E46 Fanatics Forum banner

P2227 Code Fixed

39K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  WDE46 
#1 · (Edited)
There aren't many posts on the P2227 code, so this can be the one for people who have fixed their code. I fixed mine today.

There was a tear in the small hose attached to the F connector off the upper intake boot. I simply super glued it and wrapped it with electrical tape. As soon as I cranked the engine, the SES light turned off. I believe the part that tore was part 9 in the diagram below. Can anyone tell me the part number for this? RealOEM says this part isn't on my car. It's just a short piece of rubber tube about 2 inches long. It joins the F connector and the small vacuum hose.

Edit 9/12/16

Now I can repeat this error almost any time I want to. The code will be triggered if I take an on ramp at a medium acceleration at about half throttle. About 1 minute down the road at 80 mph, the light comes on. If I go full throttle or near full throttle, it won't turn on. So OBDII gives me P2227 and PA Soft gives me a MAF code (I'll add the specific code later).

#4 · (Edited)
Well, either my patch job failed or the rubber hose wasn't the problem. The P2227 appeared again tonight on my drive home. Checked my patch job and it was still secure. I have no clue what this could be. My lower intake boot was good, though I wasn't able to remove it. I couldn't see any cracks inside. I'm going to make another attempt at removing the lower intake boot tomorrow. I was unable to view the smaller part that branches off of it. This could be where the hose his torn.

#5 ·
That code is unrelated. Just coincidence you happened to touch that hose or repair it. That hose would throw a P0171/P0174 code which is a system wide lean condition. That code, according to google, seems to be sensor-related. Try cleaning your MAF?

#6 ·
I did that a while back. I read a post in my research that had a link to an image of a page from the BMW code book. The P2227 has something to do with a sanity check for the MAF and barometric pressure sensor. I believe it is detecting an air volume discrepancy b/w the MAF and ICV. I have also read numerous posts about people fixing this code with a new lower intake boot.

#8 ·
Yea P2227 does not show up in my Bentley manual, however, it could be missing or misprinted??

Appears to be Barometric pressure related, I believe this Baro sensor is located on the DME board??

Just hope you do not have any more issues with that code.

Suggest you read the first few links in my signature below.

#9 ·
That's the thing. The car runs absolutely perfectly so I don't know what it is. I reset the code once when I first had it and it took 3 weeks to come back. This time it turned itself off after I patched the hose on the F connector then came on again after 1 day.

#12 ·
What scan tool are you using??

It may not be reporting the proper code?

#15 · (Edited)
Just updating my thread as I continue to look for a solution.

An observation:

The light has come on about 4 times in the past 2 months. It always happens when I am low on fuel.

Also, this is a common code on all car makes and models. There are numerous posts on the internet, and none find any solution.

#16 ·
I have recently got he same code on my 330i. I only get the code when it's below freezing on my way to work in the morning. On my way home it goes away. It's then fine for a few days until the temp drops again. I have not tried anything yet as I am reading this post to see what I should do to fix.

#17 ·
Okay so I have had a long enough time to experiment a little with the causes. The code ONLY appears when I'm below 1/4 tank of gas. I have since kept my tank above that for the past couple months and I have not seen the code. So do you guys think this has to do with low fuel flow or something? Weather doesn't seem to have any real influence on the problem.

#19 · (Edited)
That's what I thought, but the code correlates with low gas. That doesn't relate to the MAF at all. Also, as far as I know the MAF is only for MAF and IAT. The barometer is in the DME I though.

This code is kind of a mystery for all cars, not just my BMW. I can't find where anyone has solved it on any car. People have replaced their electronics (barometer, MAF, etc) and vacuum lines and still got the code later. This makes me think it's an extremely general code. I did find a description of the code that suggests one of two things. Either the barometer is bad (like you suggest) or the car is detecting an unacceptable difference b/w the main MAF sensor reading, and another down the line. The SAP has another MAF sensor on it, so that could have something to do with it. That would indicate either a vacuum leak or a bad MAF (either one). Unfortunately, the fact that the code only appears with low fuel suggests other things.

#21 · (Edited)
There should be a barometer and an intake manifold pressure sensor. The MAF sensor needs that information (intake pressure at least) to determine the actual MAF. It basically reads the velocity of the passing air and then the DME uses the known parameters of intake flow area, air pressure and temperature (used to determine density) to calculate the mass flow rate.

Mass rate = density(the hard one to determine) * velocity * area

So there are three measurements you have to make to get MAF. That is IAT, IAP, and flow velocity.

#28 ·
It last appeared about a month ago. I had gotten a pattern of getting the light to turn on after going out to lunch and going at about 80% throttle down an exit ramp. About 3 minutes after that, it would turn on for a day or two. I have done that several times since and it hasn't occurred though. It seems like it vaguely correlates to turning on after filling up a low tank of gas.

Also, you realize it's going to turn on on my drive home today because of you. I'm driving straight to KC to poke you in the eye.

#29 ·
I hate to bring back a super old thread, but this code popped on my car maybe about a week ago.
I've cleaned the MAF, changed the air filter, and check as best I could for leaks in all the hoses.
The code, for me, seems to come on on long drives, and the car runs as it should.
I'm starting to think that maybe the air readings aren't static between two systems? I just don't know which. Bark sensor and ICV?

#35 · (Edited)
Go by Chic-Fil-A on Sunday and see what happens. :rofl:

Since your original post was made, I believe it has been determined that the DME has a Baro Sensor on board that can be replaced.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1063394&highlight=baro

Mouser Electronics may still have these available.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...115A6U/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt7FrWooXVB11uY3luT3%2bWI

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMvhQj7WZhFIALpLlyV3lh9L46RI4GJlexs=

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMvhQj7WZhFIALpLlyV3lh9Lm29FPoDvH5c=

#36 ·
I have subjected my car to double blind chic fil a tests at three locations. It's only associated with one :p haha

I forgot about that barometer thread. Looks like I decided to say fuck it and not solder. I almost want to do it to see if it works so we can know! But what if I fuck up?!? How much is a new DME?

#37 ·
Ship it to Terra Phantom or Scott at www.bmwgm5.com

Or see if you can find a decent electronic repair shop locally.

Got to start with getting the part.

You will have some down time.

#38 ·
Ship it to Terra Phantom or Scott at www.bmwgm5.com

Or see if you can find a decent electronic repair shop locally.

Got to start with getting the part.

You will have some down time.

It's a DD so that's a no go. If I do it, it will be my doing. We have a hot air rework station at work I just don't know how to use it yet. I'll bring some old electronics in this week and practice.

#40 · (Edited)
It's probably leadless. The auto industry pushed lead free hard pretty long ago.

I also have some iron attachments that heat the whole footprint of certain surface mount components. We may have one that fits.

Also as I said I have to do the job. The guy who does this would never forgive himself for breaking my DME even if I told him many times I'm assuming responsibility. Plus he's a very busy guy (prototypes and continuous improvement on the floor).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.