E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ZHP worth it?

12K views 95 replies 31 participants last post by  Marcus-SanDiego 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all just to make sure if this is a zhp or not. I'm looking at this 330ci, 6spd manual tranny, cube trim, the front bumper looks different from all the other 330ci's I've seen and what I think is alacantara interior (never seen alacantara in person so I don't know)

Alright back to the question of whether its worth the price.
Found the car, its:

AW 2004 330ci
84k miles
seller is asking 13.5

worth it? yes, no, maybe so?:4ngie:

#6 · (Edited)
Yes its a ZHP.
Yes it is worth the extra $$$. That is if you care about performance round bends and the nice Mtech body pieces. If you want straight line bragging rights, you would be better off with a 330i and spending the change on cams + headers + tune or saving up for S/c / turbo.

What is nicer in the ZHP that would cost you a bunch to change is :
- the steering rack,
- steering wheel,
- the wheels look nice but they are really heavy,
- early 330i were 5 speed but all zhp are 6 speed,
- taller gear on the rear diff.
- Some claim stiffer sway bar and shocks but I'm not entirely sure about it. There is debate regarding that. Somehow tho everyone who has driven both (including myself) do tend to think that the ZHP is a stiffer ride.
- There is also an additional 10hp from Cams / tune and exhaust from factory, but as I said earlier that is really not a good reason to pay the extra for the ZHP.

13.5k with all maintenance is a good deal on a ZHP
11k is what you would pay for a 330i with that kind of mileage and good maintenance / condition

How are the tires / what brand / model. All maintenance done at BMW / one owner ?

#13 ·
What is nicer in the ZHP that would cost you a bunch to change is :
- the steering rack,
- early 330i were 5 speed but all zhp are 6 speed,
- taller gear on the rear diff.
six speed and steering rack are the same in same year non-zhp 330s.
they all got the change.
differential gear is shorter not taller.

#7 ·
To make sure it's a ZHP call a dealer with the VIN number and ask if the car has the ZHP option. That's the option code for the Performance Package on '03 to '05 330i's and ci's.
They will be able to give you all the options on the car such as ZPP Premium Package, 0249 Multi-function steering wheel, 0674 Harman-Kardon sound system, etc.
Is the ZHP option worth it I think so, it turns a good car into a great car. ZHP gives you a little more HP, a little higher rev limit, bigger wheels and tires, and an aero package.
The price looks reasonable for a well maintained example. Since BMW's recommended maintenance schedule is marginal make sure all the scheduled maintenance has been done on schedule. Again, check with a dealer to see what warranty work has been done.

#9 ·
That's a really good price... If I were here I wouldn't budge and I would raise the price to 16k.

#11 ·
Yes that's a good price if it all checks out. Should have a better resale when the time comes too.

#22 ·
you guys are retarded. at 16k, you can have yourself a nice m3. 11.5 would be a good price. try and go for that. cash in hand

#26 ·
A nice e46 m3 for 16k? A 2001 m3 with 150k miles isn't nice. I would take that zhp any day over that.

#25 ·
OP, you should jump on this car if you're in the market for a ZHP. But I would definitely be looking for paintwork. Take a very close look at every part of the car. A PPI should also be done. And find out if the owner has the stock wheels.

This car, if no paintwork (meaning no accidents), looks to be undervalued based on the current market price for these cars.

#34 ·
Accidents will show up on the Carfax if there was a police report associated it, and/or the relevant DMV reports information to Carfax. It's by no means infallible, which is why a good PPI is a must. A skilled mechanic should be able to spot evidence of major bodywork.

#36 ·
If the car is clean you better jump on it. 13.5 is a good price and a ZHP is a great car, specially after you drive it for a while. I spent 3 months looking for my ZHP coupe and I settled for my 3rd favorite color and an Auto Transmission and I am very happy with my choice. If you like AW, you won't find another one in that price range with a MT for a really long time.

#38 ·
Notice the front bumper doesn't line up with the body? I'd also be a bit wary of the fact that they've carefully avoided taking photos of the center console. In the shots showing the steering wheel it appears there are missing trim pieces around where the audio system or nav should be... either means badly installed aftermarket (chopped up air vents behind that is a possibility) or the car was the victim of a B&E where the stereo/nav was stolen.

I would probably jump on this myself as I'm shopping ZHP's at the moment... but I would have to get that tint removed to pass Missouri inspection and I'm a bit wary of the car given the pictures and lack of good information on the seller's site. Having said that, it might be an awesome car to buy or it could be a project car.

Oh, and one other thing to bear in mind is that yes, Carfax and AutoCheck both seem to agree the car's driven a LOT of miles in the last year since it was last sold. Less than a year owned and lots of miles can mean lack of maintenance. Could be nothing but a good PPI should find any serious issues.

#41 ·
According to another enthusiast on this forum, he went to test drive the car yesterday, but didn't find it as clean as we first thought. I believe he said the driver side door handle trim was a bit rough, the rear wheels rubbed when flooring the gas (if I got the car, how would I fix this without having to roll the fenders?), there was no radio (wth?), and the floor mats were shot. He wasn't able to test drive it very far because he forgot his insurance card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.