E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Balancing 19in Rims NEEDED??

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  advantyper 
#1 ·
Hi I am looking into buying my first set of 19in rims, some friends told me I have to get an alignment after I install a set of 19in rims, my car have the 18in sport rims, I don't think +1 size in rims and tire would need an alignment or balance.. Did any fanatics got an alignment after installing 19in rims?

Tks

#2 ·
its not the increase in size that warrants a balance. you should balance any new wheel/tire you get. Even if you put new tires on your existing rims, you should have them balanced. Hell, your current rims can unbalance themselves and youll have to have it done again.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I forgot to mentioned, I will get the tire and wheel balance...

Its just my friend told me you suppose to get an alignment after you put on 19in rims, because it will cause uneven tire wear and all... I think he is full of BS... but just want to see if any other member have gotten an alignment after puttin' on 19s

Tks

Dalton said:
its not the increase in size that warrants a balance. you should balance any new wheel/tire you get. Even if you put new tires on your existing rims, you should have them balanced. Hell, your current rims can unbalance themselves and youll have to have it done again.

#6 ·
Well, its best if you do. But it is not needed. The overal diameter of the 19's tires might be different than what you had on previously.

It is up to you tho.

My suggestion is to put the wheels on the car, drive a little and see if the car is pulling or not going straight. If it does any of that, get an alignment done. If none of those occur, you should be ok, but still the alignment maybe off slightly which MAY lead to uneven tire wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.