E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Wavetrac LSD Available for E46 Non-M

45K views 103 replies 53 participants last post by  nutnut 
#1 · (Edited)
I was browsing and searching over the net and spotted this for $1219

I've read a couple of (very good) reviews but all of them come from the Japanese car market. Anybody with E46 + Wavetrac experience? I was under the impression that this LSD is for E90/92 market but it appears that it's for E46 as well. :woot:

See less See more
#47 · (Edited)
yup, put mine in last April; works perfect. No noise whatsoever and really helps put the power down. It's also got a lifetime warranty!

I've never felt a quaife so I can't comment on the compairison.

Anuk, I haven't seen them sell anything for M3 spec; but eitherway this is only the internal unit - doesn't include the gearset. I don't think I've seen anyone run a 3.15-3.23 gearset in an M3 diff... generally people go up to a 3.91 or 4.10 if anything

#45 ·
Do they have anything for M3 spec diffs? I'm running a stock 3.62 LSD on my 330, but my build could massively benefit from a customized 3.15-3.23 ratio M3-spec diff.

#60 ·
With the TS2, you're gonna love the LSD! That car will dance through corners ;)

#63 · (Edited)
The finned differential cover helps with heat dissipation. If you plan on tracking your car or just drive it very aggressively anyways, it's a worthy investment to prolong the life of your unit. Oh, and it looks badass from behind :D

#66 ·
Differential/subframe mount bushings all replaced with genuine BMW. I don't like poly or solid versions due to increased noise, vibrations. I will order the LSD as soon as I verify that the part is indeed the correct one, and order any additional parts that may be required, hence asking about seals etc. Realoem lists my car as having a 3.38 diff. Is this marked anywhere on the actual differential? Just in case the previous owner replaced it for some reason

#68 ·
As a part number, on realoem, the 3.38 is listed only for the 320, no idea why not on any other models. Still I need to confirm it from somewhere on the actual diff.

For the wavetrac, there are 2 different parts for the E46 non-m, with >3.15 ratio and <3.15.

Wavetrac Differential BMW 188K AXLE r=3.15>

Text Font Line Map Diagram

#70 · (Edited)
Thanks, but I already have the 3.38. I asked about the compatibility with my car and I'm having some issues with the supplier, getting them to understand what I have.

Question 1
Hi, do you have the LSD for the BMW E46 with a 3.38 ratio? I would like to know price and availability of 1 unit, with shipping to Cyprus if possible!

Basically this unit:http://www.autotech.com/product/wavetrac-differentials/30-309-176WK.html?fromcat= but for a 3.38 ratio

Many thanks,
Paris
Paris, what year and model is your car and with what motor in the vehicle, and is the car manual or automatic transmission? Is the 3.38 ratio what you have currently installed from the factory or is it a new ratio that you plan to have installed? With that information I'm sure we can verify which differential would be correct for your car, thanks!

Regards,

Autotech Sales Staff
Me
Hi,

Car is a 2001 BMW E46 320ci. It has the M54B22 engine with 5-Speed gearbox. The 3.38 ratio is the factory installed and comes as standard for the 2.2L engine / manual transmission.

Thanks!
Final reply
Paris, it is difficult to determine from the information available to us about the offset of your existing differential to see which one of our Wavetracs would fit--the only difference between the .175WK and the .176WK is the offset of the flange where the final drive would bolt up. That particular motor/final drive combination is not one we have here in North America, so without having the rear end or the stock diff here to examine, it is difficult to say with 100% certainty if your car would accept one or the other.

If you happen to have access to a spare factory differential or rear end identical to your car we may be able to determine which one would fit your car, but other then that it's almost a 50/50 chance of one diff or the other fitting your car. Thanks for that information, sorry it didn't completely solve the question it hand!

Regards,

Autotech Sales Staff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.