E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Well this a Crappy X-mas

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Tknojnky 
#1 ·
So here it is...I stoped to put gaz ( yes the right gaz). Then i started the car the Traction light, brake light and something called eml light came on. I turmed it off and started again..it went off so i pull out to the busy street the lights come bak on..and engine loses power and the RPM needle dances arond 1000rpm (up down up down). so i had to drive for abt 40 meters to pull to a side mean while the engine light comes on. So I turned it off for 1 min then start again, lights disapeared xcept engine light..car seems to run ok..i brought it home and parked it..everything is closed as in stealership..i hope its not gonna kill me. Anyone can give me something to ease the pain??..as in "its nothin big, it happened to me, it's something small, I'll send you a hooker anythin " aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh... This SUX. its a 325ci 2002.

X

#4 ·
xcalz said:
So here it is...I stoped to put gaz ( yes the right gaz). Then i started the car the Traction light, brake light and something called eml light came on. I turmed it off and started again..it went off so i pull out to the busy street the lights come bak on..and engine loses power and the RPM needle dances arond 1000rpm (up down up down). so i had to drive for abt 40 meters to pull to a side mean while the engine light comes on. So I turned it off for 1 min then start again, lights disapeared xcept engine light..car seems to run ok..i brought it home and parked it..everything is closed as in stealership..i hope its not gonna kill me. Anyone can give me something to ease the pain??..as in "its nothin big, it happened to me, it's something small, I'll send you a hooker anythin " aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh... This SUX. its a 325ci 2002.

X
Do you have any aftermarket products or is your car stock. I had the same issues but my problem turned out to be a bad Dinan Throttle Body.

#7 ·
do you have DDE's? when I installed mine i had this problem. I disconnected and reinstalled them and it solved my problem.

#11 ·
i think you should bring your baby back to the dealership

and have them check the error codes that is the smart thing to do...... the question is should you drive your baby to the dealership or have it flatbedded or towed.... don't know how your model is suppose to be towed flatbeded like the m3
or regular towed.... .... but in any case bring it back to the dealership.....
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

#14 ·
My 00 328Ci did the same thing with the lights. It did that for a couple of days and I have never had the problem since. I guess that was about 2 months ago. I didn't have any engine power loss though, the car drove fine, just some annoying lights in the cluster. Hope everything turns out ok.

#15 ·
A couple weeks back when it was real cold in the morning, I was getting on the freeway and my car started to stutter. When I looked down in the dash my ASC, EML, and CEL came on. The RPMs jumped all over the place. So I pulled over turned off the car, waited a lil bit, then started the car. It idled like normal, so I decided to try driving it again. Drove just fine. Only the CEL was still light up. I went to autozone and scaned the code. Said it was the Idle Control Valve had gotten stuck. My car has been running fine since then. I did some research and it appears as though some other members have experienced the same thing I did, and they all said it was really cold when it happened. From what I can find most of the time you just need to clean the Idle Control Valve and you should be good. I haven't had the time to get the bit I need to remove mine so I can clean it, but it's running fine and hopefully it will continue to.

#21 ·
xcalz said:

X
I had a similar problem with my X5. I think it was bad gas. I filled up in NJ during a trip and parked my car in my driveway for 3 days. When I started it, it vibrated for a few minutes so I shut it off and left it for a few hours. When I started it up later in the evening, it ran fine but I still took it to my mechanic. For $75 he told me it could be my ignition coils, spark plugs, or a bad injector since cylinder 4 and 5 misfired. But at 32K it was highly unlikely. My ignition coils were changed in October from the BMW recall so the coils were ruled out. I didn't tell my mechanic but I suspect I got bad gas since it was not my normal gas station. The problem hasn't happened since and I am on my 3rd of new tank of gas. I want to add an additive like techcron but didn't get a chance yet. Hope this helps.

#22 ·
This has happened to me also. It wasn't cold (It was the middle of the summer in CA) but I stopped at my grandparents house to help them with their computer, and about an hour later I came back out to my car to go home and the ABS, ASC, and CEL lights were all on. The car ran and drove fine, but I was freaking out the whole way home. I ended up pulling off to shut off and start the car several times. It cleared on about the third start. No CEL or anything.. I still bought a Peak tool and checked for codes. I only got one, but it was for the exhaust side of the VANOS. I reset the codes and it hasn't come back. Whew... that was close.:yikes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.