E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My steering wheel is vibrating

684 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  stinkboy 
#1 ·
I just got two new front tires on and my steering wheel is now vibrating at higher speeds (60mph+). But the thing is, it doesn't do it all the time. It will vibrate for a minute and then stop for a 30 seconds and then vibrate again.

Also of note, one of the reasons I got new tires is because I hit a pothole and blew out my right front.

So....do you guys think my tires aren't balanced or my rim is bent?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Jake N said:
I just got two new front tires on and my steering wheel is now vibrating at higher speeds (60mph+). But the thing is, it doesn't do it all the time. It will vibrate for a minute and then stop for a 30 seconds and then vibrate again.

Also of note, one of the reasons I got new tires is because I hit a pothole and blew out my right front.

So....do you guys think my tires aren't balanced or my rim is bent?

Thanks!
your rim is probably bent from the pothole. mine is like that too. im waiting to get new rims. no fixing just living with it. if you get wheel balance they can tell you if your rim is bent. good luck..

#6 ·
so you got two new tires and the guy putting them on and balancing them couldnt see if they were bent or not? :dunno: its possible to have a bent rim do that, but you would think the tire guy would have seen it. and im sure your alignment is way messed up. even a little hole can mess that up. or fact of the matter if the tire guy sucked at balancing that could also be a problem. i had the same issue when i got four new tires. i had to take it to another tire place (same company, different guy balancing). didnt cost anything but time, but it turns out the first guy didnt do such a good job. too big a hurry and poor quality control.

#8 ·
i guess thats what you get if you go to pep boyz. my dealer is building a new facility and i was told they will have a fancy dancy wheel balancer. not many places in my town that do rims like the bmw and aftermarket rims. most are those places that put weights on the rim edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.