E46 Fanatics Forum banner

IX on E46 M3

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Twin_Turbo_S54 
#1 ·
Can we install the IX system on a E46 M3?

First of all, the main carrier has to be installed.

Main carrier of the M3 is much different, where the IX carrier is a rectengular part.

Is it possible to install the IX carrier on a E46 M3?

If I can install IX carrier, the rest will follow, I can build the system on the carrier. But the carrier must be installed very precise as the rack & pinion is attached onto the carrier as well.

I wonder if IX chasis has unique carrier mounting points which the E46 M3 does not have.

#9 · (Edited)
You would need the trans from the S54 so it doesn't matter. The biggest risk would be the front diff and transfer case. Also, the adapter from the trans to the TC would have to be fabricated as I'm not sure it mates to the M3 trans.

Didn't think this was possible, anybody done it recently?
It's been done on one car by some shop out east. It wasn't cheap and probably wasn't worth it. Adding a supercharger to a 330xi will get you nearly the same output of the S54 for much cheaper so I fail to see the point...

#10 ·
It has been done an finished by Impressive Auto Center, I called an asked them about the swap. In this case it would be cheeper just to buy A M3. All said an don he told me the swap all together ran about $15,000. He had to have the transfer case, an axles rebuilt to hold the torque. An thats just the beginning of the list of custom parts he had made. There's a video on YouTube about it.

#11 · (Edited)
the S54 isn't really a high torque motor. I've taken apart an E46 front diff and it's really not that weak either - the E30 ix's front diff is much weaker, and it'll take 300-400hp. And isn't the TC gear driven? there seem to be a lot of xi front CV shaft problems though.

the biggest weak point is the xi AWD system being based completely on the brakes adjusting the torque vector. It probably works fine but your brakes are going to be working extra hard.

the ZF trans from a 6-speed xi should very easily be able to handle the S54's ~260ft/lbs of torque. Hell, you can build an M20 that makes that much torque. it's not like it's a twin turbo V8 or something. I don't think I'd want to do it with the M3 trans, there are drivetrain alignment issues to consider - the Getrag needs to be the exact same length with the adapter or the mounts for the TC and driveshafts will no longer fit. It makes more sense to use the ZF 6 speed. The ratios are almost identical anyway.

Usually BMW drivetrain parts can handle at least 50% more torque than they see in service, if not more. the M54B30 doesn't really make much less torque than an S54 either - about 20ft/lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.