E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Tires rubbing in rear E46 HELP!

35K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  Alex323Ci 
#1 ·
Okay so i just bought some 19' rims thinking they could fit (my friends made it work on their bmw) the have 235/70/19 tires on them, they are only rubbing on the back. I really dont want to take it to a shop to get an alignment done (what most peoples advice is) and i would rather not roll or cut the fenders but i will if thats the only option. Is there any way to stop that tire from rubbing such as adjusting the camber slightly so it tucks in nicely? just adding that this is a 2000 323ci. please let me know what i can do so it stops rubbing.

#5 · (Edited)
lol

camber in will make it rub on the trunk wall, you'll have to roll or replace, those are your options...

Wait, 70 series? WTH? I hope thats a typo! I'm running 245/35-19 in the back...

#6 ·
lmao 70? i just got new 19" rims and am putting 245/35/r19's on mine aswell.

#9 ·
Same problem here! Bought 18" style 189 rims with tires 245/40/18 rear. Fenders were rolled but still rubbing. The dude who align the wheels told me it might be the shocks since it's just rubbing on deep bumps. Wanna know if there's other reason it's still rubbing before I have the shocks replaced... It's a 2003 325ci

#23 ·
A 235/70x19 is an astounding 32 inches in diameter, the proper tire for that car dials in at about 25 inches. Your car should not even be able to get out of its own way with such a huge tire, and if it does get started from a stop sign, it should barely be able to get up the hills on the freeway without downshifting. Indeed, with the relative flat power curve of a BMW and the tall gearing of the differential, those tires should keep you in about 3rd gear at freeway speeds.

There is something completely impossible about what you are saying. It is not possible for a tire that it 32 inches in diameter to fit under a 3 Series. You do not have slight rubbing, you have massive rubbing.

#39 ·
Hi guys new here and proud new owner of a 1999 BMW 328i with true 17"" BBS rimw. They have Toyo Extensa 235/45zr17 on them. It handles and drives great but scrapes on the fenders on bumps of cruising on the HWY and scrap when there's a dip. What do you recommend? Adding some wheel spacers or new rubber stops ? Thanks Dave

#40 ·
well "spacers" would push the wheel out. if it's hitting the fenders when you don't want the wheel/tire pushed out more.

sounds like you may have the wrong "offset" or too wide a wheel. meaning it's pushed out too far from the mounting hub causing it to rub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.