E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #41
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
awesome thanks for the info, subscribed
Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #42
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Update:

The new fuel tank arrived the day after they ordered it and today I drove home in a loaner e90 328ix with 160 miles on the odometer

I gotta say that BMW of Murray really took care of me this time!

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #43
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Glad to hear they took care of you. Almost 10k to replace tank/pump assembly? I know its stainless steel and all but WTF!!
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #44
shata

My Ride: 00 328i , 06 330i
A 2000 328i don't have this setup do they? Or is this only on facelift years?

/// 2000 BMW 328I ///
shata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #45
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
The SULEV rating on the M56 is a FEDERAL emissions specification sold in some states to satisfy aggregate state emissions requirements. BMW NA does not get to pick and choose in which states they will honor their warranty. If you are dealing with BMW's possibly negligent or criminal failure to honor emissions warranties, I suggest you contact your regional EPA office to determine who should receive your complaint.
http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/postal.html#regional

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #46
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurer View Post
Glad to hear they took care of you. Almost 10k to replace tank/pump assembly? I know its stainless steel and all but WTF!!
Yeah the price tag is ridiculous. I think it's interesting how much it varies among the dealerships. I've read about quotes starting at just over $7K and then you have mine at just over $9K.

@shata
Don't worry you don't have one.

@teamdfl
I would've fought this if necessary. I'm glad this didn't turn out to be a pain in the ass though

Car is feeling nice...alignment was included too

Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #47
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
lol I want my fuel pump to die faster so I can go replace it for free
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #48
KingBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple4life View Post
lol I want my fuel pump to die faster so I can go replace it for free
That's not hard to do ...

Old 10-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #49
sgtfury40

My Ride: 2003 325i
OP, wish I would have seen this earlier (been to busy lately to check forum), I might have been able to save you some stress. I got my tank replaced under warranty with no problems in AZ. The warranty covers all of the US. As someone mentioned it is a federal warranty (bad term, but you get the idea) and transferable between owners. This was a bad idea for BMW and it is costing them some big $$$ now as many of the SULEV's are approaching the limits on their fuel pumps. The amount of $$$ they are spending on this warranty is the big reason they do not offer this system any longer.
sgtfury40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #50
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Congrats on everything working out. I've wondered why there isn't a retrofit procedure for putting in a regular fuel system when these fail. I guess it's irrelevant considering the warranty.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 AM   #51
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
A 2000 328i don't have this setup do they? Or is this only on facelift years?
nope it is only 2003-2005 325i with the automatic transmissions. But they only came out in certain states. ie. not all 03-05 325s are sulev, but that is the possible domain.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #52
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
Glad to see this info. I have a long way to go for millage and years, but at least I know it can be enforced.

A while ago my car had an issue with the secondary air pump and gave a code. I thought I would have to replace it and called a local BMW dealer to ask about the SULEV and sure enough they told me to get lost. Luckily for me nothing was wrong and I didn't have to pursue it any further, but at least now I know when the time comes what to do.

Great thread.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #53
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonerDee View Post
Glad to see this info. I have a long way to go for millage and years, but at least I know it can be enforced.

A while ago my car had an issue with the secondary air pump and gave a code. I thought I would have to replace it and called a local BMW dealer to ask about the SULEV and sure enough they told me to get lost. Luckily for me nothing was wrong and I didn't have to pursue it any further, but at least now I know when the time comes what to do.

Great thread.
at one rate i guess you can't blame them for not knowing, but this does annoy me for sure. sometimes people are so stupid. if it comes up again just go into beast mode like OP
Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #54
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonerDee View Post

Great thread.
I just recently got my secondary air pump replaced for free at the dealer...the code actually appeared a year ago and I had been just putting it off until I had to get a smog check done..
I dropped it off at the dealer and had all the paperwork regarding the warranty prepared but after a few calls confirming with the service advisor, it was fixed under warranty (they kept on thinking I had an extended warranty) got a free loaner too although I did have to drop my car off twice since they needed to special order the part.
now i'm just waiting for my fuel pump to crap out before the warranty ends....
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #55
YZF600R

My Ride: 2004 325i M56 SULEV
Hey KingBee, I cannot fully express my gratitude to you and all forum members for sharing this info - I have an '04 325i M56 with 100K miles that had the same issue - both BMW NA and Dealer said numerous times that I was out of luck and had to spend 10 grand to fix the issue - if it wasn't for this thread, I would have been completely screwed.
After reading your story, I located my original warranty information, and I was able to get things resolved and the car is at the dealer, waiting for a part on backorder from Germany (even got the free loaner).
Thank you soooo much!!!
YZF600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #56
KingBee

Glad to hear it worked out for you as well. It seems that most people at BMWNA are [or pretend to be] uninformed about this. I was very straight-forward with them and quoted numerous documents word for word...persistence paid off!

I'm really paranoid about letting my gas tank go low and have the new pump break, so I'm never letting it get below a quarter now

Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #57
briangl92

My Ride: VQ37VHR
For future M56 issues and information:

You're covered. Only problem is that people who live in states were the M56s were originally sold have been told that they'd have to take it back to the state where the car was originally purchased and take up the issue with a dealer there. Glad you got it taken care of though! I'm glad my M56 calls California home
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M56sulev.pdf (177.2 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by briangl92; 04-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #58
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
Is there a time limit on that 150k?

I was told by my local mechanic that it's only about $1000 to replace the filter/pump on the M56 cars and that you don't have to do the whole tank?
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #59
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
So BMW is fixing SAPs for free too now?
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #60
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325XI, e36 M3
what in gods name makes the job cost 9k?
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump, fuel tank, sulev, warranty