E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Does your E46 have rules if you lent it out

12K views 120 replies 79 participants last post by  TArse 
#1 · (Edited)
Meaning what would you tell the driver if you lent it out

For me I guess it would be

1. Do Not Ever open any of the windows. If you're at a McDonalds drive thru open the door to get your food

2. Premium Fuel only. I will know if you put in regular and come after you.

3. Avoid putting it in Reverse. If you have to put it in Reverse just let it idle don't give it gas. Reverse drum very fragile.

4. Every 90 seconds keep an eye on the temperature gauge. If it goes in red, pull over immediately and tow the car.

5. Whenever you buy fuel, check the oil level.

6. The car is rear wheel drive so no driving like an idiot in the winter

7. Don't pull the door handle towards you, pull at a 45 degree angle to the vertical.

8. Whenever you exit vehicle and are about to shut door, make sure the seat belt isn't in the way.

9. Do not put a pop can in the 2nd cup holder closer to the rear of the vehicle and attempt to use the arm rest.

See less See more
#37 ·
I told my wife to take my car last week to run an errand. Her car wouldn't start and my LR was full of path stones and gravel powder. She backed the car carefully out of the driveway, came to a complete stop, shifted into D and proceded to lay rubber for a few seconds. The look on her face was priceless.

#50 ·
Geez, a bunch of Scrooges on this thread!!! My wife drives it when she h a s to. Can you imagine such an attitude? She normally drives her own Dodge Journey. Omg! I've let my son take it to college twice - both times for one week stints. Funny thing is, and I'm very proud of him for this, he treats it much better than his own car. He knows how much I love it - and at over 10 years, I love it just about as much now as the day I picked it up in Munich (that's so some of you guys know what to expect from these absolutely wonderful cars) - and treats it accordingly. My only rule for the wife and kid (and me) is - absolutely no food consumed in the car and only clear liquids. Sometimes I'll drink black coffee, but not regularly.

#51 · (Edited)
1. You don't floor it.

2. YOU DON'T. FLOOR IT.

3. You don't take it around curves fast.

4. You don't have friends put their feet up on the dash

5. You don't eat in it

6. You drive it carefully as if it were a Honda Civic

7. Only I am allowed to break rules 1-5, because I know how my car responds

#52 ·
Rule 1. Nobody drives / uses the car but me.
Rule 2. Which part of Rule 1 don't you understand?

That's it. End of story. Did I miss anything else????? Oh yes...that also goes for my M3.

#54 ·
Like veryone else said. No one but me will ever drive my car.

Back in highschool my friend used to take e36 from his friend. Should I continue?

#56 ·
Geez oh Pete! It's just a stupid car. Anybody can drive my car and they can do whatever they want to provided they pay to have it fixed. I would only lend my vehicle to people I trust anyway. But come on guys! It's just a hunk of metal, the only value it has is what you give it and far too many of you act like it's a bar of gold.

#60 ·
If you borrow my car the rules are as follows...

Do not drive it
Do not look at it
Do not touch it
Don't even think you borrowed it

Seriously though, nobody borrows my vehicles or drives them PERIOD.

I also do not drive other people's cars. Had the opportunity to take someone's Porsche on a closed course last year, tempting, but had to pass. I could not be a hypocrite.

It's not that the car is like a bar of gold or so precious that it can't be replaced ... Bottom line, in general, people are careless and disrespectful with items that are not theirs. Obviously there are exceptions, but they still don't drive my cars.

#61 · (Edited)
My rules:

don't wreck it
don't abuse it
don't curb the wheels
Be careful where you park it (park a few cars away, I don't want parking lot dents..)

Other than that I don't care. It's only my parents or cousins who drive/ or have driven my car. I trust all of them 100% so I don't worry about my car when I leave it in their hands

#69 ·
I don't let people borrow my car except for immediate family and a few friends. I would let a select few cousins that are trust worthy but they can't drive stick. Select few friends are allowed if I know that they will take care of it. No rules or anything special, just treat it nicely. Well, there is one rule, no revving high until she's warm. Once she's warm, do whatever you want.

Its not a matter of my car having a soul or being irreplaceable, its a matter of respect. Most people don't have respect for other people's stuff. I work hard for my money and I don't want it to be wasted because someone else doesn't give a crap about my stuff. I hated giving people rides when I was in USMC because they didn't have common courtesy. Not that my car is above any one or anything, but you don't need to slam the door as hard as people do, don't need to kick the door panels every time you get in and out of the car, don't need to throw the seat back (coupe) and stuff. Just common courtesy that not many people have any more. My car is a 2001, the interior looks decent because I do little things to take care of it. I'd like to keep it that way, and I know most other people won't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.