E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Yet Another Square ZHP Thread – 8" or 8.5"?

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Project330i 
#1 ·
I've done a good bit of reading up on the understeer-inducing tendency of my stock ZHP's staggered wheels. With my car needing four new summer tires, now seems to be the perfect opportunity to try out something other than the OEM staggered Pilot Sport setup!

Now, while I haven't taken my ZHP to the autoX track – YET – I do enjoy navigating on/off ramps, roundabouts, & general corners in a spirited (not reckless!) manner & would like to emphasize the E46's inherent 50/50 handling characteristics as best I can. That said, the general consensus seems to be that if you want your ZHP to be more neutral in corners, go square. With an additional interest in being frugal with my ZHP's tires, going with a square setup also seems to be beneficial by allowing four-corner rotation & less-expensive tire options (assuming I don't buy four 255s!).

That advice seems to leave me with three options:
- 1. Buy a square set of tires for my stock (staggered) wheels.
- 2. Get a pair of 8.5" 135Ms to replace the 8" fronts.
- 3. Get a pair of 8" 135Ms to replace the 8.5" rears.

I have corresponding concerns for each of the above options:
- 1. What single size of tire will not look goofy/weird/wrong/stretched on both an 8" & 8.5" wheel? The stock 255 looks perfect (IMHO) on the 8.5" & the 225 looks a little small for the 8". (Is there a consensus on what size looks best on an 8" 135M?) Will a 255 be too big for the 8"?
- 2. I've seen a couple pictures of this setup & it seems like a 255-wrapped 8.5" is a bit too big, if at least visually; what about rubbing on the wheel well at full turn? (I have a fully stock suspension.) Anyone have clear pictures of a stock ZHP 8.5" on the front?
- 3. The option I'm most leaning to, with one major concern: does an 8" wheel/tire look too thin at the tail of a ZHP? Is the offset such that it looks noticeably "tucked in"? Anyone have clear pictures of this setup?

In general, I'd like the community's opinion on which of these three options is "The Best"(TM). And if anyone is also in my situation & would want to swap an 8" pair for an 8.5" pair or vice versa, let me know!

See less See more
#5 ·
Be careful what you ask for. You may think you want more neutral handling but understeer is easier to control vrs oversteer. You are not driving laps on a closed course. On the street, understeer is good for safety purposes.

But, I would go with 8.5" square. Most OEM wheels are about 25 lbs ea unless you get the expensive BMW performance wheels which are apparently a little lighter.

#7 ·
Be careful what you ask for. You may think you want more neutral handling but understeer is easier to control vrs oversteer. You are not driving laps on a closed course. On the street, understeer is good for safety purposes.
I'm well aware of the differences in handling over- vs understeer, as well as car manufacturer's preference to set up their cars from the factory with a lowest-common-denominator-serving "safe" suspension tune. I can handle a bit more oversteer (at least the little bit a square setup will provide).

But, I would go with 8.5" square.
Why would you go with 8.5"? I'm just curious to hear pros/cons for either setup.

#11 ·
Do you not have any issues with rubbing on 255's in the front? I am looking at getting a set of wheels and might go with a square setup as long as i can run bigger wheels and not sacrifice rubber in the rear. PS all you need to fix alot of the understeer in the ZHP is a LS in the back. I have mine and love it!

#12 ·
A limited slip differential in no way fixes factory understeer. Some limited slip differentials like a Torsen/Quaife will actually increase understeer.

You are mistaking over/under/neutral steer with power oversteer which is a different an unrelated aspect when talking about neutrality of handling.

And no, I don't rub at all with my Direzza Z1* 255's on all 4 corners with those wheels (even on the track)

#15 ·
i have a set of SSR GT2's that are perfect for non-M square setup
18x9 et45. you could even run 265/35 all around with a 3mm spacer up front

#18 ·
So SpeedDemon you're running 255/35/18 on your street setup,right?I have those D-forcer empower wheels,i was thinking about a pair of 265/35 in the rear.Do you think they'll fit in there w/o rubbing since i have a sedan?What about a square like yours or 245/35/18 all around?

#21 ·
go with the LTW's... they're veryyy light and for 18x9 squared for $1250 at Turner Motorsports you can't go wrong. Run 255 and you're good to go... turn in is going to be aggressive though... so take it to an empty parking lot and get used to the new handling characteristics dry and wet....

GL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.