E46 Fanatics Forum banner

VMR CSL 18'' or 19''?

50K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  tpratt2 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting VMR CSL reps for my 330ci. Just wondering what would look better. 18's or 19's. If you guys can post some pictures that would be helpful. Also if someone has a titanium silver with hypersilver wheels that would be even better. Thanks.

#46 ·
I have no clue what half of you guys are talking about. Some of your claims are ridiculous. I live in LA and I went with 19" VMR V710's and I'm so glad I went with them over the 18's. The ride is no harsher than it already is and the car is not any slower what so ever.

Just get a good set of tires and you will be ok. I went with the Hankook Ventus V12's and I'm happy with how it turned out. Also, for those saying your car will be slower, how so? If anything your car just got lighter(or at least not gotten any heavier) depending on if you've went from your stock rims to something like these VMR's because the VMR's are actually lighter than your stock rims.

#50 · (Edited)
Haha exactly. My ride didn't get any worse! I was prepared for something a little more rough, but was surprised when it rode exactly like before! Went with the VB3's. I was about the get the V710's. They look amazing as well :thumbup:

no they really do look good. i think i'm getting 18"s just because i feel like the 19"s are too big for a non-m. i really think they look damn good on your car, but it's just my personal preference and the fact that the roads here are schit.
Thanks dude! yeah the roads here aren't to bad, at least where I live. So 19s worked out perfectly!

#67 ·
#53 ·
If anybody is still looking for a 19" CSL style wheel, you might want to consider the Sportline CS.16 CSL Style Wheel as it'll be lighter, and stronger than most aftermarket CSL Style wheels out there. Here's a few pictures and more info:

19x8.5 ET35:

19x9.5 ET45

Sportline CS.16 CSL Style Wheels 18" & 19"- BMW E36/E46/E9X/Z3/Z4
http://www.modbargains.com/Sportline-CS16-CSL-Style-Wheels-BMW.htm

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly via PM, email or simply give me a call at:

714.582.3330 Extension 8002 - Jurrian
Jurrian@modbargains.com

#54 ·
Stronger, Lighter, and Powdercoated...

WIN :bow:

#90 · (Edited)
The Sportline CS16 wheels are rotary forged and are actually affordable and wont break the bank. A non-staggered set of 18" Sportline CS16 start at $899 and is definitely a track performance ready wheel!

Haha, now look at how much they weigh. Guess it is magic. What a joke, someone needs to tell Modbargains to pull their head out and get consistant. :facepalm:
The wheels that we weight in that comparison were all 19x9.5 ET20-33 offsets. A wheel with a lower offset is going to have more back spacing material, thus increasing the weight. A wheel with a higher offset would have less back spacing material and will be much lighter. It's possible that the weights listed on the site are of the 19x8.5 ET40 offsets which would be significantly lighter than the 19x9.5 ET22 wheels.

#93 · (Edited)
#95 ·
Well it's not like you're gonna lose that much performance with the 19s so get those for a better look. It does increase rotating weight and the weight is further from the center but it's not like it's a Lamborghini so you won't notice a difference. 19s it is.

#97 ·
Well it's not like you're gonna lose that much performance with the 19s so get those for a better look. It does increase rotating weight and the weight is further from the center but it's not like it's a Lamborghini so you won't notice a difference. 19s it is.
actually the less power the more likely you will notice and the more power the less you'd notice

#102 · (Edited)
Not necessarily. I am proposing that we test whether a person driving his own car would be able to notice the difference in performance between different wheel diameters, in a blind test. They would not know what size was mounted, they would just be asked if they felt a difference in acceleration, cornering, road feel, braking, and ride quality when going from a 17 to 18 to 19 inch wheel. I am sure that most would notice a difference in cornering between a 17in wheel and a 19in wheel, but I wonder if the difference in acceleration would be noticeable when doing back to back tests. So, nothing scientific, just perception. I suppose that it would not hurt to measure acceleration as well. So, with a test like this, the suspension setup they have would not matter, since they would only be comparing how their car feels to them, not one car v/s another. Of course, if their car is so low that it creates a clearance issue, then it would be a problem.
Anyway, it is just speculation for now. I have no idea if something like that could even be arranged. I also don't know if I could find enough people to agree to have 3 separate sets of wheels mounted on their car for testing purposes. People can be pretty picky when it comes to things like that.

Maybe whoever is posting on this thread for Modbargins would be interested in helping out with a test like this? How about it? Do you want to come to NC, and help out with a wheel test? Or, you could just send me the wheel/tire sets, and I could arrange the tests, take some photos, and post a thread about it on here. I could send the wheels back when we were done, and you would not have to come to NC. Also, you could get some free publicity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.