E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Is Tire Discounters missing something here?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  CinCI323 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 323ci. I purchased it about 2 months ago. In the last two months I have noticed these things:

- "thumping/popping" sound comes from the front of the car occasionally, esp. when turning.
- The steering wheel shakes under braking at higher speeds (no pulsating in the brake pedal).
- The car wobbles at slow speeds, and slightly vibrates at higher speeds (getting worse).
- The back rear tire is worn to the steel, and front pass. side tire is worn down all the way along the edge (this is recent)

I took it into Tire Discounters yesterday, and the guy gave me an estimate for this:

- 2 front struts
- 2 strut mounts (recommended)
- 2 anti-sway bars (recommended)
- 2 new rotors
- 2 new brake pads (recommended)
- wear indicator
- 4 new tires

He also pulled some white plastic piece from somewhere in the front suspension, that looks like the letter "C", and sort of hinges. I don't remember what he said it was for, but he said that might be what was causing the "popping" sound, but it wasn't. It's a BMW part, so I have no idea why he removed it, but I doubt it matters at this point.

My question is, given the set of issues this car is having, could this all really be caused by one bad strut, and a warped rotor?

My gut is telling me it can't be, and I don't want to drop $1,000 into this car to fix things that might not be the source of the problem, let alone spend $600 on tires just to get me by until they are destroyed 2,000 miles later.

What does it sound like to those of you who know all about these cars, and problems? And does it make sense to replace all of this stuff with OEM-type parts, or to go aftermarket, and get a little more value for the money?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
OP,

I read your post carefully. I agree with your mechanic, all items (with one exception) listed should be replaced. The exception is the "sway bars", I'm not sure I understand this one very well. Does he mean replace the sway bars with new ones, or just the bushings & hardware ? If it's just the bushings & hardware, then yes to that. Personally I would not just replace the front struts, but all four at the same time. I know you didn't want to hear that, but that's really the way to do it. When finished it will drive & stop like a new Bimmer should.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response...

On the sway bars, he was suggesting I replace them entirely. He said something to the effect of the bars having a tendency to "break" during the process of replacing the struts.

:facepalm:

I personally thought this was nonsense, and just filed it away under "yeah, if that happens you'll be paying to replace them." I have no idea why he recommended that, other than him wanting to make some more money. In any case, I already decided that is not something I'm going to replace.

I guess I'll roll with the rest of it though. I see no point in replacing the struts/shocks with the Monroe "OEM replacements" he priced. I think I'll go with those Koni ST.-whatevers. Same price, seemingly an upgrade from stock.

Thanks for the perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.