E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The new m4

4K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
No more m3s it will now be called m4.
Only weighting 3550 pounds because of carbon fiber brakes, hood, roof, and trunk. It will be a 3.3 liter V6 twin turbo with 450hp and almost 400 pounds of torque. That's crazy!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
and i was quite sure they dropped the v6 for a tri forced induction inline 6.

#13 ·
Meh, you can expect that engine to have issues.

Na engine ftw. Turbos suck in reliability and on track.

Power has never been a problem with m3. Neither is mpg. So I don't get the point of changing their entire line to turbos.

Maybe it will further reduce cost for BMW to use same engine components and just tune cars differently for the trims.

The weight reduction is great. That is a nice advantage

#16 ·
My immediate thought was about the rifle when I was the title.

#20 ·
Amazing aggressive look. I would sign up to grab one if it looks anything like this but it will prob be 90k or something ridiculous.

#24 ·
The real questions concerning the new M3/M4 will be:

(1) Will it maintain an "M" specific engine, or just be a worked-over version of the standard 335i's turbo 6?

(2) Will it have the deadened electronic power-steering assist that is plaguing the new 3 series, or will it maintain hydraulic assist?

(3) Will it have grown too big physically to be able to be really tossable?

These are my real concerns, as I note that every generation of the 3 series has grown slightly larger and slightly less tactilly engaging than its predecessor. Even our e46 M3's, while a great compromise between power, performance, comfort, and connectedness, do not provide the same steering feel as the original e30.

#25 ·
(1) Will it maintain an "M" specific engine, or just be a worked-over version of the standard 335i's turbo 6?
This would technically be going back to M roots. I have a feeling it is going to be based off the N54 architecture. It is a twin turbo engine, not triple.

(2) Will it have the deadened electronic power-steering assist that is plaguing the new 3 series, or will it maintain hydraulic assist?
It will be hydraulic.

(3) Will it have grown too big physically to be able to be really tossable?
The M6 is still tossable, don't see why the M3/M4 won't be as well.

Tim

#26 ·
This would technically be going back to M roots. I have a feeling it is going to be based off the N54 architecture. It is a twin turbo engine, not triple.

It will be hydraulic.

The M6 is still tossable, don't see why the M3/M4 won't be as well.

Tim
Although the M5/M6 is tossable, one of the things that happens with heavy performance cars is the tires get fatigued and to overheat more quickly. This means they can't be consistent lap after lap. Just how I understand it.

I love the M5/M6 though!! While I think weight is inevitable, and that BMW remains competitive (if not a leader in weight) I think BMW does need to come down a little on the weight of future cars. Nothing unreasonable. 200 lbs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.