E46 Fanatics Forum banner
734K views 6K replies 680 participants last post by  LivesNearCostco 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been debating doing this for a while now. And, I'm kind of tired of the "I hate cops" threads. Have you ever wondered why a cop gave you the ticket rather than someone else? Is this mod or that mod legal? What would a cop do if he saw this or that happen on the road? As many of you know, or have been able to figure out, I'm an Officer with the California Highway Patrol (It is, therefore, my primary job to give tickets, take drunks to jail, and write-up accident reports). I've been doing the job for about three years, which doesn't make me an expert. I figure that it would be nice to allow you guys to "pick me brains" on stuff. I'd like to be able to answer questions that you guys have about certain situations, and what not.

Keep in mind that some of these answers are MY opinion, not those of the department, or even other Officers. Even if you do what I suggest, you might still get a ticket, or go to jail. There will have to be rules, though. Here they are:

Main rules are these --

1) RESPECT -- I'm not going to put on my flame suit, anyone that's going to post in this thread SHALL be respectful to me, and other Officers. Anyone who is not, won't get a reply. Call anyone with a shiny piece of metal on their chest a "Pig", and you won't get a reply.
2) HONESTY -- Be honest about what happened, and how you reacted. What you, and the Officer said.
3) BE NICE -- Not following this is the most important. Foul language SHALL be kept to a minimum! If you can't express your anger without first calming down and using adult words, then I have no room for you in my life.

Others are things along these lines --

1) Questions about Vehicle Code SHALL be in regards to California laws only! I don't work in other states, and therefore have no knowledge of their laws. If you bring up a law in another state, you have to post the law in question. Even then, I would only have limited knowledge in regards to it.
2) You can ask me what I would do in a given situation, but don't expect other Officers to do the same.
3) Other Officers can post replies to questions, but everyone SHALL follow the two primary rules.
4) I enforce the law, I don't write the law. If you have a problem with how a law is written, this isn't the place to air your concern.
5) After I turn the ticket in, I have limited knowledge on how to deal with it. My knowledge is limited to what I have encountered in my own experiences with getting tickets (yes, I do get them from time to time).

Questions about the CHP might be able to be answered on the Departments website www.chp.ca.gov

With all this in mind, let's see how this thread goes. I'll try to answer questions as best, and as quickly as I can. I don't have the ability to spend hours upon hours each day on these forums, so I might not be able to answer things right away.

See less See more
#2,097 ·
Q: I was talking to some of my friends about racing harnesses. Most of them say that racing harnesses are basically overall street illegal in california, but I have a couple of them who have said that certain harnesses, such as one of the Schroth series which are FIA approved are street legal? Can you confirm? Thanks!

#2,102 ·
Batons are restricted for law enforcement use/carrying in public or in your vehicle in CA. A bat is considered a baton if its in your car or on your person and you don't have a legitimate reason for carrying it (i.e., on the way to play baseball). All of these should be found in 12020 P.C. where basically all illegal weapons are noted

#2,103 · (Edited)
Alright, so i got a ticket turning right on red coming up PCH in Malibu near the Pepperdine Campus....

Apparently there are 3 signs there saying no right on red and they are only one month old. Three questions:1. What kinda absurd fine should i be expecting to pay for a no right on red? 2. Any thoughts on what I should do? 3. Is there a way to keep this from making my insurance go up?

BTW: Just cause I drive a BMW doesnt mean I can afford it. Student loans exceeding $80000 and my parents with $250,000 in debt.... I hate cops and people who tell me that since I drive it I should afford it....

#2,105 ·
That's my old patrol area...

First off...Traffic controls and signs are always put in to address a safety or qaulity of life issue, so that's why the sign is probably there. Cops obviously are hired by a city and told what types of things to focus on, so that's why he was there. Its a pretty simple equation, and the fact that you chose to disobey posted signs (either by accident or on purpose), but seem mad at the cop because of your error is a little unreasonable.

If this cop told you that you should be able to afford it because you drive a BMW, that's unprofessional and isn't something I support. In fact, people in nicer cars often feel they are being targeted, but you should drive by my station parking lot one day and see that many of the deputies have nicer cars then those they are pulling over. Usually, the fact that we pull over nice cars or crappy cars most often is a byproduct of the area you patrol and the concentration or lack of wealth there.

To address your questions...1.probably a lot. I'm guessing between $250-300, but we have a resident fine calculator who will probably chime in and give you a more accurate answer. 2.Nothing to do but pay the fine and go for traffic school. You can try to go to court and fight it, but if the cop shows up, you're toast and you may not get to go to traffic school. 3.Go to traffic school to avoid any impact on your insurance.

Tickets suck, I try not to hand out too many of them, but I guarantee, you'll watch the signs a little closer now..

#2,107 ·
I have a question, not really for cops but it would involve your crazy supercomputers.

I recently got an insurance quote and the ins company says I have an at fault with injury accident on my record, but guess what, it never happened. I got a copy of my driving record from the DMV, and sure enough the accident is there, but the only info that I have on it is an FR Case No. I tried to get some more info on the case by calling my local sherriffs station, who told me to call the local court house, and ask someone in the public records office, noone could find anything.

I was hoping that one of the cops here could look into it for me and help me sort it out.

The info I have is as follows:

04-06-05 99 Laguna Hills , this is the case #: 05-03-23911

And thats it, so please help me!!!!

#2,108 ·
Unfortunately, the file/report would only be with the agency that took the report. I would call all applicable agencies and see if you can figure out who took it (i.e. CHP, Laguna Beach PD, Orange County Sheriffs Dept, etc). All I would see in my computer would be that you have an at fault accident, I wouldn't be able to access the report or any details. That goes for any cops other than where the report was taken.

Good luck

#2,112 ·
say you see me going a little fast and hit a turn at 12:30am with the tail on the verge to come out, but I keep it under control, no tire noise, I immediately notice you behind me and slow down 1-2mph below the speedlimit.

You pull me over and I'm dead quiet, and just hand you my drivers license, you ask me "do you know how fast you were going?" I respond "As far as I know I was driving the speed limit" You ask me "are you calling me a liar?" and procede to question me for the next 10 minutes and ask if I've been drinking numerous times, and all I said was no once, would you have given me a ticket, or stalked me for the next 4 days.

Was followed by cops for the next 4 days after I got pulled over that one time with no ticket.

#2,113 ·
Every cop is different as is every agency. Hard to make the call. If you live in a small town and you somehow pissed off one guy who told all his buddies, maybe that's why they were paying particular attention to you, otherwise it seems pretty unlikely that people would take the time or effort to follow you around, especially if they didn't hit you with further citations or anything. Perhaps the cops just happened to be around a lot on the route you take?? Seems pretty far fetched that anyone would take the time to follow you for 4 the next 4 days. If that guy was really that pissed the first day, he would have cited you.

To go a little further, most departments work 4 10 hour shifts or 3 12 hour shifts per week, so by day 4 or day 5, it would be a whole new shift of people making your contention even more far fetched...

#2,115 ·
say you see me going a little fast and hit a turn at 12:30am with the tail on the verge to come out, but I keep it under control, no tire noise............

I'm no cop but just from knowing most officers can gauge/estimate speed by sight, coming close to getting your car's tail out would indicate you were going over the speed limit.

But then again, you could be driving the speed limit at the apex of the turn/curve then you snap the steering wheel, you could probably get that tail to snap......like starting a drift manuever.

#2,117 ·
You could be driving the speed limit and still get cited... the CA basic speed law says you need to drive at a speed safe for the conditions regardless of the posted speed limit (although that is a factor too), so you're right, losing traction indicates that someone was violating the CA basic speed law (22350 cvc)

#2,121 ·
hey guys another question bout my fixit for smoked tails. the e46 tail lights are made up of 4 pieces right, the 2 outer brake lights and the 2 inner reverse lights. well since the inner reverse lights don't light up where the smoked part is, legally do i have to replace those also? i know the car would look stupid with half red/half smoked lights, but would it pass the sign-off? thanks for the help :)
Jeff

#2,123 ·
I would think that you would be ok, but I guess it depends on who signs you off or where you go to get signed off. If you live in my station area, I can check out the car and sign it off if I'm satisfied.

#2,136 ·
what's your screen name?

#2,137 ·
Question: *eehhmm* Somone I *know* has clear front turn/fender lights with CLEAR bulbs.

Meaning when they flash, they flash a white light (but in a way it looks kind of amber. IMO no one would be able to notice unless they were purposely looking for it.)

What would you do on the spot?

Would you give me a ticket or a warning?

Thanks.

#2,143 ·
Wow, I'm gonna be honest here: I used to dislike cops, but I can really just see they are doing what they are supposed to. Reading this thread/posts, you have changed my whole mindset about the police. :)

One more question: Do you get paid by commision or just for being out there?

If so, how many tickets do you have to give? (If it even works like that at all)

#2,148 ·
I'll make this brief since many of you have read about this in the OT already. I got a DUI in Placer County (Close to Sac) about a month ago. Blew a .09 at the stop and I request they draw blood.

I hired an attorney for the case, guy is supposed to be the best. He was about 3x as much as the rest of the attorney's I have interviewed and done nothing but DUI cases for 15+ years.

What are the chances he will be able to work something out with the court?

- This is my first DUI (god knows my LAST )

- It was my first time EVER being arrested (again, a last time as well)

- Does my driving record have an impact on the outcome of this? I have a few (and by few I mean approx. 4) speeding tickets

Anything I should know?

#2,149 ·
What are the chances he will be able to work something out with the court?
He may be able to work out a plea bargain. However, if he is THAT good, then he should be able to find some kind of loophole for you. If you're going to go for a plea, then you should've saved your money and just used a public defender.

#2,154 ·
This has been discussed a couple of times on this thread. There is no quota and there is no rush at the end of the month to make up for lost time. Just like with every other job out there, you are being paid to do a specific task. In the case of police, we're there to answer calls for service, arrest people when necessary and cite drivers violating vehicle codes. I need to show my supervisors that I'm doing what I'm paid to do and that I'm being productive. It's no different than in any other profession. If I'm not productive, my bosses will ask why, and it will effect how I promote. So there is no quota at all, but you better be able to show your supervisors that when you're on duty, you're doing your job.

#2,152 ·
curfew

How many offer's pull over some one if they suspect them to be out past curfew? I don't always try to be out past curfew, but if it's just me going from one place to another, driving like a normal person(at the speed limit, obeying all road signs) what is the big deal in it? During the summer coming home at 11 get's really old and my stepdad freaks if i'm even a few minutes late. what's your take on curfew's? Do you think most officer's really care as long as you arnt walking around causing mischief?
Thanks!
Matt

#2,155 ·
How many offer's pull over some one if they suspect them to be out past curfew? I don't always try to be out past curfew, but if it's just me going from one place to another, driving like a normal person(at the speed limit, obeying all road signs) what is the big deal in it? During the summer coming home at 11 get's really old and my stepdad freaks if i'm even a few minutes late. what's your take on curfew's? Do you think most officer's really care as long as you arnt walking around causing mischief?
Thanks!
Matt
I personally haven't ever been concerned about curfew and probably wouldn't be unless the minor is loitering or causing some other trouble...

#2,158 ·
Hey guys,
I was just cruising the forum and came up on this thread, possibly one of the greatest idea's i've seen, and had a simple question ive been wondering about for some while...

I have been pulled over and ticketed twice in my years of driving and both times i have been more than positive that i was going roughly 80-85 in a 65 (admitting to actually speeding) the first time i was pulled over, though im positive i was not going over 85 as the first thing i did was look down at my speedo even before breaking. the officer told me he had me going 96 and was following me for sometime, i figured maybe i was mistaken and he had me going 96 somehow i was unaware of. however the second time i was driving my girlfriend down to cal poly on 101 and on cruise control set at about 83 mph. i was pulled over by the officer just north of SLO and the officer again told me that i was going 96. This time i was positive that i was not going 96 infact my girlfriend even chimed in saying i was on cruise control at 83 :banghead: i was younger and afraid of asking to see the radar but to this day i wish i would have, not that i would have got out of the ticket but for peace of mind.

I was just curious to ask if when officers see a younger kid driving and speeding, if they try to intimidate him or exgerrate speeds hoping that the kid does not know his right to see the radar (because both tiems they agreed to 80 as the written speed on the ticket)? and if i were to ask to see the radar would that only irritate the officer all though it is my right? isnt it? Also im driving back down to cal poly tomorrow evening any speed traps i should know about:)

#2,159 ·
Hey guys,

I was just curious to ask if when officers see a younger kid driving and speeding, if they try to intimidate him or exgerrate speeds hoping that the kid does not know his right to see the radar (because both tiems they agreed to 80 as the written speed on the ticket)? and if i were to ask to see the radar would that only irritate the officer all though it is my right? isnt it? Also im driving back down to cal poly tomorrow evening any speed traps i should know about:)
I at times may throw an extra MPH or two on there for effect when I'm talking to the person, then write something much lower on the cite (assuming I cite them at all). I like to use large round numbers and the word "over" a lot... "you know I paced you for 1/2 mile at OVER 60 mph" (I work the city only, so no freeways).

You can ask to see the radar, but I've never understood that. The reality is that the radar doesn't take a picture of your car. Theoretically, the officer/deputy could put the radar on "lock" or "hold" when they've got someone going 100, and just use that same 100 mph on display the rest of the day! As for your right to see the radar, not sure that exisits..I might just invoke my right to not show it to you if I don't want to!

#2,161 ·
wait i thought you could get teh flu from the flu shot. isn't the flu shot the flu but a smaller amount so your body could like build up against it? lol.

anyways back ON topic....

so i highly doubt you guys remembering, but i got a ticket for code 22107 (No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.) a couple of months ago.

so i got the letter in the mail and i found out that they name on my ticket is wrong, my age stated on the ticket is wrong, and the diagram is wrong. i'm pretty sure that isn't grounds enough to get the ticket dismissed( or is it?). i'm planning to also make a defense that i did use my turn signal with appropriate space and stuff like that.

thing is that it will be my first ticket ever, and i was wondering if it is worth trying to fight since it won't go on my record if i just go to traffic school.

any thoughts if it is worth it?

#2,173 ·
yea i'd like to buy myself a cop detector too.

if the cops are not scanning, you wont see it. In la jolla, where theres plenty of rich old people, they are not going to be too concerned about speeding.

On UCSD campus i've seen a few people pulled over at night, last finals days, etc.

I got a ticket once for euro plate and the officer said he thought i was going too fast in a parking lot :rolleyes: but atleast it was just a fix it 10$ ticket.

#2,166 ·
Why? What happened?

#2,165 ·
Hey guys, i just wanted to start off saying thank you to the contributers of this thread...ive been reading this on and off from the beginning and its been extremely informational.

I do have a situation that you may be able to shed some light on. My little brother (16) has had his license for about 5 months now and he recently was cited for a "dangerous maneuver" while have his girlfriend it the car. (Not to smart) So the officier wrote him for both the dangeous manuever as well as breaking the 1 year rule of not driving anyone. My question is what are his odds of getting his license taken away, and if so, for how long. I know its at the digression of the judge, but from your knowledge, what do u think?

#2,170 ·
okay. im 16 and i got my license on my 16th bday..aug 20. and i do illegal stuff...go 90..speed alot..drive my friends..drive dangerously..

so if i get caught..how long can my license get taken away for??

im kinda scared.. i really dont wanna get caught doing these things..ive had my license for about 2 monthes..i dont wanna risk it..

help pleasse...thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.