E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Pic request: SLAMMED e46's

1M views 2K replies 409 participants last post by  rguti153 
#1 · (Edited)
On bags or whatever, just have to be pretty much stock styling or really clean with nice rims, but keyword is SLAMMED

#1,021 ·
I have fully cut fenders with a slight flair and have 11.5s in the rear and was 1 3/8" to my frame off the ground static rubbing every second to the point I chipped all the paint off my fenders from rubbing and front bumper from flexing and scraping. Im now driving even lower but on bags so I can get into my driveway and parking lot at work. And if you think bags aren't good performers you can guess again.. They outperform my KW v2s in almost every way. I bought the AirRex struts because they have full damper adjustment along with rebound. And came with camber plates... These are meant for performing. The bags are on threaded bodies so I can wind them down and ride low while still maintaining decent air pressure in them to remain stiff enough..

#1,022 ·
I never said quality air struts won't handle well, I only said about their stiffness. There is no way an airbag would be stiff enough to keep my wheels off my fenders at the low pressure it'd take to be at my desired ride height. I currently have 800# rear springs and they struggle to keep wheel off my flared fender. I've been in and driven cars with air, bags are stiff as coils at reasonable height, but once you are getting low then they loose all stiffness.

Personally I think the air vs static argument is stupid. It's all in what you want/need for your car to get the desired stance. They both have their pros and cons you just have to weigh them out.

#1,023 ·
Get new wheels! Haha joking

Ya I know what you mean completely... I have had slammed static cars for years and always hated air because of the poor ride quality and not being able to ride low enough.. And that was from riding in my friends cars that have been on air for years.. But my only point was that air struts aren't like they used to be, technology is coming along and making them leaps an bounds above what they were. My Airrex struts can run a small spring (any rate you want) underneath the bag on the thread strut bodies, so then when you air out completely you are basically on a coilover setup with spring and dampening adjustable struts.

I'm not trying to argue at all! And not trying to force my opinions, especially since I still had my sticker saying "bags are for ****" on my car until a couple weeks ago haha.. Just trying to shine some light on the new products and technology out there these days for us who want to drive on the ground all day and still be functional.

#1,029 ·
that's a good point, but that's why you have to play around with it. with the springrate i have, i can still lift the car another ~5" up front and ~7" in rear, which is plenty enough to get over the majority of speed bumps in my area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.