E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Table3

My Ride: '01 325xi
Question Is something wrong with my exhaust? [pic]

Notice how only the left tailpipe is grimed up with exhaust, while the right looks comparatively clean. Not sure what to make of this. Thoughts? Is the right pipe non-functional?

Last edited by Table3; 09-26-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Table3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
328ci906

My Ride: 2003 M3
Yes, the right pipe has a flap that opens at a certain RPM, and it seems that yours is stuck shut. Do a search for the gold tee mod. I'd bust it open and then leave it open using the golf tee mod.

Read Post #5 here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=520094
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
e46jki44

My Ride: e46 325i sedan
There is a valve on the right to that opens up after your car goes past 3k rpms I believe. This could be why one tip is dirtier than the other. you may want to make sure the valve isn't stuck closed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
e46jki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Table3

Awesome, thanks guys. Does the valve operate simply by responding to the pressure generated by 2,000+ rpm, or are their electronics involved?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table3 View Post
Awesome, thanks guys. Does the valve operate simply by responding to the pressure generated by 2,000+ rpm, or are their electronics involved?
From here: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e46/index.htm

Under MS43 ....

Exhaust flap

To realize an active silencer system, the exhaust system was given a controlled electro-pneumatic exhaust flap at the tail pipe of the main silencer. The exhaust flap is open (spring force) in idle setting, the vacuum unit is aerated.
The DME control unit actuates an electronic switch-over valve which supplies vacuum to a vacuum unit. If the DME control unit requires that the exhaust flap is closed, the control unit outputs ”earth” and the electric changeover valve is activated. Vacuum from the vacuum accumulator is applied to the vacuum unit and the exhaust flap is closed.
A minimum vacuum of approx. 200 mbar is required to close the exhaust flap. The angle of flap movement is approx. 70°. Electrical activation takes place by means of the DME engine control unit after evaluating various input variables:
Road speed signal > 3 km/h
Engine speed signal
Engine load signal
Engine temperature
The vacuum reservoir is necessary as the M52 B28, M54 B30 and M56 B25 engines only have a very low vacuum in the intake pipe at full load. The volume of the vacuum reservoir is set in such a way that 5 switching operations of the exhaust flap can be carried out in succession with the throttle valve in full load position. This is sufficient for normal engine operation as the vacuum level is built up in the vacuum reservoir in each temporary partial load setting of the throttle valve.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
e46dude93

My Ride: 330i mrs.maintenance
you have a muffler still, thats whats wrong!! lol muffler delete is the best thing ive done to my car thus far.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Is this a feature that a 2002 325i should have? I wonder if that's why mine is noisier than I think it should be?
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
FireFighter

My Ride: 325xi
Take a chisel and knock out the flap and plug the vaccum line and enjoy the new sound it makes
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Manolito

My Ride: '04 325iT Manual
My understanding is that the purpose of the active silencer is to maintain a minimum air velocity through the muffler to keep water and soot from building up in the muffler. It probably also makes the car quieter when it is idling, when it is more likely to have people in close proximity to the tail pipe. It is certainly not very important. If mine failed shut, I would block it open as others have suggested rather than spend time and money fixing it.
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Table3

I ended up banging it open as people suggested. There was plenty of soot built up behind it.

Tags
325xi, exhaust, tailpipe