E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Interior leather re-dye

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TOGWT 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am redyeing my interior, I have a 2001 330 5MT which is silver on gray interior. I was very bored of the interior color So I decided to mix it up. instead of completely buying a new interior I began to research leather dye. So here I am in the middle of my leather restoration/color change and I'd like to share my process with anyone who is interested.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the first photo is what my boring interior looked like prior to the dye, the second photo is just so you can see what the outside might look like with cinnamon interior, the third is displaying how much dye I used just for the entire back seat, Thats about 1/3 of a quart, or a about 12 ounces per front and back. the last photo shows the door panels being done with about 4 coats so far. depending on how much interest I get I might do a write up, but if anyone has any questions let me know here. I know I had so many before I started but I had to answer them myself for the most part so I am happy to help out. Enjoy

#3 ·
Wish I had the courage to do this. I saw a really good writeup on this, but I use my car daily so I can't really be without it. Keep us updated

#6 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Quick question:
My understanding is that the leather color of course comes from the dye/paint that is used but there is an anti-UV coating on top of this paint as protection (and that this layer is what is responsible for the seats feeling "hard" once they're old). When you redye the seats, do you specifically apply any kind of protective topcoat or do you just use one of the leather 'protection' products (like Leather Master protection cream, etc)?
I have recently acquired a vert that is in decent shape but a few of the leather panels look like they had some sun exposure and need to be redyed.

Thanks

#10 ·
Applied finish - consists of two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications of semi-permeable polyurethane and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied as the final stage of the finishing process, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel (patina) and abrasion resistance, as well as a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle

Cross-linking enhances the physical properties of water-based pigmentation (colour) and the urethane coating, which proceeds to form a chemical bond between the molecules, creating a resilient and very durable finish.

An extract from a “TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - "What exactly is ‘Finished leather’? “-[U] http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/145364-what-exactly-%91finished-leather%92.html[/U]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.