the ipod and do that manually. Others reported the same problem here and we got the advise to disconnect the player whenever the car is parked. Would have been an easy solution, but I'm using the ipod only for playing music in the car (and only when I'm not listening to radio), so for now I just keep turning the repeat setting OFF whenever necessary.
In other words, only minor problems, restricted to mp3 playing. No messing with car's other systems at all.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 09-05-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #49
champ222

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Does text id scroll on the display?

Also, how do you change modes from ipod to aux/3.5mm to USB and back?

Thanks.
On the Dension, you tap cd 6, then it will display >Source or something, then you press > either on the stereo or the wheel to select IPOD, USB or Aux, then you hold > to make the selection.
champ222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #50
champ222

My Ride: 330CI
Glad your enjoying it too

Quote:
Not all of us here are missing the boat I too use the Dension Gateway 300, and it is fantastic. Far superior and much more stable than the DICE units. No silly DIP switches to mess with. Rock solid. Fantastic feature set. Costs a bit more than the DICE, but worth every darn cent. It just works.

It's actually really unfortunate that Dension left the US market. People here in the US are so missing out on the best iPod connection kit for the E46 + Business CD radio.

P.S. I couldn't imagine what I would do without the ABC-Search feature!
champ222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #51
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ222 View Post
On the Dension, you tap cd 6, then it will display >Source or something, then you press > either on the stereo or the wheel to select IPOD, USB or Aux, then you hold > to make the selection.
The DICE uses the exact same feature. I have a pre-Silverline unit though and have no clue how the Silverline works.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #52
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
The way to do it on the Dension Gateway is simpler and much more intuitive than on the DICE units. Also, the DICE unit's don't have USB But the underlying point is that if the OP is 'done' with the DICE and is looking for a great/better alternative, he should definitely check out the Dension Gateway 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
The DICE uses the exact same feature. I have a pre-Silverline unit though and have no clue how the Silverline works.
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #53
Owtlaw333

Quote:
The way to do it on the Dension Gateway is simpler and much more intuitive than on the DICE units. Also, the DICE unit's don't have USB But the underlying point is that if the OP is 'done' with the DICE and is looking for a great/better alternative, he should definitely check out the Dension Gateway 300.
I just told you it's the exact same way, how is it simpler?

But yes, point taken.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #54
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
It's been a while, but I thought with the DICE it was something like you hit Disc 5, then track 1 or 2 switched between inputs. But I don't remember there being any nice labeling or anything to make it clear which input you had selected. But I could be remembering incorrectly.

With the Dension Gateway, there is no guessing what you need to do: you hit Disc 6, which takes you into the menu. The first menu option is called "Sources", and that shows in the display. Selecting that, you can then scroll through a list of all the inputs, and it will show their names as you scroll through. So it is very clear and obvious which input your are selecting. That's why I said it was more intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
I just told you it's the exact same way, how is it simpler?

But yes, point taken.
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #55
Owtlaw333

Quote:
It's been a while, but I thought with the DICE it was something like you hit Disc 5, then track 1 or 2 switched between inputs. But I don't remember there being any nice labeling or anything to make it clear which input you had selected. But I could be remembering incorrectly.

With the Dension Gateway, there is no guessing what you need to do: you hit Disc 6, which takes you into the menu. The first menu option is called "Sources", and that shows in the display. Selecting that, you can then scroll through a list of all the inputs, and it will show their names as you scroll through. So it is very clear and obvious which input your are selecting. That's why I said it was more intuitive.
Yeah, you hit 5 and switch and it says on the screen "Aux" or "IPod" depending which is selected. So they are essentially identical in that aspect.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #56
neil1138

Quote:

I will def look into it if the new DICE module I'm getting continues to fail
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #57
r6vr6

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
I have had issues with DICE as well. The radio connected unit in my wife's x3 won't wake up unless you start the car turn it off and then start it again. I tried everything multiple units blah blah blah. I ended up keeping the last unit and use it on long drives only.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #58
neil1138

Just received the new DICE unit and harnesses in the mail today, will install soon and post back with results. Just want to say thanks to DICE for the quick shipping, I'm impressed
Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #59
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
Tom @ eas slandering, no way I dont believe it. That has never happened before......wait oh yes it has. I would avoid DICE like the plague and rather spend my money on cds.........
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #60
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
having CD's and CD books in the car sucks, as well as the DICE, apparently. If he has an older headunit model, which cant adapt to the regular AUX imput, what would be the best way to go??

And goodluck with the new unit, hopefully it works
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cluster, dice, dme, error