E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Non-M Power Pulley Kits??

4K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  ThatGuy_JZ 
#1 ·
Alright, don't see to much discussion on pulley kits, now I'm getting a thermostat and water pump replaced and also decided on getting a pulley kit, but still don't know which ones to get that will work the best.. Any opinions? Thanks.

#3 ·
Yeah I am, it's a easy DIY, I think what happens with the pulleys over time they just don't produce the power it should and I'm at like 102k miles, so yeah. Im just waiting on the parts... I'm driving my M for now..

#8 ·
I have the UUC kit, you'll never feel an ounce of difference, and I highly recommend them!
They look great, are emotionally satisfying, and build in reliability with the metal construction that won't ever crack like the oe.
Very easy to install once you get your fan off.

I stock on extra belt in my spare tire well because now you'll need a nonstandard size.

#27 ·
OP as you can see in the thread linked I answer a lot of questions about these. I had them for years on my non-M and also have them on my M3.

I think the best thing to say is you'll notice the steering feel a bit firmer which is preferred by many. But on the M52TU/M54 don't expect to feel much of anything. You may feel something slight in mid-high rpm range.
So for the street just buy the cheapest 2 pulley kit with belt.

#10 · (Edited)
I know apparently that people say its a little gain, but I found these power pulley kits from OBX that come with the water pump, steering, and alternator pulleys and they say they gain up to 11hp an I only want them cause there red lol. If I gain 5hp I'm happy.. Lol.

#12 ·
I found these power pulley kits from OBX that come with the water pump, steering, and alternator pulleys and they say they gain up to 11hp an I only want them cause there red lol.
I say enjoy the beautiful red color!!

I'd not play around with the alternator pulley tho.
This could be a big mistake cutting back on your electrical capacity even in the slightest.

#13 ·
so here is what I was told - ESS reports without a doubt that the underdrive pulleys do not add or take anything away from their setup or in their testing with everything oem - and told me not to waste money on them

just a thought - but if you are going for looks - do it but do not expect to notice any improvement

#16 ·
Waist of 200$ you will not even notice..

#34 · (Edited)
Pulleys look fantastic!

Is your car faster when you've just washed it too?
lol.. thanks and sometime lol. I found that when i bought it the dealership had left my waterpump loose from 2 bottom bolts that was just hanging.. the car is doing great tho, finally fixed my main problems tho..

#38 ·
I have a Zhp and installed a used set of UUC pulleys then tracked my Zhp. I have been track driving for 20+ yrs, over 12 different BMW track cars so I can feel when a car performs better on the track. The pulleys are fractionally more powerful on track use. On the street, you won't tell any difference unless you rev at 5k rpm all the time. So unless you got a good deal on used pulley set like I did, its not worth new full price unless you track your car.

#40 · (Edited)
This probably affects our car more perceptably than pulleys will. On a cold winter day at low altitude your car will make great power and be very efficient. At the same altitude on a hot and humid day, your car is going to be weaker. The air is less dense and water vapor is taking up some space as well. My Jeep used to be noticably better performing in the winter. I could drive up some hills on the highway in top gear at 80 mph in winter, but in summer it would have to downshift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.