E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #81
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Update:

My 8 year old BMW OEM battery died Friday night. Ive been meaning to get a new one as I knew I was on borrowed time at 8 years (7 yrs/11 months to be exact). When I turned the ignition, the xenons did all sorts of weird things like blinking and moving up and down. Dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I heard the pump but the car wouldnt turn over in the least. A jump started it right up though, but it wouldnt hold the charge. I went to dinner with some frinds and needed a boost an hour later. The eye was still green though. I think others have said that theirs were green too, when it died.

Anyway, read plenty about the battery choices and was gonna do this before it died, but never got around to it. I ended up just picking a new one up from the dealer. It was an Exide stamped SEPT 2010, so thats good enough for me.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #82
Crossfire05

My Ride: 330ci
After reading this thread I went to Wally World and bought the 94R Max rated at 765 cca. It was $77 and was a perfect fit. Oh yeah and its black!

Crossfire05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #83
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPIN3 View Post
Just a quick update on my end...

After only 5 months of use, my Everstart Maxx 94R battery has dropped down to 14.0v (when the car is running) instead of the normal 14.3v it should be at. My DSC, ABS, and brake lights are coming on intermittently due to it. I thought it was due to a wheel speed sensor at first, but it seems that the 94R has already taken a dive and can't supply the DSC system with the proper voltage...hence the dash lights flickering on and off.

So...in about and hour I'm going to be heading back to the store to swap it out for a new one. We'll see if this new one is still holding a charge 5 months down the road or if the same thing happens again.
Dude , the battery's normal voltage is 12 give or take a few hundred millivolts.

The 14.2+/- 500mv is generated by the alternator , a dip in generator efficency (say by adding things to the charging system or by a worn voltage regulator) will cause a drop.

As long as you have over 13.8 volt's of charging you're fine.

A lower charge could however indicate that the battery has been severely drained or it has internal damage.
But in these cases you wouldn't be able to start your car.

You americans must have some wierd battery holders , i can drop pretty much any battery in my car and hook it up(in fact im running a 64Ah starter battery and a 88Ah Maintnence battery for the accerssories)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #84
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Dude , the battery's normal voltage is 12 give or take a few hundred millivolts.

The 14.2+/- 500mv is generated by the alternator , a dip in generator efficency (say by adding things to the charging system or by a worn voltage regulator) will cause a drop.

As long as you have over 13.8 volt's of charging you're fine.

A lower charge could however indicate that the battery has been severely drained or it has internal damage.
But in these cases you wouldn't be able to start your car.

You americans must have some wierd battery holders , i can drop pretty much any battery in my car and hook it up(in fact im running a 64Ah starter battery and a 88Ah Maintnence battery for the accerssories)
I don't know, seems odd to me that after only 5 months, the battery itself will now only hold a charge of 12.3v (brand new it was at 12.7v)

It took my OEM battery 6 years to get to that point.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #85
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPIN3 View Post
Just a quick update on my end...

After only 5 months of use, my Everstart Maxx 94R battery has dropped down to 14.0v (when the car is running) instead of the normal 14.3v it should be at. My DSC, ABS, and brake lights are coming on intermittently due to it. I thought it was due to a wheel speed sensor at first, but it seems that the 94R has already taken a dive and can't supply the DSC system with the proper voltage...hence the dash lights flickering on and off.

So...in about and hour I'm going to be heading back to the store to swap it out for a new one. We'll see if this new one is still holding a charge 5 months down the road or if the same thing happens again.
How do you know the 0.3V difference is the cause?
The nominal voltage of these batteries is 12V. So, 14V is plenty good enough. I doubt this is the cause.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #86
///M sloWbus

My Ride: 2001 330CI
i put one of these batterys in my 2001 330ci and the piece of crap wouldn't even keep my interior lights on! everything was hooked up correctly(i have an aftermarket flipscreen dvd player and hid headlights). anyway my buddy came over and put in his optima yellow top and the car roared to life, it loved that battery..it was like someone put a defibrillator on its chest and gave it a billion jiggawatts lol. the only problem is the optima yellow tops are expensive
///M sloWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #87
carlos916

My Ride: 08 328 / 05 Raven R6
Send a message via AIM to carlos916 Send a message via Yahoo to carlos916
still got my oem since 2004 .. and i push it since i have a 3000 wat sound system ... i kno im crazy!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #88
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
My battery just died after 9 1/2 years. Only symptom was a slow turn over one day and no start the next! So I'll add another choice for a replacement! Sam's sells the same battery as Wall Mart but with an Energizer label. It's an E94R, 912 CA, 730 CCA, 8 year warranty, $85 and is a perfect fit. I asked the salesman, what's up with all these various batteries sold under different labels and they look the same. He said they are all made by Johnson Controls. Did a little surfing and found out that Johnson Controls markets Varta batteries in Europe! Guess who makes BMW OEM batteries! So, there is a reason why Everstart, Energizer, Exide and maybe Auto Zone batteries all look alike! One thing to be careful about. These batteries come with vents in both ends. The hose vent connects on the positive end. Must remove the plug from the vent on the negative end of the OEM battery and re-install in the new battery. Otherwise you'll be venting into the trunk! Have not seen this mentioned anywhere in this forum.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #89
tedfredrick

My Ride: 2001 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M sloWbus View Post
i put one of these batterys in my 2001 330ci and the piece of crap wouldn't even keep my interior lights on! everything was hooked up correctly(i have an aftermarket flipscreen dvd player and hid headlights). anyway my buddy came over and put in his optima yellow top and the car roared to life, it loved that battery..it was like someone put a defibrillator on its chest and gave it a billion jiggawatts lol. the only problem is the optima yellow tops are expensive
The batterys are very simple. The alt voltage should be over 13.5 V and if it isn't you are either overtaxing it or it is Kaput. The battery only stores energy that the alt produces for a later use such as starting, and the occational surge. If your battery is rated adequatley for CCA (cold cranking amps) and amp hours the problem is elsewhere. Check your charging voltage.
tedfredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #90
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
i had to buy a new battery after I had the duralast 49dl for a little over 4 years. I went to autozone, and they gave me a credit for the rest of the warranty, and plus, they gave me the price for the battery that I paid 4 years ago. Instead of $100 for a new battery, it was $37.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #91
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
I went to get my MIL's battery changed (not a BMW) to Advance Auto Parts, and out of curiosity, asked them if they have batteries for the 330Ci. They had a battery "94RH" with 730 CCA, and all the tubes etc., for $144 installed. (had specific install steps for the Bimmer in their system).
I know there was a lot of discussion on the Auto Zone and WalMart batteries, but has anyone tried the AAP battery? It's made by AutoCraft (Johnson), and the model number 94H suggests to me that it might be closely related to the Walmart 94 series batteries ???

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the AAP site after searching for 330Ci batteries:

Last edited by Washburn; 12-05-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #92
delmarco

My Ride: 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I think 94 is refering to the size not the brand.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #93
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
You're correct - it says right there it's the Group Size
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #94
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
My original battery took a dump at around 8 years old. A buddy of mine had a 99 323i that he believed had a faulty battery (obviously original battery) and replaced it, later to find out that it was actually his alternator. He gave me this battery, 9 years old at the time, minus around 3-4 months of the battery being out of the car, and now its pushing 12 years still cranking strong, I'm on the original alt. too.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #95
Master Po

The Walmart battery, at a reported $77 is still the one to beat.

People, a battery is a battery. This is pretty low tech.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #96
rlanzone1

My Ride: 2004 330i SMG
Interstate H7 is exact fit and CCA for under $ 100 with 85 month warranty. Why bother with Walmart or Duralast
rlanzone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #97
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
the one at Walmart works great. 3 year warranty.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #98
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanzone1 View Post
Interstate H7 is exact fit and CCA for under $ 100 with 85 month warranty. Why bother with Walmart or Duralast
Because it costs less?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #99
leeroy74

My Ride: 2002 3251
Thumbs Up

I got the walmart battery nine months ago works great! My car died at 10pm and had to take the wife's car and pick on up there since there open 24/7. No problems... a battery is a battery!
leeroy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #100
twboy1999

My Ride: 03 CB/KIWI
where can you get the venting tube if it the battery doesn't come with it?
twboy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
49-dl, advanced, agm, auto, autozone, battery, duralast, h7, h8, official, pepboys, thread, walmart