E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Too out my spare. Good Move or Bad Move?

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  SeanGohain 
#1 ·
So i decided to take out my spare today. turns out, i saved 30 lbs. Figure that my Vert is rather heavy compared to the Coupes, a little weight saved here and there can do wonders. So what do you guys think? Good move or bad move?

#6 ·
i understand the concept of 50/50 weight distribution. But with my vert, the rear is obviously heavier. so by revoming the spare (30lbs) i should be closer to 50/50 not away from it.

#11 ·
LEAVE IT IN!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at my sig to see what a spare can do for you. The body shop guy said that good thing I had the spare tire in b/c it lessened the force of the collison. It took some of the blow from bieng rear ended.

Are tenths of a second that important??:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

#12 ·
first323 said:
LEAVE IT IN!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at my sig to see what a spare can do for you. The body shop guy said that good thing I had the spare tire in b/c it lessened the force of the collison. It took some of the blow from bieng rear ended.

Are tenths of a second that important??:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
yep... I agree with first323 and with jAb...

peace
B

#13 ·
:cry: :cry: :cry: ... i'm not in it to save .02 seconds off my 0-60 time. I was doin it to make the car more leveled. But after seein the accident thing.,..... guess i'm putting it back. Thanks guys.

#14 · (Edited)
read the article in the current Automobile magazine...

lilherc79 said:
i understand the concept of 50/50 weight distribution. But with my vert, the rear is obviously heavier. so by revoming the spare (30lbs) i should be closer to 50/50 not away from it.
they say 50/50 is not all its cracked up to be. More weight in the rear in rear or AWD cars is better becasue it sticks the wheels to the gournd. Check it out.

pg. 58. "A popular motoring myth is that 50/50 distribution os the ultimate"

The Porsche 911 turbo has 38/62 weight distribtuion...

#16 ·
funny...

I got a huge bolt in my tire a few months back so I replaced it with my spare and never fixed my flat tire so I kept it out because it was useless until I had it fixed. But after I lowered my car on H&R race, I needed extra weight in the back to help push the back down so I put it back in. Anyways, I say leave it in because flats come at any time and sometimes it's just NOT the thing you need.

#23 ·
So you can foresee the future, eh? Wish I could.
lol..i think its just bad logic
Ha..ha people like you make me laugh..
there are lots more things that can get you stranded than a flat. like busting your oil pan and running low on oil, cracking a radiator hose and running out of coolant. i don't hear you taking out the spare and put in quart or 2 of oil in there or a jug of coolant of water just in case. That's what i do.
BTW: dos'nt the M3 have a flat tire kit instead of a spare.:D

#24 ·
Sean`02///325ci said:

Ha..ha people like you make me laugh..
there are lots more things that can get you stranded than a flat. like busting your oil pan and running low on oil, cracking a radiator hose and running out of coolant. i don't hear you taking out the spare and put in quart or 2 of oil in there or a jug of coolant of water just in case. That's what i do.
BTW: dos'nt the M3 have a flat tire kit instead of a spare.:D
Busting an oil pan? Where the hell are you driving?
Running low on oil is what happens to an idiot.
CHECK radiator hoses and that won't happen either.

People like you make the dealer and tow truck drivers laugh :)

#25 ·
and people like you is what gives a newer definition to being a moron.
Got that right. Your oil pan has more chances of hitting that awkard piece of junk on the road that cracks thru the 50 cent oil bolt and spill your precious engine oil all over the place.
Check radiator hoses...ha..ha that's a good laugh..
it's synonym to: check your tires and you won't have a blow out. now that is some shitty piece of logic .IQ => Absolute Kelvin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.