E46 Fanatics Forum banner

torque converter.

30K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  netfatih 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a code p0741 saying that i had some issues with the torque converter. Took the car to local dealer and as always they recommended replacing the whole thing with a brand new converter for a whopping $3500K.

There is no difference in the way it drives as well as shifting smooth through every gear. No slipping through shifts either.

Does anyone have any recommendations or reputable sites on where i can buy an OEM torque converter for an automatic 03 330i. Any other help as far as diagnosis would be great. Car has about 80K on the dash

#2 ·
searched and can't find much on even purchasing an OEM torque converter

#4 ·
i dont want it to result in further problems. if it ended up damaging the transmission as a whole id be out 5000K

#6 ·
Well tbh even if your torque converter did go out you wouldn't damage the transmission at all, have you considered the problem could be electrical though? It just seems well over the top to replace the entire torque converter while the car is running as normal.

And I have a few points to add,

Don't go to the dealer. An entire transmission replacement shouldn't cost more than 2,000 dollars. Hell, you could even do a manual swap if you had a shop that was half experienced.

3500K = 3,500,000 dollars. 5000K = 5,000,000 dollars.

As i'm sure you're aware, P0741 means that the torque converter clutch is reported to be stuck off. If the car is driving normally, then your torque converter clutch is working normally and a sensor is relaying bad information or the solenoid in the transmission that controls the torque converter clutch is starting to fail. If it's not driving normally, your first course of action would to be replace the torque converter clutch solenoid which is very cheap compared to the cost of a new torque converter. I'd be very surprised if this didn't fix your problem.

If you're determined to change your torque converter, know this most likely will not fix your problem. I'm sure the dealer knows this.

#17 ·
Hi,

replaced a TC last week after find out an error "slippery TC clutch".
I put in a rebuild one and solved the problem. Now the tranny is more efficient (1.5 litre less petrol consumption on 100km) and the car run smoother!!!

If You have the same problem do not hesitate and change the TC.

Bye.

#18 ·
Torque converter is basically a hydraulic clutch. Symptoms are same as a bad clutch - excessive RPM increase in relation to actual vehicle speed (RPMs climb faster than you actually go). Do you notice that? Also it can tend to make a pretty loud noise it badly worn enough...

#21 ·
I don't see it that way - your car was burning more petrol than normal and was costing you more. It simply stopped costing you more because you replaced with a rebuilt. You didn't save anything.

Acarder, your references above were some great finds. I'm reading them myself now. I'd suggest doing the solenoid/sensor, as several folks have stated above. Also wouldn't hurt to do a tranny flush - always start with the cheapest repair possibilities first, and work your way up...

#22 ·
I don't see it that way - your car was burning more petrol than normal and was costing you more. It simply stopped costing you more because you replaced with a rebuilt. You didn't save anything.
Yes...but if I did not fix it my car will continue to burn more petrol which will cost me more during the time...

Nevertheless everyone has its own reason to do something.

bye

#23 · (Edited)
I bought a reconditioned torque converter directly from ZF, who built it to 'alpina' spec in Germany and shipped it over to the UK. In the UK they will happily sell you a NEW (not remanufactured) unit for less than half the price that BMW try and sting you for. i.e. It's £1,000 at BMW, £450 direct from ZF! I would imagine ZF would have 330 units in stock in the US...

I had mine rebuilt, which cost £240 and internally is like new.

Having suffered the TC jumping out of lock on motorways whenever I went up a slight hill or slowly accelerated, I bit the bullet and had it changed. It's completely transformed my cars performance now.. I'm well chuffed! :D

Sorry I can't help much if you have a GM box, but give ZF a call in the US and see if they can sorted you out. In the UK, they were more than happy to take business away from BMW ;)

Rich

#24 ·
Yeah i replaced mine for pretty cheap with the help of jbeurotech and turns out when we took the converter out the seal was badly damaged letting little particles into the transmission itself. Replaced it and all is well.

#26 ·
Mine started throwing P0741 about 6k miles ago. I do notice that it doesn't lock-up as fast as it used to. I'll convert to a manual in the summer but it still runs fine for the most part.

#28 ·
P0741 too - question for those who use INPA

Hi all,

I've been getting P0741 on my 2002 330Ci for a couple months now. The lockup clutch is not engaging; confirmed using INPA and verifying the lockup solenoid is always off.

After a lot of searching, I'm almost positive it is the dreaded TC issue.

When I do the solenoid tests in INPA, they ALL report back good, however the lockup solenoid makes distinct "thud sound", cycling on and off every second. It does report back good. None of the other solenoids make any sounds.

Can an INPA user please confirm if it is normal for only the lockup solenoid to make this sound during diagnostic?

My gearbox temp is running around 220F on the highway, which I feel is too high. Any comments on this?

PS - Fluid level is fine and ATF is not burnt or dirty.

Thanks for the feedback.

RRG

#30 · (Edited)
I had the torque converter code around 18k miles ago.

I only changed the transmission oil around 10k miles ago. It didn't help for the code.

I made lots research about this issue. I have decided to change transmission whenever my transmission will go out because of the torque converter.

I'm still driving the car.

Note: My driving style is totally sport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.