E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Angry SULEV fuel pump went out

I was hoping this day would never come, but my fuel pump on the SULEV went out the other day. It's getting towed to the stealership tomorrow. I've searched the forum and found a few documents regarding the 150,000 mile warranty on SULEV related parts. I'm at 126,000 right now so I'm covered.

My local dealer is a bunch of pretentious snobs and I know they won't be excited about doing this $7K+ fix, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any tips on how to best convey this to the stealership and make the process as streamline as possible.

Any additional links & documents would be greatly appreciated as well!!!

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90
Bmw of Murray?? It isn't THAT bad. lol. And if you have any trouble I went to elementary with the owner's son. So we can cut straight through any attitude and have people fired. (jk) (but seriously). Let me know if you need any help I live right by gateway.

I also used to have the SULEV and sold it for that reason, but yes as you said it is covered. I would print all relevant documents (there is a pdf that outlines all the special emissions components on the sulev) and make copies to give to your SA. In the background, contact BMWNA immediately and explain what you are doing. The dealership should in NO way be mad about this as BMWNA is the one who fronts the bill. If you need a ride in the meantime etc. let me know. I also believe a loaner can be arranged so definitely push for that.

Last edited by golf_234; 10-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Wow, I always wanted to know what would happen once these started to fail. Just keep in mind that it is the law for BMW to replace it if it fits in the emissions warranty. The dealer shouldn't care bc they will get paid as if its a warranty claim. For them to give you a hard time for bring it in to be replaced would be stupid because they are pretty much saying they don't want to be paid (by BMW)for working on your car....
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
If they refuse, call BMW NA.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Bmw of Murray?? It isn't THAT bad. lol. And if you have any trouble I went to elementary with the owner's son. So we can cut straight through any attitude and have people fired. (jk) (but seriously). Let me know if you need any help I live right by gateway.

I also used to have the SULEV and sold it for that reason, but yes as you said it is covered. I would print all relevant documents (there is a pdf that outlines all the special emissions components on the sulev) and make copies to give to your SA. In the background, contact BMWNA immediately and explain what you are doing. The dealership should in NO way be mad about this as BMWNA is the one who fronts the bill. If you need a ride in the meantime etc. let me know. I also believe a loaner can be arranged so definitely push for that.
I've only been there once and was very disappointed with their customer service. They're definitely fixing this, no doubt. A loaner would be great too!

If they give me any trouble, I'll make sure to get in touch with you golf_234!

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
MercForHire

My Ride: M235i 6MT
Why does a fuel pump cost more than the car itself?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Why does a fuel pump cost more than the car itself?
on the sulev the fuel pump+filter are sealed in the gas tank, thus require a full tank replacement.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
MercForHire

My Ride: M235i 6MT
More like a whole car replacement.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
More like a whole car replacement.
Yeah it's pretty cost-inefficient.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
Keep in mind you might not have much luck getting it fixed in Utah. While BMW NA warrants that stuff for 15/150,000 (or so) in California, and in states that abide by California emissions standards... they might not in a state like Utah. Sorta like how Mazda had to warrant timing belts on some engines for over 100k miles in California, but not elsewhere. Same timing belt... just... heh.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
Keep in mind you might not have much luck getting it fixed in Utah. While BMW NA warrants that stuff for 15/150,000 (or so) in California, and in states that abide by California emissions standards... they might not in a state like Utah. Sorta like how Mazda had to warrant timing belts on some engines for over 100k miles in California, but not elsewhere. Same timing belt... just... heh.
Another member on here successfully got it switched even though his car was in another state, he just had to contact BMWNA and got it sorted out that way. Hopefully they won't make this a pain for me...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBee View Post
Another member on here successfully got it switched even though his car was in another state, he just had to contact BMWNA and got it sorted out that way. Hopefully they won't make this a pain for me...
Let me facebook Cameron and ask him who the best SA's are to talk to.. he might be on vacation judging by that i saw a pic with palm trees like a day ago lol but i will try to find out for you.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
I hope that they will fix it for you. My car has 156 k miles and i am out of warranty. If it dies, i'll put the regular one. Messing up with tank wont matter because if regular doesnt work, i'll have to buy a used/new one.

sent from my verizon HTC Thunderbolt using bimmer app.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Let me facebook Cameron and ask him who the best SA's are to talk to.. he might be on vacation judging by that i saw a pic with palm trees like a day ago lol but i will try to find out for you.
Awesome thanks!

Now I'm wondering...will the replaced fuel tank/pump/filter be under warranty for another 150K miles? They should be since they're new.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
steveninchicago

My Ride: 2003 325i
I could be wrong but, Utah is not covered under the warranty. Only SULEV models registered in California, New York and Massachusetts as 2003 models and in Vermont starting in 2004 model year are covered. Do a search, I believe this has been discussed.

Last edited by steveninchicago; 10-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
steveninchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveninchicago View Post
I could be wrong but, Utah is not covered under the warranty. Only SULEV models sold in California, New York and Massachusetts as 2003 models and in Vermont starting in 2004 model year are covered. Do a search, I believe this has been discussed.
Well, this car was sold in California. Fanatics from other states have been successful with this as well.

So I went to the dealership and spoke with SA James Duran. He was really nice and said they would check the car on Friday. James wasn't sure about the SULEV situation so he asked another guy, who said he had a customer with the same issue 4 months ago and they couldn't do anything about it. Now I told him others have had this fix done under warranty in states other than the car was sold in.

No loaner for me either as they're all out apparently. My car will be there for a couple of weeks or so and under warranty, so I feel entitled to a loaner.

I'm about to call BMWNA to explain the situation to them.

@golf_234

do you think you could get them to give me a loaner? I have no transportation

Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
lol, funny I saw this. We just did one up here because a ladys fuel pump went out. The tank is competely sealed so the whole thing has to be replaced. That tank was somewhere in the range of $5,000

Oh and, just so you know, the fuel tanks have been on massive back order. It took us about 2 months to get the one we ordered.

Edit: They are still on backorder but show a germany release date of next week, so actually shouldn't take too long to get one.

Last edited by 330ciandr6; 10-11-2011 at 01:59 PM.
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
lol, funny I saw this. We just did one up here because a ladys fuel pump went out. The tank is competely sealed so the whole thing has to be replaced. That tank was somewhere in the range of $5,000

Oh and, just so you know, the fuel tanks have been on massive back order. It took us about 2 months to get the one we ordered.

Edit: They are still on backorder but show a germany release date of next week, so actually shouldn't take too long to get one.
Seems like a lot of SULEVS are taking a dump huh? What state did the replacement occur in?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Location unknown
Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
Location unknown
OKC

Tags
fuel pump, fuel tank, sulev, warranty