E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2009 M3 Jerez Black Major Paint correction 1080 HD video

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  OTD 
#1 ·
Hi guys

It's been a longtime since I touch my camera gear to make some detailing videos. I just been busy polishing :). Well luckily I met Richard, who is a much better video editor than I'm...and....He makes his own music ( crazy I Know )

So we have a M3 in for some major paint correction, it had a rough life before it came to us. It's been repainted, hacked by other detailers and front clearfilm was yellowing. The owner choose to have a major restoration done on his paint, all through it was not 100%. He was happy and also signed off to have it opt-coated.

Tools and products used

• Kranzle PW + foam Cannon
  • Wheel brushes
  • Sonax Full effect
  • Prima Nero on tires
  • Wheel got Hydro
  • Washed with optimum car wash with sheepskin mitts
  • Blower to dry
  • tons of towels
  • IPA
  • 3m masking tape
  • Rupes 3 in air polisher
  • Flex PE
  • Griots polishers
  • Makita rotary
  • M101 compound
  • Prima Swirl
  • Sonax perfect finish
  • Meg MF cutting pads
  • LC PPF wool pads
  • BS yellow, orange, white pads 5in and 3 in
  • OPTI-COAT

wells here's the video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9PkLRs2B8

As Always
Please feel free to comment or ask questions
Franki

See less See more
#2 ·
Really Impressive! I have a 2011 M3 in Jerez Black which I purchased new. I'm on the verge of starting my first major exterior detailing job. At the moment, I'm practicing on my 330i, because I don't have prior experience with all the methods and tools (e.g., high-speed rotary polisher/buffer) used to get the ultimate glossy finish that you achieved. I don't have paint damage issues to deal with, as you did, but I do have noticeable "orange peel." Did you have any "orange peel" to deal with in your paint correction? If so, how did you deal with it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Btw, your location is listed as NNJ/LA. Does this mean Northern New Jersey and Louisiana, N. NJ and Los Angeles, or some other combination? If you're in N. NJ, you should check out the following website: http://alpinesignature.com

#3 ·
The car was repainted, so there was orange peel everywhere. The only way to get rid of orange peel is to wetsand, compound, and polish.

since your car is fairly new, I would get a dual action polisher and a uber green pad. And some med polish would work. for example; menzerna powerfinish. I used to live in NNJ, now I'm in Socal

#4 ·
My assumption is that visible orange peel exists in the paint layer, not just the clear coat. Which suggests that any serious quest to be rid of orange peel implies sacrifice of the clear coat. Do you agree?
I have a very good rotary polisher (Festool Shinex). What advantage would a dual-action polisher have? Works faster when heavy cutting is needed? Thanks for your comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.