E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info......D99 (new for 2012)

409K views 922 replies 208 participants last post by  325TI_Compact 
#1 · (Edited)
Code:
Dynavin D99

Here we go.... Just like the threads I started in the past, Im starting an official Dynavin D99 thread since these new units are now out and shipping. Ill be adding to and filling out this post over the next few days and weeks.

This thread is for D99 questions and info only. In order to keep info clear and accessible for future readers PLEASE try to keep opinions, speculations, and other unrelated discussion out of this thread.

If you have a question or concern that does not relate to the new D99 units please search or post in one of the existing Dynavin threads.

Dynavin D95 (V6) thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753
Android Development thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=892583
D99 Pre-release speculation thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=886222

New for 2012 Dynavin has released the D99 Navigation system for selected BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW cars. This unit will compliment their existing D95 units as a higher end model. While some things are carry over from the the D95 units, the new D99 will offer some features that have not previously been available from Dynavin. They have teamed with Parrot for the bluetooth system, have added an interface with the cars OBC, and have added Park Distance sensor support for cars so equipped.

The Android/WinCE "navigation side" of the units is unchanged.

Now for the good stuff....(will be adding content, for now here is a video of a D99 WinCE unit in action)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2S2iBKPwFQ&list=UU6rH4vNH5VlWKqz6sbnPhag&index=1&feature=plcp

Whats in the Box

USB Extension
ipod cable
bluetooth mic
wire harness
RCA input harness
RCA output harness
Remote
Antenna adapters
ibus interface box
gps antenna

Pretty much the same as the D95s, everything you need for a basic install. As before, cars with oem Nav require the "fakra cable kit" to extend all of the connections to the trunk as nav cars radios are actually in the trunk.

Source Selection Home Screen

There are two screens here, you can "swipe" the screen back and forth, the (probably) most common sources (radio, ipod, phone, etc) are on page one with the less common sources (USB, TV, etc) on page 2. You can also access the settings from here. I like the large clear buttons, it makes finding a source while driving quite a bit easier.

Settings Screen

As in the past the Dynavin has a fairly simple audio feature set, no fancy 32 band EQs or time alignment here....similar to stock, bass, treble, fader, balance. It does have a separate sub level control for the subwoofer RCA outputs for those running aftermarket subs.

One thing to point out in these menus as it is often missed.... the "DIM" function affects how the screen dims for night driving, you active this by HOLDING down the MUTE button, changing the DIM setting makes the screen dim or shut off completely depending on your preference.

Radio

The new radio interface is all big, clear, easy to press, touch screen buttons. The white text on a black background is also good for visibility. The radio can be configured to tune in US, Euro, or Asian frequencies. Pretty much works as expected.

Bluetooth

Dynavin has teamed with Parrot on the bluetooth. This adds phonebook functionality to the unit. It paired with my iphone within seconds and my phonbook was there and ready to use a few seconds after that, no need to do anything extra, it was just there. There is a keyboard for alphabetical search, you just start to type and once you are a few letters in you should see the contact that you are looking for. As far as quality goes, that is up to your mic location, your phone, your voice, how loud your car is, and a bunch of other variables. I personally had pretty good results putting the mic in the factory location but your results may vary.

Bluetooth streaming works as it has on previous dynavin units, although now with a slightly better layout of play/stop/track controls.

Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.

iPod

The ipod interface is an improvement over past dynavin versions but isnt perfect. It DOES have the ipod resume feature missing in the older units. So when you start your car, the ipod will start where you left off. As you can see in the video and pic above there are page forward and back buttons, and the menu button goes back a level. Holding down the menu button jumps back to the playlist/artist/album/etc... screen. While you can page forward and back there is no "alphabetical" search so if you have A LOT of artists it could be problematic, I have a couple hundred on my ipod and it isnt a problem but I can imagine it would get tedious if you had a thousand... If this is a problem for you consider getting an android unit and use the android media player and a SD card for you music instead as it DOES allow for more rapid scrolling.....

CD/DVD

SD/USB

The CD player and SD/USB digital interface are carry over from the D95 units and just like in the D95 they are cosmetically different than the other sources. That said, the SD/USB does require a different type of interface as it is folder dependent. I havent tested it yet to see if it has any limitations in levels of folder navigation, number of files etc...

Navigation WinCE

This is a screen shot of a WinCE unit running the Sygic Drive navigation program (a licensed copy comes with the units we sell but this may vary by dealer). The WinCE units will run any number of WinCE compatible nav programs, iGo Primo is a popular one here among the forum members, there are other threads dedicated to those other programs.

Navigation Android

The Nav setup on an android unit is totally different......read the original android thread for details, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753 and if you dont you do so at your own risk!

to be continued.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent video, very useful, thanks. Really does show the functionality of the new unit off quite nicely. Real shame they've wasted all that precious space in the iPod interface though, just imagine if there was more space for track info. Still, can't have everything!

Is that a Windows unit?

What are your honest thoughts on it then?

#3 · (Edited)
how did I know you would be first to comment! :D

Yes that is a winCE unit running "Sygic Drive" Nav program.

Ill be filling out the original post with pics and my review of the functions, both good and bad, as I have time over the next few days. I can say that they are a nice improvement over previous years units although very similar to the current D95s in most ways. Mostly its the general refinement that has improved (you can see that in the video), some parts are still a little rough like the digital music browser, but the radio, bluetooth, settings menus, DVD player, and ipod interface all work pretty smooth.

It sounds dumb but I think the biggest improvement is the larger touch screen buttons....its a small change but makes a world of difference in a moving car.

#6 ·
The OBC and PDC connections are through the ibus interface, previously known as the steering wheel control box interface......the connections to the car are not any different although there are now a few more wires in the harness between the interface box and the dynavin.

#8 ·
The harnesses are new so you would just need to swap the unit and the wire harness, the rest of the parts are the same. The only place where this is a problem is if a person had a previous dynavin and was using a Fakra cable (because they had oem nav), since the Fakra IS the wire harness its a problem because swapping it wouldnt be easy. For those people I suggest just cutting the plug off the Fakra and splicing on a new plug, its all color coded so its not rocket science.

For all future readers of this thread who dont understand the previous paragraph.....it doesnt apply to you!

#10 ·
presumably.....but until we see some actually get installed in a PDC car your guess is as good as mine.

#12 ·
I have a D99 (Android) on the way (thanks Jeff) and do have PDC so it hopefully, will automatically default to the appropriate display when reverse is engaged but only time will tell.

I have an RHD e46 with OEM nav and am trying to get my head around the install before everything arrives but want to run a concept past those who are experienced with the Dynavin. My plan is to run two USB extensions into the area below the center arm wrest for each side of the unit. As I will only be using WiFi to connect while at home, my intention is to swap the dongle out when not required and replace it with a Bluetooth one to enable use on the Android side. The other will be used for a USB memory stick which I believe should minimize the use of the front Micro SD slots which from reading some posts, can be mechanically problematic.

Just a few questions:
1. Any perceived problems with the above or a better alternative?
2. What is the difference between the two Micro SD card slots on the front of the unit?
3. Does anyone know of a Bluetooth radar detector?
4. Appreciate any guidance also on an OEM nav install as I can only find one reference and while it is great, my RHD European/Australian configuration in the rear is significantly different.

I would also like to thank all those who have posted information on the Dynavin and while it has taken me a number of days to read the hundreds of related posts, it certainly make me more comfortable purchasing a unit and attempting an install myself.

#11 · (Edited)
Just missed the first DHL delivery attempt today, signed it and should get mine on the doorstop tomorrow! YAY, if someone in the dallas area wants to watch and or assist in installing, I will be doing install soon!

By the way Jeff, Robin Hood animated, way under rated!

#16 · (Edited)
subscribed!

Rick323, im interested in watching/helping out. ive been watching the dynavin threads for a while. Let me know if you have a need for some tools. Or supplies (i have bunch of cable, splice connectors, etc...)

btw, when r u doing the install and do you think you will have it done by the next meetup here in DFW?

Just missed the first DHL delivery attempt today, signed it and should get mine on the doorstop tomorrow! YAY, if someone in the dallas area wants to watch and or assist in installing, I will be doing install soon!

By the way Jeff, Robin Hood animated, way under rated!

#21 ·
Hi Jeff,

I have received my Dynavin D99 Android unit at the end of December last year. I connected it all up but for some reason the steering controls and OBC functionality is not working. I drive a BMW 330CI 2003 model. Have you heard from any other installations where they have issues like this? The Ibus controller that i received with the unit has no writing on it, it just has the connection to the Dynavin cable on the oneside and a mini usb connection on the other.

Any help would be great!

#22 ·
Also interesting questions is if you have PDC and also installed rear view CAM. When switching to rear shift, what will switch PDC or CAM? Because for CAM, we have special wire, so by default it should go to CAM. So it is interesting how PDC function is done in ibus connection.

#23 ·
I believe it is configurable.....so you can have the backup cam video with the PDC sounds....I think....I will need to confirm.

Hi Jeff,

I have received my Dynavin D99 Android unit at the end of December last year. I connected it all up but for some reason the steering controls and OBC functionality is not working. I drive a BMW 330CI 2003 model. Have you heard from any other installations where they have issues like this? The Ibus controller that i received with the unit has no writing on it, it just has the connection to the Dynavin cable on the oneside and a mini usb connection on the other.

Any help would be great!
the first batch of D99 E46 units had an error in the harness that goes to the ibus interface, the white and blue wires are backwards, so swap them and everything should work fine.

Your dealer should have alerted you to this...:tsk:...we fixed every harness we had in stock and emailed instructions on the fix to the few that had already shipped.....

#25 ·
As far as I know the WinCE or Android part of of the unit is unchanged, so I dont think it would be any different. Sygic is a pretty basic program, I dont think it works any better than igo does.

#29 ·
we dont do group buys, they are always a disaster. Big demand an small supply means the price is the price. This is not the forum for sales inquiries though, email me for that. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
Planning on getting the D99 Android soon. But I have a few questions...

I currently have the V3 with Win CE. Its overdue for a upgrade...

• Whats the difference between the WinCE unit and the Android unit besides the software?
  • Does android use the GPS signal or WiFi to navigate?
  • Is there any way we can connect a USB device to Android side of the system for a 3G Wireless router or something?
  • I usually use the USB function of the unit to play all my music. It loads up instatly on the V3 unit. Is there a delay for a 8GB USB Stick on these newer units? If so how long is the boot time?
  • When the reverse cam is on, on the V3, music shuts off.. Does it do this on the newer units like the D99?
  • Can we download apps to Android without using a WiFi Connection? Lets say using a USB stick...
  • You mentioned the Android system has its own sound settings for its apps. Does the Navigation app turn down the volume of the music while giving directions?
  • Last but not least, v3 users had no control on the midrange, subwoofer levels and such? Is this still present on the newer units?

Really excited after watching the videos you put together Jeff... I'm thinking of purchasing 3 of these, two for my e46's and one for my buddy's e46...
:excited:

Thanks in advance for the answers..

#33 ·
The only difference between the Android and CE units is the Operating System on the navigation side of the unit. The Android unit uses GPS to navigate, but as standard uses Google Maps which requires an internet connection to download mapping on the fly. If you install an offline navigation package, you don't need the internet connection all the time.

You cannot, IIRC, use the Market without an internet connection. You can connect a USB device to the Android side - thats how it gets its wireless connectivity.

#34 · (Edited)
You can connect a USB device to the Android side - thats how it gets its wireless connectivity.
You mean some 3G modem? Is it supported? How it will install drivers for it?

Also on E39 device for example there is NAV SD card slot. What is purpose? Only for maps? Because currently on my Alpine device I have GPS module with SD card and IGO navigation is actually on SD card.

#35 ·
Whats the difference between the WinCE unit and the Android unit besides the software?

see the android thread or the FAQ on my website.

Does android use the GPS signal or WiFi to navigate?

Answered above by MaximumWalrus

Is there any way we can connect a USB device to Android side of the system for a 3G Wireless router or something?

I suppose it is possible but I only endorse the wifi route....too many compatibility issues for me to deal with going the usb3G route...

I usually use the USB function of the unit to play all my music. It loads up instatly on the V3 unit. Is there a delay for a 8GB USB Stick on these newer units? If so how long is the boot time?

Havent timed it but not long.....It can be seen in the video in the first post.

When the reverse cam is on, on the V3, music shuts off.. Does it do this on the newer units like the D99?

Same...I think....

Can we download apps to Android without using a WiFi Connection? Lets say using a USB stick...

Yes, you can put the app apk on a usb or sd card and use the android app installer.

You mentioned the Android system has its own sound settings for its apps. Does the Navigation app turn down the volume of the music while giving directions?

Yes, but it depends on the app, works the same way as a phone or tablet, its probably going to work smoother if you are using the android music player as the nav and music programs are programmed to interact well in most cases.

Last but not least, v3 users had no control on the midrange, subwoofer levels and such? Is this still present on the newer units?

No midrange, but it does have a sub level control.