E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Project: Dyeing dove grey interior to imola red & black

329K views 302 replies 129 participants last post by  Non-Affiliated 
#1 ·
So lately, I have been toying with the idea of changing my interior color from dove grey to Black and Imola Red combination. I was trying to decide between the cinnamon and imola but with my car being TIAG, I do not think cinnamon would work out. I know this will be a long process and I have gathered information from reading other members' threads about dyeing their interiors to different colors. I spoke with Khristie from leatherique and tried to get as much information about dyeing the interior and making sure that the dye colors that they are about to send me will match the OEM BMW color since I read somewhere about this guy who was going to do an imola red dye but then decided to go with cinnamon instead since he was told that the red dye that he wanted did not have enough red pigments due to goverment EPA restriction stuff. I asked Khristie about that and she told me that what they meant was that they could not match the deep red interiors that some other cars have but luckily for us, they have the exact BMW OEM Imola red color. So long story short, I decided to go ahead and do this dreadful project. It will take time and I will try my best to be as detailed as possible updating you guys.

I purchased the KIT #4 (48 oz of dye, 32 oz Rejuvinator Oil, 32 oz Prestine Clean and 32 oz Prepping Agent) and 1/2 oz of Crack Filler with the Imola Red Custom Color)
and also a quart of BMW OEM Black Matt finish for the plastic pieces etc.

Acrylic brushes from a hobby store...
Air brush kit and a small compressor from home depot...

I plan to start taking out the door panels and front/rear seats this saturday and start prepping them.

WISH ME LUCK!

See less See more
Reactions: Charlie1891
#255 ·
Thanks guys! Just an update, my interior still is in fact holding up. I can take photos tomorrow if you guys want to see it. As for cleaning it, I just use Leatherique pristine clean or a damp cloth and just wipe the interior.

#257 ·
Please do. I read this entire thread and all I kept thinking was "what does it look like today??"

Awesome job btw, looks very clean

#259 ·
Did it turn cinnamon? Can't really see :(

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#263 ·
Looks great, glad it held up!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#267 ·
Awesome - how is your red die holding up?

#272 ·
Hello,

May I ask how you got these separated? Last time I had my trim a part I couldn't figure it out but I was rushing and I had no other ride to work the next day.

Any tips, I haven't found much online. It's all about just the door handles and such.

Thank you in advance!

LOWER ARM REST AND SOME PLATIC PIECES SANDED DOWN

LOWER ARM REST PEICES 1ST PAINT COAT

UPPER ARM REST PIECES STORED AWAY

#274 · (Edited)
Sorry for replying late. I've been busy lately but I just recently took some photos of my interior last week. Still holding up well.

And some eye candy! :)

Hello,

May I ask how you got these separated? Last time I had my trim a part I couldn't figure it out but I was rushing and I had no other ride to work the next day.

Any tips, I haven't found much online. It's all about just the door handles and such.

Thank you in advance!

You will just have to pry them open. You
Might break a few clips. Just be careful. It's really hard to separate them.

#278 ·
well just killed some time at work reading this. I must say you did an amazing job!:thumbsup: always thought about dying my door cards cinnamon. now i am actually thinking about doing it!
you sure do have a lot of patience, something i lack lol
Again great job! looks great :clap:
P.S. those Recaros are something else :drool:

#279 ·
That looks great! I have a question on the door reassembly. It looks like you had to drill out plastic welds to separate the door insert (the part that is now red) from the door panel (that is now black). How did you reattach them.

I have a convertible and on my seat backs are that cargo nets. the Netting frame is attached with the same plastic weld procedure, which Im afraid to drill out until I am sure I can get back together (grin).

Thanks

#280 ·
That looks great! I have a question on the door reassembly. It looks like you had to drill out plastic welds to separate the door insert (the part that is now red) from the door panel (that is now black). How did you reattach them.

I have a convertible and on my seat backs are that cargo nets. the Netting frame is attached with the same plastic weld procedure, which Im afraid to drill out until I am sure I can get back together (grin).

Thanks

#284 ·
Wow. Just wow.

I've just purchased an MY2004.5 with the Kiwi Leather colour. All the panels are black, bar the inner pieces of door trims. I'd love to dye my whole interior the same colour; that simply looks epic.

I might look into this in more detail in the future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.