E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW E46 Key Fob Destroyed (Funny Story) -- What to do?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kotis22 
#1 ·
To keep the story short...I get home from Seattle and I am welcomed with finding out that my dad has lost my keys. He had to move my car while I was gone so after looking inside the house, he starts looking outside. This is about the time I realize this will not end well. We look all around my street and my dad ends up finding the keys on not my street but the main hill connecting my street. He says "Good news and bad news" good news is that he found them, bad news is that, well they look like this...

:facepalm:

So after my cool story (sorry guys) my question is how do I go about this, I have no backup fobs or keys. Please help, thanks.

P.S. I just thought the whole situation was quite ironic considering today is Father's day lol. So much love to all those dads everywhere, even if you destroy your son's BMW Keys =)

See less See more
#4 ·
I think the fobbed key is around $150-200.

Did you try taking all the pieces to your car and seeing if that key still works? I'm sure it'd get you into the car, at least, and it may be that the chip is still intact...unlikely, but one never knows!

BTW, one great idea I read here is to attach the key behind the license plate on one of the screws holding the plate on--no more 'locked out of car'!

#5 ·
Thanks I'm gonna call BMW today and see what's going to happen now. I'm pretty sure the key doesn't start the car even with all the pieces by the ignition lol...

For the license plate idea, that sounds neat but what if everyone starts checking behind license plates? =P

#6 ·
Is the key circuitry reusable? (do the buttons still work?? You could potentially get a new casing for dirt cheap with a blank key and get it cut. Will probably run $10 for the key and $25 to get it cut. The key should still turn the car over, just put the transponder next to the metal of the key. You won't know unless you try.

#7 ·
Have you tried starting the car?

Pretty sure it will still start the car and you can drive it for now.

But you should call http://bmwpartssource.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=216042 and ask them how much a new key is. If my memory serves me right its about $150 for a key, call them and ask. Most likely you'll have to send them your key so they can make a copy from it.

When you do get the key , you;ll have to synchronize it with the car. When you get it I'll post how to do it

#9 ·
Hey sorry I was busy all day yesterday for Father's day...but yeah I already tried starting the car and it doesn't work because the chip is broken. The key itself does let me into the car and it fits in the ignition but the engine doesn't turn. And yes I tried placing the chip close to the ignition and it still doesn't work. So I guess I am just calling BMW Parts today and ordering a new one =)

Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.