E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Bmwefoursix

My Ride: 2005 bmw 325i
is it me or faulty part

im changing out the cooling system and i ran into a problem, the lower radiator hose does not match up with the new radiator i purchased, its a new hose i still have the old one and they are identical. im not sure if the radiator is wrong or if im suppose to do something special.. i have a 2005 bmw 325i, i purchased the radiator from advance auto zone,where i made them verfiy the part number and the correct vehicle..

The grooves on the new radiator are backwards, on the old radiator there is a small groove on top and a wider groove on bottem,(that goes for the old and new hose also) but in the new radiator the wider groove is on top and the smaller one on bottem. is this a faulty part or................
Bmwefoursix is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
sam35e79

My Ride: 00 323i
is it me or faulty part

Either wrong part or maybe auto vs manual radiator

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
sam35e79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Advance Auto or Auto Zone?

What are the brands for the hose and radiator? It will help in determining which one is off-spec.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Bmwefoursix

this is for an automatic m54 engine, i have searched the part number "432528" radiator to verfiy it myself, but it does not say if it is for a automatic or a manual. when ordering this part they told me its for an auto, i called several of there stores in my area and they all said the same, so i assume either there part is defective or they are giving me the wrong part out of not knowing what an auto is... the chooice is either standard or auto....so no one else has had this issue i guess
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Bmwefoursix

part number for radiator is "432528" as for the hose its "11531436408" ,i think as i ordered both lower and upper at the same time online, oem
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: 1.8T, XC70
Are the overall dimensions and size of the outlets of the new radiator the same as the old one?
Part designs can change over time, the replacement part may not look the same way.

GM No Reverse - posts 427, 439

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Bmwefoursix

the dimensions of the the outlet on the new radiator and old are the same, just the grooves on it are different, if i flip the hose up side down (which i did) then it goes on almost perfectly, except now the lower radiator hose sensor would be upside dwn and the hose wouldnt be able to attach to the thermostat, the hose would be now facing down and not up
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
lszlszx

My Ride: 1.8T, XC70
Would the old hose fit properly on the new radiator?

GM No Reverse - posts 427, 439

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Bmwefoursix

no, neither hose would fit as they are identical to each other
Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Check a online site like Pelican Parts with pictures of its parts and verify you have the all the correct ones for your year and model. Definitely sounds as if something is wrong.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Bmwefoursix

is it me or faulty part

I took the part back to advance auto ,which made me pissed, I had to take everything back off, I went to auto zone who had the right part I looked at the head on the lower radiator side to verify the right groove setup and install was a breeze... Everybody thx for the help!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
sam35e79

My Ride: 00 323i
is it me or faulty part

I hate getting the wrong parts always make jobs longer than needed

sam35e79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
The lesson here is to test fit things, before you rip them out of your car.
It is a hard lesson, but I am sure you will remember it now. I would also add not buying parts from Advanced Auto (or Autozone, for that matter), but it is a bit late for that.
What brand of radiator did they sell you, and how much was it? I am curious to see if you even saved any money by buying it locally. I think you will find that it is much better to just buy OE parts off of the Internet. Most places would have shipped you that radiator for free. If they don't, then they probably charge too much anyway. You can almost always find free shipping for mechanical parts.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, hose, lower, radaitor, system