E46 Fanatics Forum banner

AA Methanol injection system

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  4dr05zhp6mt 
#1 ·
As previously posted, I am awaiting the arrival of my AA stage 2 s/c kit. I spoke with the guys at UUC Motorwerkes today who will be installing the kit when it arrives in the coming week or so. I wondering whether or not I should just spend the money to install the methanol injection system while I'm at it. Anybody using the system care to share any insight or thoughts on it?

#2 ·
For the w/a kit, the only thing that you would need to remove is the intake to tap a hole for the nozzle. I know you have to wire up a controller for the meth which the w/a kit doesn't have.

Not sure if you would require a different tune with the meth. Other than that, I don't think you'll save on any install costs by doing the meth install at the same time.

I will offer this. I would reinforce the battery tray or just make your own. The tray will break the tabs if your tank is full and you go into a corner hard. I had my own out of MDF and duraglas.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm also interested in w/a kits, but the tuning part worries me slightly. Suppose indeed you would tune your car for optimum performance with your w/a kit. Now imagine you're ran out of meth, away from new supply ....

I see the w/a not as much as a HP enhancer, but more as a temp controller. The few extra HP you "keep" because the temp stays low is a nice to have...

Here's a guy who seems to have researched a lot about tuning aspects when using w/a:

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/a...7762-meth-water-write-up-great-knowledge.html

(for a buick, but surely the theory is the same ?? )

greetings,

Dub

#10 ·
Thanks for the link Dub, really good info. My first question to the guys at AA was how would the depletion of w/a affect the vehicle. I'm really holding off any comments till the kit is actually on the car and allow myself to formulate an opinion of the kit based on my daily driving habits.

#7 ·
I had no end of problems with the AA kit and ended up going with a system from

THESE GUYS

Which has loads of features that the AA tank didn't have.. I also found the quality of fittings and lines much better than AA's ones.. I'm sure the newer AA tanks are better but the old one I had wasn't great.

Also correct above.. it doesn't add power, just gives more knock protection to allow higher boost

#8 · (Edited)
Methanol kits do add a little bit of power with out tuning just due to the ambiant intake air temps you will be getting. With a tune though you can get a good amount of power from methanol injection. But yes I would stay far away from AA. Labonte, snow performance, devils own, and cooling mist are some good methanol companies.

#9 ·
Hey guys,

Our older water alcohol kits and and our current methanol kits are different in a few ways.

The water-alcohol system only came with an on/off switch and a pressure switch (activated by boost).

The methanol system (50/50) also uses an on/off switch and pressure switch but also comes with a progressive controller (sprays more depending on boost).

There are cheaper alternative out there; however, our system is built to be a plug and play system. You won't have to custom fit/install it.

In regards to tuning, we do not tune our systems more aggressively for either system, they are used as an extra form of charge cooling, nothing more. By going with a custom system you will have to tune the kit by figuring out which nozzle to use, etc...

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

#13 ·
That is an iteresting approach using the PWM circuitry. That is kind of a crude blind dump though on first thought. Worth looking into though. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.