E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #41
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
Hello Mike, welcome to the forum! taylor192 is correct, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.ellingson View Post
I had a hydraulic cylinder start to leak and I lost most of the hydraulic fluid. I pulled the cylinder out and had it rebuilt by Top Hydraulics(saved a ton over buying a new one). I refilled the fluid reservoir replaced the cylinder and reconnected everything. I tried to raise the top and it only when part way. I was expecting this, due to air in the lines. After a little back and forth, I manually assisted the operation and the top went completely up. However, after several attempts, I still have the issue with the top starting to work and then stopping. I know that there is hydraulic fluid in the pump. How many times will I have to attempt to lower the top before the air is bled out?
If there is enough fluid in the reservoir, then almost all air should be out of the cylinders after two or three of full cycles. Even if there still is some air in the system, the pump should be able to finish the cycle on its own, as long as there is enough fluid available.

Your pump's reservoir was probably almost empty by the time you noticed the leak from your right tonneau cover (storage lid) cylinder p/n 54348236956. That means the other cylinders had some air in them, just because the pump was sucking air before. If there was a lot of air in all cylinders, then the fluid level may have dropped low enough in your reservoir that the pump was sucking air again. The fluid level is the lowest when the top is up. The fluid level is the highest when the top is down and the tonneau cover is closed. It is not good to overfill the reservoir, that's why the fluid level is supposed to be checked with the top down.

If you currently have enough fluid in the reservoir, then the issue may be a failing pump or problems in the wiring, but let's not go there yet. Please clarify whether the fluid level in the reservoir is currently adequate, and exactly where in the opening or closing cycle you have to give top some manual assistance.

Klaus

543454347025595 (hydro-unit, sticker p/n is 8234530)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #42
Mike.ellingson

My Ride: 2000 323 CI
I filled the reservoir before I put the system back together. Unfortunately, I replaced all of the trunk lining parts before I tested the top operation. The first time I tried it, the top was down and it raised over half way before I needed to assist it. The second time from the up position it also went about half way and then I assisted it down. The third time I put it back up but it did not get as far on it's own. Now, it starts to lift from the up position, but stops quickly. Is there a re sequencing that needs to be done after a cylinder has been replaced and the top has been manually lowered? Either in the electronics or the hydraulic system?
Mike.ellingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #43
masCh

My Ride: E46 Convertible
Wait, so I have to put the top down before filling in hydraulic fluid?

I accidentally filled the fluid in the canister before attaching it to the solenoid hydraulics, did I break something?
masCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #44
Randall2314

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Top almost done but not quite

Hi all,

So we just got this E46 a few months ago and was told that the top wouldn't go down because it needs fluid. So I went to BMW got the required fluid and its full. So we tried the top and the top came up a little bit then the rear starting going up to and then it stopped. Now over a few minutes its let us close the top all the way until where its almost closed but the latches aren't catching the roof and the top light blinking red. What do we do? Can't really drive with the top with the gap and can we manually crank it? Thanks for the help. I read all the topics but not sure where to start. We did notice the fluid now looks brown (I saw someone else post this). Do we need to change the fluid and try that first? I dont think I saw where or how to change the fluid (and where do you put it in, drain and and add into the canister)?? Thanks in advance!
Randall2314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #45
du80is

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Make sure your battery is fully charged and not too old.
I had a failing battery that even with the engine running it would display similar symptoms

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
du80is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #46
Autoarcheologist

My Ride: 2005 330i convertibl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall2314 View Post
Hi all,

So we just got this E46 a few months ago and was told that the top wouldn't go down because it needs fluid. So I went to BMW got the required fluid and its full. So we tried the top and the top came up a little bit then the rear starting going up to and then it stopped. Now over a few minutes its let us close the top all the way until where its almost closed but the latches aren't catching the roof and the top light blinking red. What do we do? Can't really drive with the top with the gap and can we manually crank it? Thanks for the help. I read all the topics but not sure where to start. We did notice the fluid now looks brown (I saw someone else post this). Do we need to change the fluid and try that first? I dont think I saw where or how to change the fluid (and where do you put it in, drain and and add into the canister)?? Thanks in advance!
Yes you can manually crank it closed.

Does the storage lid open up when you lower the top? That's where ours gets stuck and I'm trying to diagnose it. I'm thinking a switch isn't telling the top cylinders to start working.
Autoarcheologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertable, convertible, convertible top