E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #61
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollotrance1 View Post
having CD's and CD books in the car sucks, as well as the DICE, apparently. If he has an older headunit model, which cant adapt to the regular AUX imput, what would be the best way to go??

And goodluck with the new unit, hopefully it works
And sound quality sucks on ipods as well in a vehicle........convience vs sound quality......but either way definitely avoid the DICE!
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #62
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastE36prsntE46 View Post
Tom @ eas slandering, no way I dont believe it. That has never happened before......wait oh yes it has. I would avoid DICE like the plague and rather spend my money on cds.........
Aww dont hate on Tom, he did everything he could and I'm grateful for that. He responded a little hastily to my post but I'll forgive him in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollotrance1 View Post
having CD's and CD books in the car sucks, as well as the DICE, apparently. If he has an older headunit model, which cant adapt to the regular AUX imput, what would be the best way to go??

And goodluck with the new unit, hopefully it works
My car is a 2000 and I have a 2003 headunit. I'm sure the HU is a newer model, I was told that post 2002 are the "newer models". At any rate, we will see about the DICE. I'm miles away from home as of now so I'll get to installing the new unit when I get home this weekend. Will post back with results

Last edited by neil1138; 09-10-2009 at 02:33 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #63
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Intravee II > all
thanks - i didn't know there was something else besides the bmw one and this

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #64
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
thanks - i didn't know there was something else besides the bmw one and this
of course... check out the article I wrote in Boston Bimmer magazine on the Intravee.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #65
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastE36prsntE46 View Post
And sound quality sucks on ipods as well in a vehicle........convience vs sound quality......but either way definitely avoid the DICE!
Like I mentioned, I have some issues with DICE Silverline, but sound quality isn't one of them.
"definitely avoid the DICE!" surely is an overstatement. It is a decently working unit and generally does what it is supposed to.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #66
Megalocnus

Neil, is your 2003 headunit (surely a newer model) able to show the time? When did you do the swap - before of after installing the DICE? If after, have you had these K-bus issues with the old one?
Good luck with the new DICE&cables.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #67
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Neil, is your 2003 headunit (surely a newer model) able to show the time? When did you do the swap - before of after installing the DICE? If after, have you had these K-bus issues with the old one?
Good luck with the new DICE&cables.
I'm not really sure why the time thing is important but yeah, I'm pretty sure it displays the time. There is a clock symbol near the sound adjustment button and everything. Never really paid attention to it, I'm pretty sure it does though.

Anyway, manual swap was done wayy before the Dice unit. Swap has nothing to do with anything because it was done as properly as humanly possible using a GT1/SSS. The tech and I did it par with bmw guidelines. But yeah, hopefully the new parts will fix the problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #68
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I'm not really sure why the time thing is important but yeah, I'm pretty sure it displays the time. There is a clock symbol near the sound adjustment button and everything. Never really paid attention to it, I'm pretty sure it does though.

Anyway, manual swap was done wayy before the Dice unit. Swap has nothing to do with anything because it was done as properly as humanly possible using a GT1/SSS. The tech and I did it par with bmw guidelines. But yeah, hopefully the new parts will fix the problem.
He's asking about the clock because most of the time the text from the DICE overrides the clock on the display. Also, he's asking about when did you do the 2003 headunit swap, not your transmission swap.

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #69
Megalocnus

Oh, I meant the swap of older and newer headunits, not auto and manual transmissions.
The reason I was thinking about the clock is the old headunit communicated less data via the K-bus (i.e. the time).
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #70
neil1138

Oh haha, he just said swap so I assumed tranny cuz I said it in the first post. Haha my bad
Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #71
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
I agree the DICE is far from perfect (does not bookmark playlists, does not remember the shuffle setting, etc.), but it has been working fine for me. I used the trunk interface (read the manufacturer's warning the unit should be made easily accessible) and have experienced two problems:
- the text stops scrolling until the unit is reset. However, I rather like that it is not moving and keep it this way. :-) I guess this is because I have an early CD43 headunit.
- occasionally the DICE unit will switch the ipod to "repeat one" mode. However, this causes the first song to be repeated endlessly, not just once. Very annoying sicne the only way to turn the repeat mode OFF is to disconnect the ipod and do that manually. Others reported the same problem here and we got the advise to disconnect the player whenever the car is parked. Would have been an easy solution, but I'm using the ipod only for playing music in the car (and only when I'm not listening to radio), so for now I just keep turning the repeat setting OFF whenever necessary.
In other words, only minor problems, restricted to mp3 playing. No messing with car's other systems at all.
After reading a problem list like this & then seeing them described as "ONLY MINOR PROBLEMS" ... wow, we could sell you just about anything.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #72
TWALK

My Ride: 2004 X5 / 2006 330i
FWIW, I've had a DICE silverline kit in my E53 X5 with business cd for almost 2 years and I've been 100% satisfied with the functionality of the unit, although some iPhone software updates have screwed me from time to time....

Of course the happy customers aren't going to waste much time posting "Just wanted to open a thread to let everyone know my sh*t works" because we're all out and about enjoying our musically-inclined vehicles.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #73
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWALK View Post
FWIW, I've had a DICE silverline kit in my E53 X5 with business cd for almost 2 years and I've been 100% satisfied with the functionality of the unit, although some iPhone software updates have screwed me from time to time....

Of course the happy customers aren't going to waste much time posting "Just wanted to open a thread to let everyone know my sh*t works" because we're all out and about enjoying our musically-inclined vehicles.

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #74
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWALK View Post

Nope - disagree.

This many similiar issues with a single product clearly shows that the Dice is either poorly designed or the quality of manufacturing is not sufficient ... or both.

Additudes like this is what put companies like GM in hot water in the first place. Not all of the people who bought Chevy Malibu's had problems, therefore it can't be a bad design and the quality of manufacturing can't be insufficient, right?

Yeah, well, that's why were driving bmw's, isn't it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #75
TWALK

I was simply sharing my experience and opinion. Now, if the DICE kit is the chevy of audio integration solutions, what product is the BMW?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #76
steve.325i

According to sna77 it the Intravee II.

I am really happy (5 months now) with my USA-Spec PA12-BMW & my business cd HU.

I know teh PA12 is not as popular & doesn't have the complete list of features that the Dice boasts, but I have been unable to find a negative review on it's performance. It's a solid product & imo it's designed/consructed better that the Dice.

That said, I'm happy that your Dice is working for you ... I wish one of the two that I tried would have.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #77
TWALK

I had a few instances where I had to unplug the unit because it didn't detect my iPhone, and recently (on OS 3.0, I had to fiddle with the dip switches to get steering wheel controls AND dash text to display, but it's all working for my iPhone 3GS. It is strange that some of you have had several devices with problems. I guess I'm just fortunate. Good luck with the alternatives. Too bad there's no good affordable options for my 2006 330iw/ iDrive. I'm looking at $800-$900 to integrate my iPhone into that thing via Bluetooth ! :-(
Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #78
steve.325i

I know what you mean. I'm looking @ $700+ to add bluetooth to my car. I think I'm going to cheap out & go with the new Blackberry RF visor mount instead.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #79
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
I know what you mean. I'm looking @ $700+ to add bluetooth to my car. I think I'm going to cheap out & go with the new Blackberry RF visor mount instead.
can be done for under $400
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=638700
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #80
TWALK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
That thread was referencing 01-04 E46s, but ididnt see mention of E90s w/ iDrive-Nav

Tags
cluster, dice, dme, error