E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SoCal guys, what % tint?

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  00-BMW-328i 
#1 · (Edited)
Not to sound like a broken record or anything but I did search and it only came up with universal recommendations. My car is light silver with a medium gray interior, I was thinking about doing 35 up front and 20/15 in the rear. Then I see people complaining about how light 35% is and them wishing they went for 20%. So I am absolutely lost. Depending on the area SoCal , cops can be dicks. So lend me your opinions fanatics. :bow:

#8 ·
That's one main reason I think. It should appear to be darker.

#7 ·
honesly i would say just go 35 percent.. it still looks clean on ur car.. but i got pulled over from some old tint that was on the car.. basically u could see my skin color through the tint and i got a ticket.. i was like DOUCHE!.. so just be safe is all im saying.

#9 ·
Find a shop you want to get your car tinted at. When you're there take a look around, they usually have a small sample square window laying around that you can pick up and hold next to your car and see which you like best. I

#10 ·
ive had 3 silver cars now, all with black interior and 35% tint all around with i think 10% in the rear window. i found it to be perfect for Cali driving. it looked just the right amount of dark in the sunlight for a silver car, while not being too dark at night. i would go 35%

#12 ·
Honestly I think I've come to conclusion that if I were to do it all over again, I would get 20% in front and rears. There's not much point into making your front look a little lighter when your windows are already 35-20% dark. I think the clean look of the same tint all around is what really looks good, no matter what interior.
So it comes down to your preference, do you want it darker or not. I have a coupe and my front windows always appear lighter than the rear even though they are supposedly 30%, idk if that's because of their significant size in comparison, or the light let in through the windshield, or maybe its just the different type of tint material used. ANYWAY, I digress, go with the same percentage, go with the same type of tint, and take into consideration that it will be really dark at night (I have a hard time seeing out my rear window). In the end, if you do get pulled over just for tint, which I don't think that happens much unless you are being a complete idiot and the cop is being a complete douche, the fix it ticket is like 30 bucks and most tint places will take off the same tint they installed for free. Sorry this message ended up being a lot longer than expected. I guess I have a tint story...let me know what you decide haha.

#14 ·
I think I'm going to do 20% all around. Thanks again people :hi:

#23 ·
Window Tint

Hi drift, IMO you should check first the current tint law in your area to help you decide for the allowed tint %, it is available at http://www.TintBuyer.com. They also give information about window tints like its types, quotations and will help locate the best professional tint installer near your area. I also consulted with them recently for my tinting needs and I'm really impressed with the results. I hope this helps :idea:

#24 ·
^ idk bout checking the tint law and all that really dosent matter i have limo all around on my car and i havent been bothered by the cops at all..i say u go limo all around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.