E46 Fanatics Forum banner

A/C stopped blowing cold just like that

892 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RetreatWI 
#1 ·
My A/C stopped blowing cold from one start to the next. The fan blows normally. If it was low on R134, would the cold air just stop, or would there be a gradual warm up of the air over some time?

I checked the condenser tubes and none are cold. Also, holding RPMs at 1500 and turning on A/C does not lower RPMs as I read it should in another post.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Yes, there's a low pressure sensor in the system that prevents the compressor clutch from engaging. Some things to check:
- is the compressor's belt intact
- does the AC controller operate normally
- are the 2 wires on the AC low pressure sensor in place (the sensor is on the dryer IIRC)

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, AC controls operate normally. I'll look at the belts and wires tonight if I can. I already had a recharge kit in the garage so I thought I'd try that. I hooked it up and the gauge read "0" and no coolant entered the system. I thought that was odd. I'm thinking the coupler isn't depressing the Schrader valve down on the Low side fitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.