E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My first E46 has arrived. PICS!

6K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  Gensker6 
#1 ·
So yesterday I picked up my 2002 BMW 330CI Automatic with 53,888 miles, sport package, navigation and a spare set of wheels and winter tires. I didn't know what to expect considering I've driven plenty of BMWs before but never actually owned one. Needless to say I am thoroughly impressed with it. Ideally I wanted a manual and gray leather isn't my favorite but considering it is a one owner with every single service record since new and by only one dealership I was ok with that. I've never owned a car with xenons before either and I love em, the car isn't the fastest, but it isn't slow either. Overall I feel that this really fits the bill as far as an extremely well rounded fun car that I am proud to drive. I'm not sure if mods are I'm the future, I'm just taking it in as it is for now. Here are some pics.

See less See more
#2 ·
wow, that is some seriously low miles for a 2002! Steel Grey Metallic checkin in here, such an amazing color, you will LOVE that color, it changes based on how much light there is in the sky. Only thing I'd be sad about is that it's an auto :(

#8 · (Edited)
+1 get ready to fork over at LEAST another $3,000 to get it back into decent shape even if it's MINT. Unless you have receipts to show the entire cooling system, suspension, etc was replaced...

$5,000-$7,000 if you're picky. First BMW?

Nuts, bolts, washers, screws (not even talking about missing ones, talking about ones that are stained or look funny)

interior panels, bulbs, light assemblies (faded, dirt inside, etc) rubber seals, oils, filters, seals, washers, etc.

also pure man hours in cleaning, reconditioning, restoring, and analyzing.

#12 ·
Love it! Very clean.

Free upgrades? Get the newer BMW nav firmware with night mode and speed alerts, and the 2008 map database with Trapster speed trap warnings. The nav wil audibly alert you when heading into a regular speed trap!

Then, if you like iPod an bluetooth, find yourself a TCU and Intravee II.

#14 ·
Awesome car OP, really love the Steel Gray (favorite color for e46) and looks great as a coupe. I don't hate the gray interior as much as I thought I would, looks really clean, and at least it is not tan.. Auto still kills it for me but for now, enjoy it! 60k is cooling system time however.. might as well pay the $350 dollar insurance and take care of it right away.

#18 ·
It's not miles, but age.

I don't understand how someone that's against PM makes such a statement. If you haven't done anything to your car but just drive it, how are you qualified to make such a statement?

The fact of the matter is you aren't.

All I can do is warn new owners. If they don't want to replace necessary stuff, fine by me. :evil:

#16 ·
I have the same car but with black interior and 72 wheels. It is fun to drive and you'll always look forward to driving it. Maintenance can be costly if you drive it for long distances regularly. There are DIY for everything on this site if you are willing. Btw, is that an oem nav system or is that a dynavin?

#20 ·
who put in a GRAF pump?!?!?! :eeps:

#25 ·
Price of car: $(+/-)7,000
Preventative: $8,000
Grand Total: $15,000
$15,000?!?!

That's M3 territory.

#27 ·
You guys are going to scare away the new owner here... :yikes:

OP: I guess the takeaway is there's no magic recipe to 'restoring' your E46 or whatever term may be attached to it, or any hard and fast $$$ figure to shell out.. But rather know the weak links in this car (cooling system as pointed out, suspension including control arm bushings, RTABs, subframe etc., CCV since you live in a cold zone etc.) and play it as it comes.. Your car is probably in great shape going by the miles and ownership history, and now you have the information to stay on top of things... :) And honestly, this car isn't a pricey one to maintain.. They're easy to work on if you're handy, and quite sturdy and reliable as long as you're not abusive take care of them..

Over and out.. :thumbup:

#29 · (Edited)
@OP, it isn't that serious to spend 3 grand to freshen up your cooling system and car. And I've seen customers bring over GRAF's, makes me tear up inside. Before I install them, I always give them disclaimers and liability warnings on my end haha. I'm not another stewart bandwagon guy, but I did it to see the huss and fuss it was alright. Didn't notice anything but I do like the lifetime warranty. I have worked with cars with barely any mileage and at 53k give BMW some credit, the car won't fall into shambles. I've worked on them at 200k mileage!

So don't be intimidated about owning a BMW, it isn't THAT serious. Now it doesn't hurt to keep a couple bucks laying around for repairs if the expansion tank explodes, for the fcabs give out, or the ofhg, etc. Nothing personal, I just feel the prices were a bit exaggerated earlier.

I have yet to seen an entire cooling system fall apart at 53k yet...

Hell, even sometimes aftermarket parts can fail before the OEM ones leaving you assed out regardless. Seen it a dozen times.

#31 ·
nice car!!

bought my 2001 with 98,000 miles. has 143,000 on it now. original cooling system. no such thing as replacing the whole cooling system as preventative maintenance. for every expansion tank explosion story, there are 10 people who have the original cooling system and it's fine. save your money.

#32 ·
Nice car, looks clean and color combo looks better to me than when you described it in the earlier thread. with such low miles and dealer serviced/receipts youre looking good. and no you should not need to replaced good parts with $7,000 worth of new. (but some might be prudent to replace.)

Oh Mango stop your "Fear-mangoring". (see what I did there, took "Fear-Monger" + "Mango".) new E46 Fanatics word!!!!!! Fear-monger, fear-mangoer, fear-mangoing. :lmao:

#35 · (Edited)
jesus christ mango what are you doing here rambling about a refresh costing over a grand that has to be a joke right? your bolts and washers must be costing 3 bucks a piece at the dealership at those prices. you gettin raped boy lol

op my cooling refresh with stewart water pump for parts costed less than 400 bucks and all installed for about 100 bucks and a little elbow grease with my friend. at 53k your suspension will need zero attention maybe your fcab might have a 1 or 2 cracks 250 bucks max installed. my vanos costed 55 bucks for parts and 100 for labor helping my friend once again. my whole car was refreshed for under a grand so please please dont listen to mango he preaches things to scare off new owners when really find a good local mechanic .

consensus here is mango prob takes his 10 year old car to the dealership and pays 115 bucks an hour for labor if it costs him even 4k to refresh his car. i bet i have more aftermarket parts and upgraded cooling parts than 99% of e46's on this forum and everything still came in under 2k

my stewart pump silicone hoses ati damper shrick cams new refreshed cooling system and upgraded interior and exterior parts maybe 4k tops

mango if you were so anal about a perfect car why didnt you buy a car with zero miles?

youve spent so much money and dont even have rims or tint on your windows. sounds like your bs-ing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.