E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Just got hardtop installed

16K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  jwalther 
#1 ·
Just wanted to offer any help to anyone adding the hardtop to their convertible. I have figure out most all the steps & adjustments. Let me know if you need any help. I'll post pictures later as shes in the garage now, cleaning her up & waxing for the winter.

#8 ·
@ E46er75...Why do I want a hardtop?....for the same reason you have an all wheel drive next to your vert. You CAN....right. You probably leave the convertible in doors all winter & drive the xi. and let me guess, you have snow tires on the X.....;)...:thanks:

I live in the best mountain road area in the eastern US and if I have to drive around on them with the top up during our below 50 deg days, lets put a hard top on it and pretend it's a coupe. Best of both worlds. AND how many Mystic Blue ZHP hardtop coupes do you see out there?

#12 ·
@ azndrunck74.....I do NOT have any of the creaking that to referred to. However, I lubricated the back bottom seal before installing with a good vinyl/rubber coating. I'm not sure if this helped that or not. I measured around the back area & have about 3mm clearance from metal bottom edge to the body and am not sure what is specified. I have very little wind noise & the car feel 'tighter' but this might be my imagination.

@ E46er75......I was just having a little fun with you. Didn't mean to offend you & no, I wasn't offended either. :>) FWIW; I had the top, why not put it on during the 'cold' months? I doubt that I would be dropping the top much during the months ahead. Also, when we drive our mountains or Blue Ridge Parkway, you lose about 5 deg for every 1000' of elevation, so it does get colder up there. We're at about 2200' here and a 20 min drive you're at 5000-6000'. Why do it in a soft top when you have the hard top. Just sayin. I apologize if I offended you.

#11 ·
I bought a convertible a few months ago that came with a hard top. I sold the hard top, but my car won't be driven during the winter. If I drove my convertible during winter months, I would definately put the hard top on. I also find the hard top looks very good.

Living in New England I am surprised that you don't see the value in this, and that you let your wife drive the XI without winter tires! We have 2 Subarus and both are shoed with Nokian Hakkas for the winter. I see no reason not to take every measure to make sure you and especially your wife have the safest car possible for those horrible winter conditions.

Nice ride BimmerNut3 :thumbsup:

#14 · (Edited)
I found it locally at $500 with cover & stand + BMW windscreen for $50 & a BMW outdoor cover for $30. I couldn't turn it down. She also threw in the BMW convertible top care kit for free. Her convertible was totaled and she bought a newer hardtop convertible & didn't need it. Sometime parts are cheaper when you want to sell them but expensive when you want to buy them, right.

#23 ·
@Jbehr99.....two basic opinions on the 'black out' from this group. To paint or to use the tape. I plan to use the vinyl tape from Shadowline Since my E46 has the ZHP package, all the trim is the glossy black, so that's what I ordered. You can go to the link & see both types. I'm sure there will be some that post to paint, but I had bad experience in the past doing this & the shop that painted the top said to quote "you can't paint chrome without it coming off in the future". I'll let the others argue/disagree with them. I'll let you know how it turns out for me.

#38 ·
He said its like a Bluetooth connection type thing. lol idk it didn't make sense to me either..

The lights & defroster will only work if they installed the Hardtop Prep Kit. Was this installed? If so, check the fuses.
They did all the installing because they painted it as well. ill take it back to them and have them check again thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.