E46 Fanatics Forum banner

steering wheel/seat vibration

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 
#1 ·
Ive replaced my wheel bearings, control arms w/ bushings, rotors, brakes, got alignment but I still get slight vibration in steering wheel and seat. its not uniform and sometimes goes away to a perfectly smooth ride on the same surface for a very short time. My tires still have good tread but my mechanic said that one was a little unevenly worn. Im wondering if its tires or something else that could be the issue? Any ideas? Thanks.

PS: By slight vibration I mean very slight, although I have rotational noise and it seems like my road noise is louder than when i got the car.

#4 ·
Your wheels might not be balanced (maybe threw a weight?)...also the rim can get bent and even though they can be balanced, you'd still feel it.

Then there are those things you didn't do anything about yet...struts/shocks...tie rod ends...that sort of thing.

I chased a vibration for about two years until I discovered the inside rim of my front wheel was bent...and I discovered it because the guy balancing my new tires noticed it on his slow speed balancer. The high speed (expensive) balancing machines can spin the wheel so fast you wouldn't notice the hop in the rim...but if you lift up your car, spin the wheel and look for a hop, you'll see it if it's there. If so, try moving that wheel to the rear where you won't notice it so much. Technically, you'd keep the tires in the same corners they're at now, as bmw doesn't recommend rotating tires.

#8 ·
Is it an intermittent vibration that you can feel in your seat? I felt them with my worn and cupped tires. New tires fixed it. I also think it could have something to do with drivetrain vibration but I don't know. I could probably do for a guibo change at some point.

#10 · (Edited)
While I was under the front end the other day I noticed my sway bar bushings were looking a little worn.

I'm getting similar vibration at freeway speeds in the steering wheel. I have Bilsteins about 1 year old and FCAsFCABs also.

Edit: end links were replaced also.

Tie rods seem solid. So what do you guys think about the SB bushings being the cause?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.