E46 Fanatics Forum banner

red-lining during acceleration

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Cecil328i 
#1 ·
I have a steptronic 330CI and I treat it like a manual. Although it's an automatic, I only drive it in manual mode (steptronic).

Is it bad for the engine if I pass the red-line in 1st gear during acceleration? I find myself doing more and more of this when I race with people. I'm affraid my engine will blow one day. Should I stop red-lining??

#27 ·
SST said:
As far as redline, hell yes! Nothing wrong with going there in any engine worth redlining. These BMW engines sound really nice when on full song.
Heck in my 325 the 2.5 doesn't really come to life before 3400-3500 and it pulls cleanly all the way to redline, which is 6500. The rev limiter is a few hundred rpms right after the tach redline.

TT
Redline is at 6500 rpms, That is also where the rev limiter should be at. I think you're saying that redline is where the red starts on the tach.

#28 ·
TeKNiC330 said:

Redline is at 6500 rpms, That is also where the rev limiter should be at. I think you're saying that redline is where the red starts on the tach.
I'm a little confused. In the attached photo, the arrow is pointing
at the position when I'm in 1st gear and the car will not automatically shift to second unless I do it manually. I would have to manually shift to 2nd. Is this consider the redline or the rev limiter?

#30 ·
the computer is set to predict your moves, if it thinks you wont be able to shift quickly enough it will shift for u but if you take off from 1st gear and the computer knows that you have control of it then it wont bother shifting it unless u hit the rev limiter....

i read that in the manual......;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.