E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Resale of cars with 200xxx kms +

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  YGOAMG 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Has anybody purchased or looked to purchase cars before with over 200,000 kms? I know its alot, ive been looking for a cheap run around for my mum when she gets back from overseas, I know wear and tear on parts will be noticable at this kms and I will be sure to inspect this car thoroughly if go to look at it, but just wondering if re sale for a car with approx 240-250 is even possible or not? Is there a market for a car with that many kms

#4 · (Edited)
you will still be able to sell it, but you have to be realistic on the price.

as for an e46 holding value, just go on car sales, look up similar cars to yours (i assume ur 323ci has 225ish on the clock) and see what they are listed at. I'm sure there are some on there................

edit: btw that 01 ML55 you mentioned isn't the facelift model like ours was. and ours was 2 years newer. we just wanted it gone. it was sold within a week.

#6 ·
No my BMW has sub 100k on the clock, im looking to purchase one on the side and maybe sell of mine just so I can save more $$$ for a home and other adventures to be honest, just needs LED tails, few upgrades, tinted windows, but im just worried what the resale value id be looking at after 1 year of approx 15-20 thousand extra kms as thats what I normally do.....

Im just wondering if would be able to re sell, technically speaking its 11 year old car at 20k a year average kms

#5 ·
When a dealer is selling the car, anything with less than 300,000 kms is low kms. Conversely, a dealer when they are buying or trading your car with kms > 0, they will act like the car is ****ed and going to fall apart and has too many kms.

I have bought a couple of cars with more than 260k on the clock. My Cortina had 260k and my EA falcon had 320k , it was all I could afford and that EA served me well and I gave it away to a mate when 370k on the clock. It wasn't brand new, but it was maintained, safe and ran fine.

#7 ·
In your original question you did not specify if this runabout will be a BMW or just a cheap car of any make. If you are considering buying a cheap runaround for your mum that is not a BMW why on earth would you consider buying a car with over 200,000 km? You could pick up a nice Pulsar with about 120,000 kms for about $5000.

If I have misunderstood, I apologise.

#8 ·
I think it all depends on the overall condition of the vehicle. There are cars with 120,00kms that have never been washed, always thrashed and hardly ever serviced. There are also cars with 250,000kms+ that have been really well looked after and serviced accordingly. I think it depends more on the overall state of the car, not just the kms.

#11 ·
This, but it might not be the quickest sale.

If you're buying a runabout car then buy something that is popular, cheap, reliable and well looked after.

When I was travelling 50km's to work everyday i bought a cheap daily. It was a 1982 Camry with 220,000kms but it was in immac condition for its age, and had a great service history. I picked it up for $900 with rego and a RWC, drove it for 6 months, put a couple of tyres on it and gave it a service. It took 2 weeks to sell and I got 1800 for it. Great example of how the condition is much more important than the k's on the clock.

#10 ·
That makes good sense, I was mainly checking in regards to resale, ive never personally sold a car with that many kms hence is new territories for myself, Also i notice that 200+ cars sit on the market for 6 - 12 months then go missing, i sometimes wonder to myself if they end up just trading them in or if they actually get sold ?

#12 ·
I bought my E36 with 260k on the clock, got it for a good price and it was very apparent that it had been well taken care of.

Getting close to 300k now and still running beautifully.

moral of the story: shop with caution, it's not unusual to get a great car with high kms, but be aware that certain things will probably be due for replacement.

#14 ·
Run down

What do you guys think a 325ci in good condition, with 220,000 kms is worth on a re sale, worst possible combination though, Grey interior with grey exterior and no sun roof, just asking what you guys think that type of car is worth, in my head 6-7k as its got a heap of kms and the combo is not to die for.......

Thoughts

#15 ·
high km kills BMW's, I bought mine for 10K, back when it had 250XXXkm on it, great first car, this was when the E46 was worth something still. Now thta the E46 is dropping in price, and mine has 278XXXkm on it as of this weekend. I dont think i could get more than 10K for it. When i tried to sell my car a few months back, looking for a change, I got offered 8K, that was the highest anybody was making offers at for my E46. As im now back in love with my e46 i couldnt care less about the resale.

#16 ·
Thats not a bad figure to work off I guess, so possible offer of 8k for a maroon 98 323i with close to 280 clicks, surely the 2 door with 70 clicks less and being the 325 which is the same engine would have similiar re sale around 10.

But im thinking its worth 6-7, but you never know, theres always a youngster that likes the look of the e46s coupes that might be able to scrap together that kind of cash no matter how many kms it has

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.