E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bmw Service DIY

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  sutureKING 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.
Just bought the wife a 318i 2001 step EX Black 144.000 km.
Want to do the service myself.
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter.
I have done this on other cars but not bmw.

1,,,Best Price in Oz to get parts(online or shops).

2,,,Will the Haynes Manual do or is there a better one.

3,,,Is their anything else I should be doing while I am at it.
Thanks

#2 ·
Hey there mate welcome :hi:

The Haynes manual may do you well, but be prepared, there are hardly any manuals for our 318's, but just ask on here for any advise, there are quite a few of us with 4cyl's so you shouldn't have any problems if you want to do any maintenance yourself.

#3 ·
As for parts, if you want OEM parts here in Aus, your best bet is to send a pm to Aden (t.wak) as he is a BMW rep and can give you pretty good prices on most parts. Other than that, if your willing to wait for your parts, Pelican Parts from the US do some really great prices as well as few other US companies, so you can save anywhere up to a third of the price you pay here in Aus.

#9 ·
hey,

I am new to the bimmer world, and just bought my wife a 2004 318i here in Japan. (I am american though). I want to replace the spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter. it has about 60k KM on it. ive read through numerous DIY's but none of them were our N46 motor and I was wondering if anyone knew the best websites for those parts and which part/filter should i get? I used to work on my Mazda3 alot so i have a small amount of wrench skills as far as maintainence goes. Thanks!

#11 · (Edited)
Yesterday I bought a lot of stuff for my BM from here: http://www.getbmwparts.com/

They have much better prices than Pelican on parts and shipping. Only thing is that there's a set price of $35 for international, so it's more worth it if you're buying a few items.

They are an actual BMW dealer in USA:
Started in late 2006, getBMWparts.com -- powered by Tischer BMW of Silver Spring, MD

#12 ·
The on-line shops are HEAPS cheaper than the BMW dealers here in Oz - eBay can really be your friend - I had a look at my Bentley manual but its does not mention the 4 cylinder cars. Perhaps the 318 motor in the E36 is similar as far as servicing goes??
Parts from the USA take about 5 days to arrive - how urgent is this service?

Enjoy your new car.

#14 ·
I went to the ECS website and liked it alot except for one thing - US sites do not usually support the 2004 318i because BMW stopped making the 318i for US markets after 1998. I am wondering the exact same thing Commando is...when you look up the motor type for the E36 models - it lists M42 and M44 i believe which is different from my N46. what the difference is, i do not know. I think this might turn out to be a trial and error thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.