SULEV fuel pump went out - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #81
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Speak not of which you do not know. We live in California...we have the strictest emissions standards anywhere. They inspect everything, including the underside of the car to make sure you still have cats.
Where I inspect they open the hood to check to see if all the oem emissions parts are there and still connected together. If yes, you pass!
I'm staying where I am!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #82
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
Quote:
It would most likely be a difficult swap. You'd run into computer problems. The M56 apparently has a dedicated ECU for the fuel system, almost like a standalone system.

That being said, I've fiddled with mine and still passed smog. I had a K&N panel and I removed the HC filter in the top of the air box, but the purpose of that filter is to prevent HC back flow.
I don't quite follow your post. What all have you fiddled with, just those two things?

I was thinking a "complete system" swap, what ever that means. If you're going to spend $8k on a car, you may as well get a newish engine and all the stuff that goes with it.

Last edited by crazzy88ss; 04-17-2012 at 11:35 AM.
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #83
briangl92

My Ride: VQ37VHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzy88ss View Post
I don't quite follow your post. What all have you fiddled with, just those two things?

I was thinking a "complete system" swap, what ever that means. If you're going to spend $8k on a car, you may as well get a newish engine and all the stuff that goes with it.
Those two filters and I'm running an ECU tune.

Why wouldn't you just buy a newer car with a M54 instead of going through all that trouble?

I mean everything has to be swapped...the entire fuel system from the filler ALL the way to the injectors (as far as I know, the M56 runs a higher pressure fuel pump which isn't compatible), intake, SAP, even the cats and headers are different and it's debated whether or not they're compatible. The only thing you could reuse are the peripherals (e.g. power steering, alternator, etc.). You'd even need a new MAFS and the entire engine wiring harness. Then you have the problem with the computers to sort out. It would be the biggest headache...I think a S54 swap would be easier

To answer your original question, it should be legal to do the swap, though I'm not 100% sure. The M54B25 was a contemporary of the M56B25 on dealer lots. Manual trans cars didn't get the M56 for whatever reason, so going on that, I'd say it'd be fine legally. Just a nightmare.

Last edited by briangl92; 04-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #84
txmbr

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Actually the intake is the 330 intake system from the air cleaner to the head. Used to compensate for the horespower decrease caused by the extra cats. The muffler is 330 item also. These cars and there was only 10,000 brought into the states from 03 to 05 are now starting to show the miles and wear. And BMW can't invent a work around for exmple on the stainless steel fuel tank because of the substantial federal sulev grant they recieved. The 5 wire wideband O2 sensors are different also. Which means cost more.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #85
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmbr View Post
Actually the intake is the 330 intake system from the air cleaner to the head. Used to compensate for the horespower decrease caused by the extra cats. The muffler is 330 item also. These cars and there was only 10,000 brought into the states from 03 to 05 are now starting to show the miles and wear. And BMW can't invent a work around for exmple on the stainless steel fuel tank because of the substantial federal sulev grant they recieved. The 5 wire wideband O2 sensors are different also. Which means cost more.
The MAFS is the same diameter but uses a different connector. The intake manifold is not the same, nor is the air box. The M56 has a different CCV that is, for the most part, contained within the valve cover. There aren't any hoses that connect to the intake manifold, unlike the M54. The air box is similar, but it has that HC filter. The muffler is from the 330, hence the butterfly valve.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #86
briangl92

No CCV hoses aside from the one coming out of the VC.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #87
txmbr

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Nice to have the simpliefied CCV...and you may be right on the intake. It was just what my Indy had showed me. The connectors are different on the MAF but the same as the 330 (size ect) sort of like the 5 wire 02 sensors...same as the other 5 wire 02 sensors (03 up)...but with a different connector for the SULEV M56.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #88
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmbr View Post
Nice to have the simpliefied CCV...and you may be right on the intake. It was just what my Indy had showed me. The connectors are different on the MAF but the same as the 330 (size ect) sort of like the 5 wire 02 sensors...same as the other 5 wire 02 sensors (03 up)...but with a different connector for the SULEV M56.
I did a CCV on a M54. Glad I don't have to worry about that! Or have to ever do it again At most, I think there's 1 CCV hose on our cars. The rest is integrated as part of the valve cover.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #89
crazzy88ss

Quote:
Those two filters and I'm running an ECU tune.

Why wouldn't you just buy a newer car with a M54 instead of going through all that trouble?
Just trying to learn about the situation and potential options.

I guess at this point the best thing to do will be to sell it at 14.5 years or 145,000 miles

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #90
crazzy88ss

----

So with this SULEV "issue" that BMW has created for itself and the poor folks who bought them... how can I ever buy another car and know that I'm not getting screwed with something ridiculous like a government-required $7000 fuel tank?

How many people even knew of everything involved w/ an E46 SULEV in 2003-05?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #91
briangl92

Quote:
Just trying to learn about the situation and potential options.

I guess at this point the best thing to do will be to sell it at 14.5 years or 145,000 miles

Thanks for the info.
I'd honestly be tempted if I had the means to get something else. Let's face it, at that age/mileage it's going to be hard to logically justify a repair like that.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #92
briangl92

Quote:
----

So with this SULEV "issue" that BMW has created for itself and the poor folks who bought them... how can I ever buy another car and know that I'm not getting screwed with something ridiculous like a government-required $7000 fuel tank?

How many people even knew of everything involved w/ an E46 SULEV in 2003-05?
It wasn't government required from what I've heard. I heard BMW got a tax break if they could meet the SULEV standards in these states.

You really can't...not a new one anyway. Look at the early 335i with their turbo and fuel pump problems. This stuff doesn't get flushed out until the cars begin to age.

Probably not many. Click the SULEV link in my sig. I want to start this and see how many people have actually had problems, who's exceeded the 150k, etc. We could also use it for Q&A since threads like this pop up every now and then but get a lot of attention.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #93
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Just read through all of these threads. I have an M56 with 156k so its past warranty but not having an issue at this time. I would either convert it to the plastic tank or has anybody thought about just adding a external fuel pump like cars used to have before the in tank pumps became common. Something to think about.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #94
Stinger9

It's a good idea until you start to think about all the complications that might arise. For instance the sucking jet pump might fail to work properly.
Naturally you'd completely wreak havoc on the emissions zero evap spec.
And you'd have to find a place to put a new pump. It could not easily be under the hood because it have to pump fuel back to the filter mounted under the driver's seat floorplan.
I'm not trying to discourage, just throwing out the first things that come to mind.
Love to hear your plans as they develop.

And how could you be past warranty? I thought all SULEV items were for 15 years? or is it only 10?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #95
bmwbob89

The warranty is 150k or 15 years whichever comes first. I don't think it matters where the pump is as far as the sucking jet is concerned it just need to have suction at the correct area which it would. It is not a real factor in the emissions as far as I'm concerned or care for that matter. It would involve a pump which is sealed and maybe a couple of rubber fuel lines spliced in. If you were really worried you could splice metal lines in as not to compromise the system. I think you pollute more when refueling than what is lost through a little evaporation from the spliced in fuel lines. With the cost of a new tank or converting to a plastic tank it worth trying. Cars had out of the tank pumps for years and the only issues were some vapor lock problems when the temps are extremely high. My pump has not failed and may not but the thought of the expense scares me. Especially since I see how the other pumps fail all the time.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #96
Stinger9

I wasn't caring about emissions, but if you ever had to pass a test.
I know how old pumps work; most used to be mechanical on the side of the engine. Electric pumps were hot stuff when they first came along. I converted my 2002 to an electric pump under the rear seat. Easy then to put a kill switch right behind my driver's seat.
So why aren't you covered for a new pump if needed if you're under 15 years?
And maybe there is a better pump inside the SULEV sealed tank?
Is your tank really stainless?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #97
bmwbob89

The warranty is 150k or 15 years whichever comes first.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #98
Stinger9

Yeah, completely forgot you could be over the mileage.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #99
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
FYI: My dealer verified our fuel pump losing pressure problem (only after I told him how to check for it) and is ordering a fuel tank replacement free of charge under the 150k emissions warranty. Car currently have 110k miles.

Diagnostic fee: $170
Gas tank: $8000
Labor: $700

That's about $9k covered under warranty. Woohoo!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #100
Stinger9

what an appalling misallocation of resources to build a car that requires close to nine grand to rectify a failed fuel pump compared the the $110 that it should cost if this was a normal e46. This is the intelligence of government incentives.
How much fuel vapor in the atmosphere did this save for thousands of dollars?
And then there's the poor sucker who is over 150K and so it effectively totals his car.

Tags
fuel pump, fuel tank, sulev, warranty