E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone have any ideas ??? P1500 and then some

12K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ken@bimmertools 
#1 · (Edited)
I searched this forum and the internet and read many many threads but this issue is a little different. I am getting a P1500 code which may or may not be related to the next issue. Which is...... I occasionally get all three lights on the dash EML, SES, and DSC to light up in the morning when the car is cold and within a mile of my house. The three lights come on when I hit a rough patch of road which makes me think wheel sensor.

BTW, when I get all three lights, simply turning key off and then back on reboots the system and I usually don't have trouble or lights the rest of the day.

First question, how do you troubleshoot a wheel speed sensor??

I think the P1500 might be MAF related but I already replaced it once and that solved the same problem for a year or two. I only have 54,000 miles on my 01' 330i and could I need a third MAF??

Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks :str8pimpi

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response. I am afraid you are right but for my situation, that is the last thing I want to do. I live in a region with very poor dealerships. I have had several negative experiences with them and I didn't get any support from BMWNA either and therefore, won't be buying anymore BMW's unfortunately.

I suppose I can pay to see if there is anything special the BMW computer comes up with but I run the risk of the tech overwriting my ESS Supercharger firmware.

Anyone else with ideas. Thanks.

#4 ·
Need to get the BME codes before any real help can be given

SUBJECT
M54- DME Faults 204, 211

MODEL
E36/7 (Z3 2.5, Z3 3.0); E46 (325i, 330i); E53 (X5 3.0) with M54 up to 09/03

SITUATION
"Service Engine Soon" light is illuminated. Intermittent and "currently not present" faults: FC 204 (Idle speed plausibility) or FC 211 (Idle valve "plausibility" valve mechanically stuck open) is stored in the DME control module. Note: This situation applies only to vehicles equipped with MS43 DME control module.

CAUSE
Engine induction system component failure (e.g. idle valve, Air Mass Meter, or intake manifold air leak). Sensitivity of DME idle diagnostic.

PROCEDURE
Perform basic diagnosis of fuel/induction system using DISPlus/GT1 tester. Check additive and multiplicative mixture adaptation for correct values (additive values should be between +/-0.35 ms; multiplicative between +/-8%). Perform repairs as needed. Check Air Mass Meter for correct operation (air flow at idle should be between 14-17 kg/h). Perform repairs as needed.

In case that the fault is intermittent, hardware failures were not detected, and/or the vehicle has a history of multiple idle valves/AMM replacements, on a customer complaint basis, reprogram DME with the current Progman version. The improved DME software was introduced since DIS CD V35.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD

Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD

In BMW's Factory inof p1500 comes up invalied you need to get a better scanner on the car and come up with a vlid BMW fault code

#5 ·
Thanks JB for the reply, it really helps. I will take the care into the dealer and have them check for any DME codes.

I need to check with ESS to find out if the dealer can upload the latest DME software without interfering with the Supercharger data.

Thanks again :str8pimpi

#8 ·
You may consider using a Peake Research scan tool. Very affordable, easy to use, and reads only the BMW factory codes. As Seth points out, your generic OBDII code is not helping your diagnosis.

Have a look at the article linked in my signature titled "Is your check engine light on?" - it outlines the difference between generic OBDII and BMW specific codes and readers.

We offer the complete line of Peake tools well below retail and include free domestic shipping. www.bmwscantools.com to see our selection.

For the price of one trip to the dealer for diagnostic, you can own the tool that reads the same codes they see on the initial scan.

It will not, however, help you with EML/Brake issues.

Ken@bimmertools.com if you have any questions about the tools.

Good luck,

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.