E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY BMW Homelink for Non-Sunroof E46

36K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  veektor 
#1 · (Edited)
I was searching around the forums and found many write ups on how to install the homelink in under 10 easy steps. After looking at them all, they all had something in common. They had the sunroof panel, were a razor blade cut will do. After no luck in finding one for non-sunroof I came up with my own DIY. First DIY write up so please PM or post questions and comments. Enjoy
**disclaimer: I will not hold responsibility for any damage to the vehicle or user**

Parts:
Cover: 51448250115 ($11 CAD)
Bought it just in case I fail. :woot:
For Ref: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM33&mospid=47709&btnr=51_3736&hg=51&fg=40&hl=32

Tools:
Flathead screwdriver
Dremel/Rotery Cutter
File/Sanding block (anything to remove and smooth out edges)

Difficulty: 4/10
Time: 1hr - 1.5hr (Dremel and steady hands make for faster time)

Step 1:
If you have this set up, you can continue with the DIY.

Start by using a flat head screwdriver and gentle pry open the cover. the 2 tabs will pop out and you will be able to slide the cover out.

Step 2:

You can see the underside of the cover, the 2 tabs at the top that lock. Note: 2 "L-shaped" sliders at the bottom, those help hold the cover.

Step 3:

Pop the outer trim off by using the flat head screwdriver to lift one of the edges and pull.

The cover removed, exposing the trim and metal backing plate.

Step 4:
Measure out spacing. I found if you score a line with a razor, its makes it easier to cut out. Dimensions are 2.5" by 2.0" Use the part number, BMW symbol and microphone slits to help you with the orientation of the cover. Please note I took the photo after I cut to show the dimension lines.

Step 5:
Secure the cover to the table (or any another stable object)

Notice I have scored the line I want to cut. I found it easier to measure out the piece and making the lines BEFORE CUTTING. That way you were able to see your general cut out shape. Should be 2.5 x 2.0 rectangle.

Step 6:
Here is were you will need the Dremel. Take the cover and cut along the razor lines. I also suggest you leave yourself a little room so you can file/sand down the extra towards the end. It doesn't matter which side you cut first. Safety Eyewear is a good thing to have here, Dremel bits may break, or plastic pieces may kick up. You can see how I cut the 4 sides

Step 7:
After removing the cut out gently, I used a file to smooth out my edges

Step 8:
Test fit Homelink. Here I used a file and sanding block to make minor adjustments until the Homelink fit nicely.

Step 9:
Hard parts done. Now take the outer trim from before and cut off the center tab.

This is required because the Homelink will conflict with the tab once installed causing it to not sit overhead properly.

Step 10:
Reverse your tracks and install your new Homelink.
I started with popping the outer trim back in (with the cut tab edge facing the back of the car), follow the metal backing plate.
I fit the Homelink to the cover first like so

Then install the cover and Homelink simultaneously. You will need to give it a good push to get it back in, but nothing should break.

FINISH!

See less See more
#5 ·
waitaminute~! there is no need to do all this cutting. the trim panel with the cutout for the homelink is available as an OEM part from BMW~! that's what i did with mine. (i installed this back in 2001, so my memory is a bit faint, but i'm 100% sure i didn't cut anything or do any DIY for it-- just bought the parts, plugged it in and that was it).

here is the photo of my homelink that i had installed:

#7 · (Edited)
well, i sold my car and i took out the transmitter. so was selling the stock trim piece now and took photos of it (FYI, i already sold it on eBay). notice (see the photos) that it not only has the correct centered cutout for the homelink unit, but also a metal frame on the other side that stabilizes the trim piece and also hold the homelink unit there.

Photo detail of it:

#10 ·
Hey TerraPhantm,

I actually didn't know about the black mounting brackets were offered OEM. I've tried to search it on realoem.com to see if i could provide a part number to the dealers locally here and no luck. When I asked them, they had no clue what I was talking about.

And the reason for offset was to avoid the center reinforcement bar, it just make the cutting of the hole from my original plate a little easier to access.

I agree, I like the black after seeing it.

#11 ·
I've been getting a few message about the OEM Homelink mounting "kit" that I posted above. It was so long ago (bought it in 2001 when I bought my car) I don't remember much about it. I know I ordered it from a BMW dealer here in the USA so it should be an OEM and available part.

If you look at my photo here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rj2JvAFrR8G-7AQuG3oNOA?feat=directlink
==> The part number there says 8 171 514 -- maybe you can try looking that up??

Cheers,

#17 ·
After doing a lot of research, I learned that the OEM parts are NLA. I just did this DIY installation tonight. Went well and was quick and easy. Thanks for the post.
I'm glade this post helped.

My car has no sunroof and the ceiling has no compartment is there a DIY for cases like this?

Mine also had no sunroof, but I don't think I've seen that before. Is you headliner all one piece? You could try and pop the center light unit out and feel inside to see what you have to work with. You might have to cut your own opening, similar to what they did in this DIY The only difference is that you might have to pull your whole headliner down if its all one piece :thumbdwn:

#23 ·
Just wanted to thank OP for this DIY. Finished the installation this morning. The images indicating where to cut were the key to success.

I had considered going with a compass/UGDO/auto-dim mirror, but after trying to use auto-dim from the junkyard I realized my harness is only wired for security blinking the clown nose. I don't mind doing some rewiring, but the TIS for harness conversion did not thrill me with its 2 hour estimate for a professional shop, and I ain't no professional.

I also managed to score the UGDO unit from junkyard really cheap, so cutting plastic cover was a much easier, and less expensive approach. I will need to apply some silicone caulk or Automotive Goop around the UGDO, it's not a perfect snap-in fit, but a little silicone will go a long way to keep it from sagging and rattling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.