E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Vibration while braking - round 2

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  6spdZHP 
#1 ·
2 weeks ago, i finally got around to replacing my front pads and rotors due to a heavy vibration felt throughout the car and the steering wheel while braking. It initially solved the vibrations, but now they are back.

Now, about once a day while driving I will suddenly smell something burning. Sometimes, while decelerating, the car will want to pull to the right. One would think both of these point to a sticking passenger side caliper.

However, whenever I check temperatures of my front wheels after a drive, my driver side wheel is ALWAYS warmer than the passenger side (checked with my hand).

I also jacked the front of the car up and spun the passenger side wheel - you can hear two distinct sounds during its rotation: contacting only one pad and contacting both pads.

Is it possible that my right-front caliper is sticking closed sometimes and sticking open other times? I'm open to any and all ideas....

#2 ·
Consider the caliper piston, guidepins...inspect caliper seal...also, feel the inside rotor from the top after a drive on the highway of 10 mins. Pull over without using brakes...then feel rotor temp.

Clean guidepin bushings...clean hub, rotor both inside and out, wheel inside to ensure perfect mating...clean up the surfaces after cleaning with sandpaper, wire wheel, whatever.

That's my idea...hth

#3 ·
I felt the inside of the rotor after about 10 minutes on the highway and pulled off without using the brakes - rotors were same temperature. On the drive, however, one stop at a stoplight pulled the car pretty hard to my left (right caliper stuck open?).

#5 ·
Sounds like a potentially bad caliper. Could be an internally collapsed brake hose as well, so inspect the hose too. Either get a rebuild kit and rebuild both calipers or just get remans and save yourself the trouble and time of replacing the guidepin bushings, sqaure cut seal and dustboot. Make sure everything is properly lubricated where it should be and dry where it shouldnt. Also make sure your brake fluid reservoir has adequate amount of fluid and the hydraulic system is properly blead.

The smell you are refering too is normal on brand new pads/ rotors, its the chemicals burning off, it should go away within 50 miles or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.