E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Need advice before buying E46 convertible, thx

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Paul88 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My name is Paul. I'm new to BMW. I have my eye on E46 convertible, it's a 2004 with 88,000 miles on it. It dose have sport and cold package. I've never had soft top before but some of my friends said wind noise can be annoying.

I'd like to ask you all expertise for some advices before I pull the trigger. Any known mechanical problems for the engine, soft top etc? All advices are certainly appreciated.

Best,

Paul

#3 ·
i have a 2002 M3 Vert, and it has 110xxx miles on it, and so far no mechanical problems for the soft top. as for as the motor my vanos was on its way out around 90xxx. as long as you have the PPI done, and call BMW and tell them the VIN # and see if any recalls or inspections were performed. wind noise isnt too bad, nothing unbearable. the most annoying thing i would say about the verts would be the creeking noises you hear when youre going over speed bumps or dips, other than that i love it.

#6 · (Edited)
As others have said wind noise is not really a problem - but you should drive the one you are looking at.
Creaking and ticking noises are common. Most disapear with the top lowered (which is how it should be most of the time ;)

Some past threads you might find useful

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=931429&highlight=
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966748&highlight=
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966748&highlight=

good luck. Nice cars :)

edit: since buying all I've done is
get second key $180
aligned at dealer $180
new tires michelin pilot super sport
drive and enjoy

I'll do cooling system and fuel pump/filter at some point (and before driving long distance away from home) as preventative maintenance. Maybe this summer - but I hate wasting nice weather, and will be doing work in my driveway. I should also replace the still original battery. I figure do them now and I should have 10 more reliable years. Can't wait to get it back on the road - it sleeps during salt season.

#9 ·
Thanks so much guys. I certainly appreciate your all inputs. I was reluctant to post the link of the selling cars due to I don't know much about the rules on the forum as well as asking for a fair market price. I did some research using edmunds and kbb for used car price and the seller asking price is well above the private party price. Here are the link

1st car http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3649504458.html
2nd car http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3711887996.html

The second car hasn't had any pics on it but the seller sent some of them to me already.

Again, guys, thanks a lot for your advice and to moderator, if I break any forum rules, I have to apologize and please feel free to delete my thread.

Best,

Paul

#12 ·
I have a 2004 M3 'vert. Of course it's a touch noisier than a hardtop, but I don't feel it's bad at all. It does tend to be a bit noisier if you have the top up and the windows down. There are some parts of the rear liner that get a touch flappy if you're driving fast. I lot of this is personal preference. My noisy and your noisy may be completely different sound levels. I've never had a passenger complain. I probably drop the top around 70% of the time I'm in the car. That's how much I like it (and the FL weather that allows me to do it).

If you feel the noise is too much after getting one, you can always keep your eye out for a hardtop on eBay\Craigslist, etc.

#14 ·
The unfortunate problem I'm learning about with the e46 vert is that all the hydraulic cylinders will eventually leak. 4 of them are easy to replace, 2 of them require much more work. They are not hard to DIY, yet I was disappointed that I ran into problems with my top so soon after purchase (mine is a 2003.5). The good news is that once the cylinders are rebuilt by Top Hydraulics the hydraulic system should be good for the lifetime of the car.

#15 ·
Looks Nice , but

PPI it - Surely there will repairs that are identified and use that as a basis for getting the price down.

An outstanding body from the looks of it -especially if it is totally free of dings and still sporting excellent paint condition (especially if original)

Make sure the person that owns it treated it like his first born - Premium fuel, regular oil changes, all maint records, low average miles per year driven (especially if not the original owner).

The 323 has enough power unless your more than a casual driver- that's my experience.

#16 ·
What they said. Buy a windscreen and it's even quieter. Verts FTW!

#21 ·
With the soft top, wind noise is not bad at all. For example, when I am driving with the top up, I never say to my self "man, this car is noisy". If you do buy the car, for the warm months when the top is down, I can say the windscreen makes all the difference, reduces noise, wind, and if a lady friend is in the car, it prevents there hair from blowing everywhere. Good luck

#23 · (Edited)
2004 330Ci Vert bought it with 63k miles 11-2011 and have loved it ever since. Should have done a better PPI when purchased but I am very handy with mechanics and have now brought her up to the excellent condition I strive to keep my vehicles in.

Friends that have ridden in my Vert with the top up have commented on how quiet the ride is and we're surprised they were in a convertible. Top down driving definitely needs the windscreen. That is going to be my next purchase.

Coolant expansion tank leaked at 82k miles and I replaced the entire cooling system with no problems since. Once you go Vert it's tough to go back!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.